Is it True?

Cruzer Nut

Have heard whispers that in Noumea on Monday's most of the shops are closed.

Is it true and if they are what happens to the shore tours? We missed out on seeing the Aquarium last time we were there as it was under reconstruction.

Have been told we HAVE to go there to look at the coral.

Has anyone been to the Aquarium since it reopened and is the cost worth it???

Hi Cruzer Nut,

Both the Aquarium and the Tjibaou Cultural Centre are closed on Mondays, although the Tjibaou Centre opens for tours from the ship. I emailed them earlier this year to see if we could visit independently when they opened for the ship's tour, and the answer was 'no'. I don't know if the aquarium opens for ship's tours on Mondays. I see your cruise is in Noumea on a Monday.

We plan to go to the new aquarium in October.:):)

I wandered through the new aquarium in Noumea a couple of months ago. Not an extra large facility by some standards, but well presented, clean, and excellent water clarity. Quite a range of diverse habitats on display. Well worth a visit, though it doesn't take long to walk through. Easy walking distance from the beaches in the area.

I can't remember what it cost offhand but it was quite affordable. To be honest, it is easy to get lost between all the different currency conversions. In the end, it costs what it costs. You hand out the coloured bits of paper until they seem to be happy. :o

Re shop openings. Also remember that each day, there is a siesta period after lunch/mid afternoon for 2-3 hours when most shops including banks, local buses etc are closed.

Hi Cruzer Nut,

Both the Aquarium and the Tjibaou Cultural Centre are closed on Mondays, although the Tjibaou Centre opens for tours from the ship. I emailed them earlier this year to see if we could visit independently when they opened for the ship's tour, and the answer was 'no'. I don't know if the aquarium opens for ship's tours on Mondays. I see your cruise is in Noumea on a Monday.

We plan to go to the new aquarium in October.:):)

We were in Noumea on a Monday last November, we missed the aquarium, but only because the filtration system had packed up. So I assume they were going to be open if not for that.

Don

We were in Noumea on a Monday last November, we missed the aquarium, but only because the filtration system had packed up. So I assume they were going to be open if not for that.

Don

Hi Don,

I was going by their website that says they are closed on Mondays. (As I said in my previous post) maybe they open if there is a ship in port.:):)

Archived