Careful: Locked Suitcases Are NOT SECURE!

Leo Jay

OK, I watched the video. So how come I can't fix the broken zipper on my high qual...er...priced Samsonite Spinner garment bag? Its not broken anywhere just split. I run the zipper one way and its open behind the zip. Run the other way, open behind the zip the other direction. I need a thief to fix it for me.

Dan

Folks probably get tired of me posting the s-o-s ( same old "stuff") but here goes... :rolleyes:

1. I have used day-glo orange and yellow tie-wraps for years with no problems.

2. Don't put high $$$ stuff in your luggage. My laptop and my camera gear go with me.

3. Last but not least - you're luggage is much more likely to be lost by the airline than its is to be stolen.

and as a follow up - travel insurance that covers baggage loss or delay is always a good investment - better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. ;)

I've never locked my suitcase anywhere - and before retiring' date=' I spent at least 180 days in the air or on the road....or asea.

Anyone who really wants to get into your suitcase will do it. My theory is; I'd rather they use the zipper than use a box cutter or ruin the zippers by using force. I never, ever put anything in my suitcase that I would miss if I never saw it again. If they want to rifle through a bunch of clothes and a coupla pair of well-used shoes, have at it.

On the other hand, I've never had anything taken from my suitcase, never had one vandalized. From my experience, it appears that large, heavy suitcases locked up like Fort Knox are thief magnets......[/quote']

I'm with you. I have never locked it, and I never put anything in there but clothes.

• 3 weeks later...

You have got to be kidding me..... If you don't lock your luggage you are asking for something to go missing!!! You at the very least have to make it difficult for a person to steal something. Come on, their are more lazy thieves than ones that are willing to work at it!

I'm also one who never locks my luggage. The only thing I pack in my luggage is clothes and toiletries/makeup.

If they steal my clothes (after all I am not packing designer clothes) they must need them worse than I do. It would just give me another reason to go shopping.

I take my costume jewerly and medicine in my carryon. I never take my good jewelry on a vacation. If I'm not wearing it (like my wedding ring) the good stuff stays home in the safe.

I'd be more pi$$ed if someone cut open my luggage than if they stole some clothes and shampoo. My luggage is so pretty and easy to spot. Our of all our cruises and vacations I have never once seen any like it.

Archived