2 nights LA before Cruise - best area to stay?

jobager

Hi,

we´re a goup of 8 people in our mid 30ies cruising from LA with the NCL Star in October 2008.

After staying in Vegas we´re planning a 2 night stay in LA before going onboard. For all of us its the first time visting LA (for some of us even the first time in the USA :) ). I´d be glad if someone could help me with my questions...

I´ve heard about very heavy traffic in LA? I found it very relaxing driving in "smoother" cities like Miami, Twin Cities, Phoenix... How big is the difference to the LA traffic? We´re not sure if we should use our rental cars or public transport / cabs to explore LA...

Which is the better place to stay (nightlife, security...) - Santa Monica or the Hollywood Area? Of course we´re planning to visit both areas, so our decision depends only on the entertainment possibilities around our hotel in the evening hours...

We don´t want to stay in the San Pedro area, it´s to far from the main attractions and we have to drop of our rental car at LAX before our cruise.

Thanks for all the other useful hints I already found on your great site!

Hi,

we´re a goup of 8 people in our mid 30ies cruising from LA with the NCL Star in October 2008.

After staying in Vegas we´re planning a 2 night stay in LA before going onboard. For all of us its the first time visting LA (for some of us even the first time in the USA :) ). I´d be glad if someone could help me with my questions...

I´ve heard about very heavy traffic in LA? I found it very relaxing driving in "smoother" cities like Miami, Twin Cities, Phoenix... How big is the difference to the LA traffic? We´re not sure if we should use our rental cars or public transport / cabs to explore LA...

Which is the better place to stay (nightlife, security...) - Santa Monica or the Hollywood Area? Of course we´re planning to visit both areas, so our decision depends only on the entertainment possibilities around our hotel in the evening hours...

We don´t want to stay in the San Pedro area, it´s to far from the main attractions and we have to drop of our rental car at LAX before our cruise.

Thanks for all the other useful hints I already found on your great site!

Rental cars work best....even with the traffic...taxis aren't easy to find and our public transport system is terrible...

I would choose to stay in Santa Monica over Hollywood...It's a safer, cleaner area...with less traffic, easier parking....More upscale of an area...

As to nightlife, it really depends on what you're looking for...Hollywood has more "clubs" and music and such, Santa Monica is better for restaurants and has a great "strolling" street in the Third Street Promenade...Hollywood can be a little "scary" at night...

You could even stay in Santa Monica and avoid driving to Hollywood by having a tour company pick you up at your hotel and taking a tour of Hollywood...But, if you do everything by rental car, it's much easier to drive from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, Westwood/Getty, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive et al than to do it from Hollywood...though, depending on day of week and time of day, it could be a little frustrating from anywhere...Santa Monica is a little easier to get to and from LAX...taking either Lincoln Blvd. or, more interestingly, Lincoln to Washington and up Pacific/Neilson/Ocean through Venice...

Have fun...

Hello,

Rent cars and check out the UCLA Guesthouse. which is on the campus of UCLA. Despite its name it is an exceptionally nice small scale hotel operated by UCLA. From here you can walk to Westwood, which is a very interesting and very nice part of Los Angeles, with great, reasonably priced restaurants and so on.

A second choice would be Santa Monica, for things to see and do.

Another area would be the cities of Manhattan or Redondo Beach.

And another would be Huntington Beach.

Fred

Thanks for your answers, you´ve been a great help!!!

Just booked the Santa Monica Travel Lodge and extended the car rent until our cruise departure.

I couldn´t manage to find a tour company picking us up down there but if we plan enough time, it shouldn´t be a problem to arrive in Hollywood in time (maybe some agent reading this wants to contact me - anyhow we´re 8 people in one catch :D )

Looking forward to some exciting days in Vegas and LA :)

Thanks for your answers, you´ve been a great help!!!

Just booked the Santa Monica Travel Lodge and extended the car rent until our cruise departure.

