Nervous, anyone?

pennies

We`ve been looking forward to our first ever cruise (September 20th) on the mariner of the seas, western carribbean cruise from Port Canaveral however with all the hurricanes and storms out there at the moment it quite scary and dangerous. I have bought loads of summer clothes with the hope of basking in the 30 degree sun however now it looks like I`ll have to pack wet gear and an umbrella. Any tips anyone for cruising this time of year. What temperatures can we expect to see this timeof year in florida, thanks

I depart from miami on the 21st sept for jamaica,key west and grand cayman.

It`s too far in advance to know what will happen but if we are to be affected in the western caribbean they will re rout possibly to the eastern.

Cruise ships can out run storms and they will never take you into danger.

Take ginger tablets. Try googling sea sick remedies!!!!.

It WILL be fine. Florida usually gets sunshine most of the day with heavy rain showers for 1-2hrs most days in the afternoon. You will most definately get to wear your summer clothes.

I live in Florida and am leaving for a cruise on 9/5. I am not concerned at all about my upcoming trip. The worst that can happen is the cruise line will change my ports of call...any way I look at it I am still on vacation regardless of what port we visit.

You have no need to worry about a trip in mid September yet...it was way too early to even know what may or may not be there.

Thanks a million, guys, you`ve put me at ease. its just that we have put so much into planning this holiday that I wasn`t sure how much a hurricane can affect the cruise liners. I had visions of me sitting on our balcony in wet clothes with an umbrella :)

I am nervous....we leave on the 7th and I am nervous about our flights and getting to Orlando.

We live in Phx and have a stop in Charlotte on our way to MCO. right on the day Hanna is visiting:o

so the nice folks on this board have me convinced that its a vacation once I get on the ship...ok....

but I am wondering where my ship will go if Ike is sitting in the way of going to West Caribb AND the East Carrib.:rolleyes:

I only sail during peak hurricane season due to the much cheaper prices [they aren't priced that way for nothing] anyhow, in all my years of cruising I have only had one instance that caused a problem, we missed Cozumel and high-tailed it to the Bahamas to avoid any problems. It's tougher when two are coming at basically the same time in both Gulf and Atlantic seaboard, but roll with the flow. I'm due to sail 9/14 on Mariner and while I'm concerned, I just need a small window to fly from Texas to Orlando. Once on the ship I don't care where we go. People who would be really upset if a hurricane caused a change of ports or plans would be better off going during another time of the year. I know the risk and am willing to face the consequences.

;)

We were scheduled to sail a 5 day cruise out of New Orleans right after Katrina, our cruise was cancelled but the vacation time was booked so we upped it to a 7 day from Galveston (Carnival gave us some ship board credit) and ended up out to sea for 9 days due to Rita hitting Galveston. 2 extra days of cruising, including an extra port and all we had to do (not that we were forced) was tip staff the extra days.

Talk about memories...We are sailing again 9-20...

I only sail during peak hurricane season due to the much cheaper prices [they aren't priced that way for nothing] anyhow, in all my years of cruising I have only had one instance that caused a problem, we missed Cozumel and high-tailed it to the Bahamas to avoid any problems. It's tougher when two are coming at basically the same time in both Gulf and Atlantic seaboard, but roll with the flow. I'm due to sail 9/14 on Mariner and while I'm concerned, I just need a small window to fly from Texas to Orlando. Once on the ship I don't care where we go. People who would be really upset if a hurricane caused a change of ports or plans would be better off going during another time of the year. I know the risk and am willing to face the consequences.

I'm with you, we just need a small window of time to fly from Dayton Ohio to Miami....I hope we get there with no problems. We leave 9/14!!

Wish us and you luck!!

Henepup

Yep, I'm nervous. I am not nervous about the cruise though because the ship can MOVE. :D The captain isn't going to take you into the hurricane. You just have to be flexible with ports.

I am nervous about sitting in Orlando pre-cruise for 6 days. We can't move Disney World. ;) So we are going to be at the mercy of Mother Nature for those 6 days.

I am getting so nervous! My mother in law called my this morning about cruises being cancelled!

We are 'supposed' to be getting on the Sovereign on Monday for the Bahamas...hopefully we'll atleast get on that boat and go somewhere! :mad:

Does anyone know where they take us it the hurricane is heading for the Bahamas? Do we just go out and sail around and go back into port?

Yep, I'm nervous. I am not nervous about the cruise though because the ship can MOVE. :D The captain isn't going to take you into the hurricane. You just have to be flexible with ports.

