Help us decide which ship

mmpgoodtogo

My husband and I are determined to book a cruise for Jan 09 before the spring semester starts. The problem is that we can't decide between two sailings. The Dawn is leaving Miami on 1-3 and heading to St. Thomas, Tortola, Samana, and Great-Stirrup Cay. The Pearl is leaving 1-4 and heads to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and GSC. Both are 7 day trips. Also the price for flights and the cruise are within pennies of each other. As far as room choices, we would book the least expensive of the inside rooms or a gty room simply b/c we don't spend much time in it.

Our dilemma is that we have not been on a ship as new as the Pearl, but it is the exact same itinerary we took last January on the Sun. However, we didn't mind the itinerary at all. The Dawn is about 5 years older and we have not been to most of the ports.

Is there any input you wonderful cruisers have that could help to sway us one way or another. We have read reviews and researched the ports, but we are undecided.

Thanks in advance!!

I have been on the Dawn twice with a 3rd trip next month. Shes a great ship but I would go on the Pearl. Its a beautiful ship and you can't beat that new ship smell!

If you really want to see new places then I would go for the Dawn but I would personally pick the Pearl for the ship.

Don't let the Dawn's "age" stand in the way. She's still a fine ship!

I'd say go with new itinerary, but that's just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks. What matters is what YOU want to get out of your cruise.

I think you should decide which is more important to your enjoyment of the cruise ... the ship or the itinerary. We have been on both ships and both itineraries. We just went on the Dawn on that itinerary earlier this year. We are beach people and had a blast at the Baths (Tortola) and Cayo Levantado (Samana). The Dawn is still a great ship and aging is not evident. The Pearl is an awesome ship, and if the experience of a new ship will make the cruise more enjoyable, then its an easy choice. Cannot wait to hear which you choose.

We chose the Dawn cruise on 1-3 based in itinerary, seems the Dawn has many fans on this board, even though they are harder to find lately. But this is my first cruise so I really can't advise.

We are beach people and had a blast at the Baths (Tortola) and Cayo Levantado (Samana).

:) We'll be visiting both in January, and I'm glad you had fun.

I'm a real Dawn fan and can't wit to go on her again. Beautiful ship and terrific crew! But then again.. I go for the ship and not so much the itinerary.

If I were younger I'd go with a different itinerary. It's so much fun to see different places.

Happy cruise. :)

Our decision would be based on the itinerary. Although we have sailed the Dawn twice and have our third cruise booked on her, that is simply because she is sailing itineraries we want to do at the times we want to do them.

The Dawn is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew, but we DO hope to sail a different ship in the not so distant future as well.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what ship/itinerary you choose! :)

We chose the Dawn cruise on 1-3 based in itinerary, seems the Dawn has many fans on this board, even though they are harder to find lately. But this is my first cruise so I really can't advise.

:) We'll be visiting both in January, and I'm glad you had fun.

The baths are really worth seeing. After we climbed thru all the rocks and caves, I truly thought I was in paradise!!! It was breathtaking.

Samana was beautiful also. We did not do the beach at Cayo, but instead did a jeep excursion thru the countryside. It was beautiful and so much fun.

We went last Jaunary and the temps were in the 80's. A magnificent time.

I need your problem.

LOL - Post cruise depression Hockey? ;)

OP - I'd go for the different itinerary - new places to explore - although I have to admit I'd be tempted with the newer ship - but the Dawn usually has such great reviews as well. The Pearl is a much larger ship and at the moment is experiencing an azipod problem - so until NCL gets her into dry dock she will continue to experience the same problems she's having now. Therefore, I'd go with Dawn

Good for you! I would have picked the new itinerary as well. It's kind of funny for me to read the varying opinions about how old a ship must be before she's called "old.". 5 years to me is not very old, but alot of people differ on this one.

Archived