I couldn´t manage to find a tour company picking us up down there but if we plan enough time, it shouldn´t be a problem to arrive in Hollywood in time (maybe some agent reading this wants to contact me - anyhow we´re 8 people in one catch :D )

Looking forward to some exciting days in Vegas and LA :)

Jobager!

I hope that you come back to read this!

Please cancel those reservations!

The Santa Monica Beach Travelodge is a dump at best - and terrible rude service!

The other Santa Monica Travelodge (on Pico Blvd.) is so far from anything cool, no pool, nothing great in the area.

Either one, is a terrible choice for your group!

Please click on these links and choose one of these hotels instead!

You will be much much happier!

Cal Mar Hotel and Suites

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

or Hotel California

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=451075

I also have a big question though...

You're a group in your 30s and you want "nightlife".

What does that mean to you? Do you want some actual clubs, music venues, restaurants? (that would be Hollywood)

Or do you just want casual restaurants or pubs that will be closed by 10 PM or 11 PM? (That would be Santa Monica)

There is a huge difference in these two places, and depending on your definition of "nightlife" - I might recommend Hollywood way ahead of Santa Monica for that.

I'll post some recommendations after this...

I´m back :-) thanks for your warning...

I´ve already read your review of the Cal Mar and tried to book it but I always got an error while trying to submit the reservation form (tried with IE, Mozilla and even Chrome). So I choosed - based on the tripadvisor ranking - the Travel Lodge on Pico Blvd. I´ve read there is a bus stop near the hotel to the waterfront for 75 ct so this should be manageable.

Which kind of nightlife depends on the situation :confused: I think in our first night after driving such a long time (OK, long time for germans, you´re probably used to this) it´s OK if the restaurant / pub closes at 11 pm. For the second day we´re planning to do the Hollywood Tour and staying in Hollywood until the evening hours, so we´re able to compare which kind of nightlife is the right for us and drive back early or not.

Maybe it would be the best for us to stay in a restaurant which closes at 11 pm in the night before our cruise, too :)

That Travelodge on Pico isn't really that good, or in an cool area at all.

(boring, nothing around there)...

Call Cal Mar directly (there should be an 800 number)...

Can I also highly recommend The Best Western Sunset Plaza?

Here's the website...

http://www.sunsetplazahotel.com/

They also have suites and two bedroom suites if you want to book those for groups.

Totally safe area, beautiful, it really is more Beverly Hills-like.

Clubs, restaurants, right near the Hollywood tours for day...

Tons of things in walking distance...

So much more fun and exciting for 30 somethings...

From the website (and accurate)

Shopping The Sunset Strip embraces one of the finest collections of shops and boutiques in the entire Los Angeles area. Just footsteps outside your hotel room, you'll find a wide variety of clothing stops, ranging from haute couture to downtown chic. Shopping hot spots include: the Sunset Shopping Plaza, featuring its own assortment of designer boutiques and sidewalk cafes, also ideal for people watching; the Virgin Mega Store, which holds one of the largest music collections in the entire world; and Kenneth Cole Shoes, which besides boots and sandals also boasts a unique museum of celebrity footprints.

Dining and Night Life As the sun goes down, the Strip lights up in a spectacle of neon and glitter. Streets bustle with cars and skies beam with vanity boards. As Hollywood's central address, the Strip hosts a premier selection of restaurants, rock houses, and dance clubs. Hot spots include:

• Legendary rock clubs such as, The Whisky A-Go-Go and The Roxy
  • Trendy bars and dance clubs, including the Sky Bar and Key Club
  • Celebrity owned night spots such as Johnny Depp's The Viper Room
  • The famed Rainbow Bar and Grill
  • The Laugh Factory comedy club
  • The popular House of Blues.
  • The Comedy Store (right across the street)

House of Blues The Sunset Plaza's most prominent and most conveniently located attraction is the rocking House of Blues. Just next door, the club offers excellent dining, a sizeable bar, live entertainment, and special events. Previous performers and celebrity guests include, the rock group Aerosmith and actor Dan Akkroyd of The Blues Brothers.