I am nervous about sitting in Orlando pre-cruise for 6 days. We can't move Disney World. ;) So we are going to be at the mercy of Mother Nature for those 6 days.

I would be nervous too...sitting is Orlando for 6 days!!! Good luck!

Henepup

Michele, are you in Orlando now? it looks as if the weather is prob decent there today and tomorrow.;)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=important_updates

Here's a link for RCL updates on the storms.... Like everyone else has advised... Not to worry... They won't put you in any danger.

I also travel during this season for the INSANELY low prices... I think I'm even going to upgrade my trip on the 12th out of Miami (Carnival Fasincation) to a suite because they are only 319 with the discounts today!

We are also on the Mariner on the 14th. We're flying down on the 13th - Hannah should be through here around this weekend - hopefully Ike will make it through before Saturday, the 13th. We also have family going from Charleston SC... so this eastern path of these hurricanes will make it interesting to say the least.

Just give me that window.... and the ability to LAND in Orlando. After that, I don't care where we go - just get us on the ship.

Getting a little nervous. I know we'll miss Hanna..sailing on NCL Sky Monday from Miami to Bahamas...probably not Bahamas now, but who knows where. I've always cruised with my DH and this one is a "sister trip" with my two sisters. :eek: One of whom has never cruised before and is wondering what she is getting herself into here! I hope Ike goes to sleep or something!:cool: Maybe I can smuggle DH on with me! Not to thrilled to be without him on this one!

I am getting nervous... I leave on the Sovereign next Friday, and it looks like Ike has the potential to do some real damage to the Bahamas. I also have to fly down to Orlando from DC, so I'm a little worried in case something hits land on Thursday. PLUS Josephine is up next in line! :eek:

I'm not nervous about the cruise, I'm more worried about getting to Tampa on the 12 (IKE!!). The way I figure it, either we fly 'close enough' and drive a rental down to Tampa or we drive down from here and cancel the flight (16 hour drive :( from where we live.)

I know the lines move away from the storms but what are the seas like then? Should I expect some heavy rolling about?

It is my first venture into hurricane cruising...my friends talked me into it...well actually they booked it and I wasn't about to turn down a chance to cruise with friends:p .

I am a "wear a patch and still need to take pills" kinda of cruiser so it is the rockin' n rollin' part I worry about. I could care less where the ship goes......it will be my third trip to Coz in 9 months so if we miss it....ohhh well......................it's not my favorite anyway:D

Flying from NH so I will need clear skys for the flights.....the boat can take me anywhere it chooses. No worries Mon....no worries. A lot can change weather wise in 2 weeks.......Coming from New England where it changes drastically every 5 minutes I know predicting 2 weeks from now is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Vacation is vacation.......relax and don't fret about the things out of your control......:)

I'm not nervous about the cruise, I'm more worried about getting to Tampa on the 12 (IKE!!). The way I figure it, either we fly 'close enough' and drive a rental down to Tampa or we drive down from here and cancel the flight (16 hour drive :( from where we live.)

I completely understand. Based on the current model/track, it looks like Thursday (when I am flyin down to Orlando) will not be a good travel day at all. Good point about the rental... I was worried so much that I haven't even been able to think of viable alternatives)

We are supposed to fly into Tampa next Friday morning. I have a rental car reserved in Ohio and in Tampa, trying to cover all bases. Please just let us get on the Inspiration!!!

I'm the same way. But after looking at the models I think we should be okay, so long as the ship is also there next friday.

Getting a little nervous. I know we'll miss Hanna..sailing on NCL Sky Monday from Miami to Bahamas...probably not Bahamas now, but who knows where. I've always cruised with my DH and this one is a "sister trip" with my two sisters. :eek: One of whom has never cruised before and is wondering what she is getting herself into here! I hope Ike goes to sleep or something!:cool: Maybe I can smuggle DH on with me! Not to thrilled to be without him on this one!

I do not know about this one. Ike is scheduled to be in either the Bahamas or somewhere between the Bahamas, the Florida Keys and Miami/Ft Lauderdale by Monday and Tuesday respectively. We will know more by this weekend, just keep watching the weather channel for updates, as this one looks to be heading towards South Florida. If the course does not change in the next few days, Norwegian might be moving the ship out of Miami and to another Port, they would not bring it here with the storm approaching. Not trying to scare anyone, just make sure you keep yourself informed over this weekend.;)

I'm only nervous about driving into Orlando. I don't want to voluntarily drive into a tropical storm or hurricane. We leave tomorrow morning headed for Florida. From what I understand, the weather is ok there right now. We won't get to Orlando until Sunday though.

Archived