contaminated food on oriana - should i complain?

danceman

Just got back from a 7 day northern med cruise on Oriana. Cruise went well but on one lunch time, we decided to eat in the main restaurant. Part way through the meal our 8 year old daughter suddenly said 'ouch' indicating she had bitten on something. She pulled out of her mouth a stone about the size of my little finger nail which had been in the peas. We called the waiter over and explained who then called the head waiter. He apologised and took the stone away. Shortly after, our daugher said her tooth felt rough and sharp and it would appear she has chipped the tooth (not sure if its one of her baby teeth or her second tooth)

Next day we had a letter apologising for the incident with assurances that they will be more vigilant in the future. There was no contact number on the letter but it did say that if we wanted to discuss it further then to contact them. I dropped by at reception and said that i would probably just write in but they were insistant i talked to the food and bev manager first. After 3 attempted meetings ( he couldnt make it) i finally met him and he gave me the p & o address to where i could write if i wanted to.

Does anyone think i should bother writing in? Should i ask for compensation or is it just one of those things that happen? Just wondered if anyone had any experiences of this kind of thing?

I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to have your daughter's tooth checked by a dentist. The costs of that examination would be passed on to P&O, as would the costs of any treatment that the dentist recommended. (Which might be nothing, of course.)

Write in.

No need to ask for anything at this time, merely write in and state the facts. That way it will be on record on shore as well as on board. If you write reasonably they might even make you a token offer or you could perhaps suggest cheekily that they send your daughter a present.

The letter you had is clearly a standard letter as I had one on the Aurora. In my case it was a fired beetle in the bacon in the buffet. The duty manager said both he and the chef were surprised there was a beetle in the bacon. I responded that I would have been even more surprised had they not been surprised. I didn't follow up the letter, perhaps I ought but I was surprised that they continued to allow people to take bacon from the same bacon tray.

i think that i would have probably been pacified had they sent a token gift....like a teddy bear from the shop would have been a nice touch. But with the rather poor customer relations they showed, i still feel a bit agrieved....i'll write in and see what happens. - in theory, the incident could have been a lot worse. Thanks for the comments.

Archived