Safe, clean, and fun all at the same time in this area.

I'd recommend this tour for the day...

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/daily.php

And take the Hollywood Behind The Scenes Tour.

This area is just so much more what you seem to be wanting...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'll be checking back later.

Hello,

Jobager, please check out the UCLA Guesthouse. I have lived in the Los Angeles area for 36 years and your group will have a wonderful time at this place. By staying here, you will be in the middle of one of America's finest universities both for its academics and its architecture. The prices are very reasonable especially for the Westwood area, and include breakfast. The building itself is an architectural gem.

Other suggestions...choose a motel or hotel that has at least a AAA three star rating.

If not, find a place in Santa Monica becaue you can walk many places. I cannot comment on the Travel Lodge but if it has a three star or higher rating it should be okay.

Other places for you to stay are Glendale, Universal City, and the beach cities of Redondo beach or Manhattan Beach. And if you have rental cars, there are some very nice and reasonably priced hotels in the LAX area.

Fred

I know I am early but have question as I will book well in advance. Coming to LA for one day prior to cruise next year. If we stay somewhere near LAX, is it possible to do a tour of Hollywood? Is there enough time and is it even offered from LAX area? If not, what should we do to see what we can in a day? Should we go to a beach to see the west coast side? Can rent car if no tour, but would rather tour. Any hotel you might suggest? Moderate priced or maybe a Hilton property to use points...

Thanks.

Hello...

California native here...suggest that you listen to Curt Jerome Wild's suggestions re: hotels and activities. He's spot on!

Personally, I would choose the Santa Monica area and deal directly with one of the hotels he suggested. I happen to have a 30 year old niece who lives in Santa Monica and the location, atmosphere and available day and night activities are excellent. You won't be bored.

RE: Guesthouse at UCLA...I can't see any possible reason to stay there unless you're visiting a student. The Westwood Village used to be great, but over the years it's deteriorated with many of the good restaurants and stores closing. It needs a huge revitalization. Santa Monica and Hollywood seem much more "alive" to me.

My two cents!

Enjoy your stay.

murphysmum;)

I would only recommend staying at a LAX hotel if you've got an early flight the next morning or if you're getting in really late at night and plan to hanker in for the night and catch a taxi or private shuttle (the airport hotels don't have a free shuttle to the ports) to the port the next morning for your cruise. There's nothing around the airport to do (maybe a few restaurants at some of the hotels) and some of the "LAX" hotels aren't near the airport, but are cheap, rundown hotels trying to catch the business of travelers unfamiliar with the area.

There are many undesirable areas in Los Angeles county...and some okay areas, but would be too far away from attractions and the ports.

One thing to try if a hotel on the "recommended list" doesn't seem to be available, is to call directly. It could be too far in advance to book a room for whatever booking engine you're using. The hotel clerk could advise you on this for your date.

Cruisin chick...

I respectfully disagree with the LAX area. While there are some undesirable hotels on the fringe of the airport, my point is that IF they have rental cars the LAX hotels are a very good value for the money. For example the Embassy Suites in El Segundo is a very nice hotel, that is a mile or so to the beach, near restaurants that are on Sepulveda, and so on.

Santa Monica is still the best choice overall.

Fred

OK guys, you´ve won :)

Just canceled the Lodge. The UCLA guesthouse requests for a relation to the UCLA. So I just booked the Calmar Hotel (Hotel California looks much better but it´s much more expensive, too).

I´ll post a review after coming back from my trip.

Thanks for all your suggestions!!! No I´m feeling much less "strange" to this area and I think we´ll enjoy our visit of LA.

One more suggestion for a terrific Santa Monica hotel....The Georgian, which is a beautifully restored art deco property, located on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and just a very short walk to the Santa Monica Pier and the Third Street Promenade. Santa Monica is an absolutely lovely area, and I prefer it over L.A. hands down.

Have a great trip!

Karen

Does anyone know what Reseda is like? there is a HoJo hotel there which looks like it used to be awful, but has just been renovated with flat screen TVs etc and is now getting rave reviews. It is soooo..... cheap though, and I was wondering of the are is unsafe. Boring is OK for us, but it needs to be safe. We (Myself husband and 2 boys) are planning a visit to Universal and will have a hire car so 12 miles away is close enough. If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.

We have already booked most of our trip. Stating at Hoeweood Studios in Garden Grove to do Disney (thanks to CC recommendation), then up to Las vegas and staying in the Desert Rose (not too sure about this one, but gets great reviews and seems family orientated). Then back to LA for Universal (3 nights), then Doubletree San Pedro for night before the Mariner of the Seas Cruise.

Can't wait!

Does anyone know what Reseda is like? there is a HoJo hotel there which looks like it used to be awful, but has just been renovated with flat screen TVs etc and is now getting rave reviews. It is soooo..... cheap though, and I was wondering of the are is unsafe. Boring is OK for us, but it needs to be safe. We (Myself husband and 2 boys) are planning a visit to Universal and will have a hire car so 12 miles away is close enough. If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.

We have already booked most of our trip. Stating at Hoeweood Studios in Garden Grove to do Disney (thanks to CC recommendation), then up to Las vegas and staying in the Desert Rose (not too sure about this one, but gets great reviews and seems family orientated). Then back to LA for Universal (3 nights), then Doubletree San Pedro for night before the Mariner of the Seas Cruise.

Can't wait!

NO...NO...NO...NO...NO!!!

Do NOT stay in Reseda...

You're talking Reseda Boulevard at Valerio...between Sherman Way and Saticoy...Like staying in a Third World country...

My company leased a building a few blocks from here...and the first day it was open for business, there was a police chase through the lobby! The folks who made the location decision didn't know that the local drug dealers hang out in the alley behind the building at night...

Again, my constant caveat on LA--DO NOT LOOK FOR A "BARGAIN"...If it's cheap, there's a reason...and it usually means bad neighborhood...

If you want to stay in the San Fernando Valley, stick to locations SOUTH of the 101...Stay in Universal City at the Hilton or Sheraton...or check out Curt's recommendation of the Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City...There's a well located Marriott Courtyard in Encino...

But, Reseda??? Heavens, no!!!

"It's a long day, livin' in Reseda

there's a freeway, runnin' through the yard" --Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'"

earn...

Figured I couldn't just leave you hanging...

I'm guessing you are looking for a low price and are willing to drive...

I took a look around for hotels in NICE areas--which would be a drive to Universal, but far nicer to stay in...

From other posts, it looks like you are talking about April 15, 16, 17, correct?

You're not going to find much that's as cheap as the HoJo in Reseda (for good reason)...but, here are some you might want to consider:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d82682-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Woodland_Hills_Warner_Center-Los_Angeles_California.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32136-d225975-Reviews-Good_Nite_Inn_Calabasas-Calabasas_California.html

This last one is in MY town...It's a little farther out than you were looking (about 20 miles to Universal, but a straight shot down the 101...and the area is very nice...For a much nicer and better located hotel in my town, this one can't be beat:

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=UGY0MTHHMAXFICSGBIWMVCQ?ctyhocn=BURCAGI

This one I can vouch for as it's a mile and a half from my house...right next to upscale shopping center with restauranrts, fast food, 6 screen movie theater...ample free parking...From my search, you can get your dates for as low as $105 per night...and it's as safe and upscale as neighborhoods get...Only reason the price is so low is that it is out here in the suburbs...If you have a car and you're willing to drive, it's definitely worth the added price over the HoJos in Reseda...And it's about three large steps up from the Good Night Inn...

Of course, there are lots of other choices between here and there...but try to stick to places SOUTH of the 101...

Thank you so so much for the advice, and also for going to so much trouble finding some alternatives. My husband stays in Garden Inns on business and this looks like a great option. Is it about 30 mins from Universal? We will probably only visit Universal for one day so no real point in being too close.

Thanks again.

Thank you so so much for the advice, and also for going to so much trouble finding some alternatives. My husband stays in Garden Inns on business and this looks like a great option. Is it about 30 mins from Universal? We will probably only visit Universal for one day so no real point in being too close.

Thanks again.

About 30 minutes depending on traffic...I actually drive past Universal on my way to Pasadena to work each morning...about another 10-15 miles past...but I leave very early...like 6:30 in the morning...but, I'm easily past Univeral in less than 30 minutes...If one leaves in the heart of "rush hour", it may take more like 45...

But I thought of this alternative because, as I said, I live very near...The neighborhood is one of the best and safest in Los Angeles...It is a very upscale suburb...You wouldn't even have to worry if your boys left the hotel and walked over to the shopping center next door:

http://www.shopcommons.com/

...don't even have to cross a street...

There are several restaurants there...everything from upscale dinner houses to fast food (including Johnny Rocket's, La Salsa, Pick-up Stix), a great 2-story Barnes and Noble Book Store, a Supermarket and a Drug Store, Starbuck's Coffee, etc.)...

It's a scenic drive through Topanga Canyon or Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon to the beaches in Malibu and Santa Monica...

It's not really directly near a lot of tourist sites, but not too far away with a rental car and a little patience (down the 101 and South on the 405 to Beverly Hills, Westwood et al)...

We're not really much of a typical tourist destination, but it's close enough and a whole lot nicer and safer than a lot of areas closer in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabasas,_California

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valley/la-et-neighborhoods2-2008sep02,0,3672516.story

Thanks again, 'The Commons' looks just great, and I think we would all love a bit of retail therapy there! Fantastic to be so close to some nice food too. Think you have picked me a winner. Much appreciated. I thin you mentioned the Sportmen be3fore that was recommeded before. I did loom it up, but they only had king rooms left. I prefer thsi though, and Garden Inns are all of a good standard. I had actually looked at the Homewood studios along the road, but they were much more expensive, and further from Universal.

Wow, I've lived here my whole life in Redondo Beach, and now you all got even me confused with all of this.

Best thing to do is either stay in Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach. Its a very safe area, only 10 minutes from LAX, plenty of restaurants and bars around, and nice pier's. And there are lots of taxi's around.

Then, just take a 20 min shuttle to the port of L.A.

Can't wait!

Okay, this is my territory. Reseda is in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, which is known as the "bedroom suburban" part of Los Angeles. Also the SFV is home of the Val (which I proudly grew up as, and eventually returned to live here...fer shur).

You will be far from everything...In order to get to the ports, you would have to get on the 405 freeway south (which will be heavy, heavy traffic, even on many weekend days), then the Harbor freeway. Renting a car will be filling up your tank, and just to let you know, California has probably among the highest gas prices in the country (not counting Hawaii).

Even getting to Universal Studios will mean travelling along the 101 freeway going to the east (which is called the south 101:rolleyes: ).

As for the area, it's on Reseda Blvd. which is a busy street. Lots of traffic -- I usually try to use a different street as much as possible. This area has a lot of businesses and stores that are oriented toward the residents.

I suggest you check out the various hotel threads in this area of Cruise Critic. People like Curt, Steve and others have posted some recommendations for areas such as Santa Monica, San Pedro, Long Beach, Hollywood. If you want to be close to Universal Studios (which is in the San Fernando Valley) there are closer hotels than the HoJo in Reseda. And if you're not familar with the Los Angeles freeway system, better off not trying to figure out why there are two Ventura freeways (the 101 and the 134), two Hollywood freeways (the 101 and the 170), and, well you get the idea.

Archived