2 nights LA before Cruise - best area to stay?

jobager

NO...NO...NO...NO...NO!!!

Do NOT stay in Reseda...

You're talking Reseda Boulevard at Valerio...between Sherman Way and Saticoy...Like staying in a Third World country...

My company leased a building a few blocks from here...and the first day it was open for business, there was a police chase through the lobby! The folks who made the location decision didn't know that the local drug dealers hang out in the alley behind the building at night...

Again, my constant caveat on LA--DO NOT LOOK FOR A "BARGAIN"...If it's cheap, there's a reason...and it usually means bad neighborhood...

If you want to stay in the San Fernando Valley, stick to locations SOUTH of the 101...Stay in Universal City at the Hilton or Sheraton...or check out Curt's recommendation of the Sportsman's Lodge in Studio City...There's a well located Marriott Courtyard in Encino...

But, Reseda??? Heavens, no!!!

"It's a long day, livin' in Reseda

there's a freeway, runnin' through the yard" --Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'"

I saw "Reseda" and immediately clicked on reply to write my answer. Didn't even check to see if anyone else replied to that. But Steve is right about the type of area. I don't know who stays at that hotel, but I would guess not regular tourists. Just remember if it's low in cost in the LA area, there's a reason. (and definitely avoid any motel that's located on Sepulveda Blvd in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, North Hills...generally these rooms are booked on an hourly basis if you get my drift).

Hello...

Okay, some great people have talked you out of staying in Reseda.

Now, since you said that you're starting your trip in Garden Grove (which is in Orange County) I feel the need to rescue you from staying there in order to do Disneyland.

As people have said about the Valley and LA, there are a lot of bedroom communities in Orange County as well which are not really geared for tourists....and not particularly appealing for any reason. Since you're from Scotland and have so much beautiful open land, you may assume that Southern California has a lot of open scenic areas. There ARE some beautiful areas, but you have to know where to look and it's hard to imagine how huge this entire metropolis is and how densely populated.

Since you want to go to Disneyland, you might want to check (depending on your budget) on TripAdvisor.com for hotels in Anaheim near Disneyland. I'm sure that you can find a place with a similar price to the one in Garden Grove and you will not have to negotiate the traffic, parking and chaos of getting into Disneyland via car. The hotels will shuttle you over or you can walk from most of them.

Just my two cents!

murphysmum;)

Thanks again everyone. Hope I am not taking up too much forum time with this! I appreciate all of your comments and am just so pleased that people have taken the time to help us out.

I did have a look for hotels nearer Disney, but actually liked the idea of getting away from it all a little. I expect the area to be more targetted for business, but that is fine. Last time we visited Disney and Universal was 11 years ago, and we stayed in a Doubletree in Santa Anna, so we are getting closer! My husband works for Raytheon (was Hughes) and is very used to driving in both LA and Dallas. If I had to drive we would be staying in the parks! Where we live it is very very rare to be in any type of heavy traffic, and you are correct we have a field at the back of our house, so open countryside is Scotland. It is nice, but it is also nice to do experience a different environment. I am just so glad that people are giuding us towards safe and enjoyable different.

Thanks again.

Thanks again everyone. Hope I am not taking up too much forum time with this! I appreciate all of your comments and am just so pleased that people have taken the time to help us out.

I did have a look for hotels nearer Disney, but actually liked the idea of getting away from it all a little. I expect the area to be more targetted for business, but that is fine. Last time we visited Disney and Universal was 11 years ago, and we stayed in a Doubletree in Santa Anna, so we are getting closer! My husband works for Raytheon (was Hughes) and is very used to driving in both LA and Dallas. If I had to drive we would be staying in the parks! Where we live it is very very rare to be in any type of heavy traffic, and you are correct we have a field at the back of our house, so open countryside is Scotland. It is nice, but it is also nice to do experience a different environment. I am just so glad that people are giuding us towards safe and enjoyable different.

Thanks again.

No problem. Those of us who are native Angelenos are happy to help. We want people to have a great time here as tourism is one of the major industries.

Hello again...

I'm glad that you're familiar with the area so that your expectations are not dashed. It sounds like you have your plans well in hand and I wish you a lovely trip.

Oh, to have a field in the back of my house....I'm more than a bit envious. I've only been to Scotland once, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful. We spent two weeks and never really got above the southern area. We're looking forward to a return to see a bit of the highlands area.

Again, enjoy your time here!

murphysmum;)

I have mixed reactions to the Garden Grove comment, having been born and raised there. Some areas of GG are very close to Disneyland and offer shuttle service or you can drive. They are just as convenient and as nice as many Anaheim hotels, but you aren't paying for the address or the "resort fee".

OTOH, there are areas of GG that are run-down and have nothing of interest. Any larger GG hotel located on Harbor, West, or Chapman is probably OK and convenient. Check www.tripadvisor.com if a hotel or neighborhood is not the best, you will see comments. (The same goes for Orange, Santa Ana, and even Anaheim!)

Hope that helps!

Thanks. The hotel is on Harbour Blv and say it is about a mile from Disney. On trip advisor it is rated very highly and people have walked to the park , but you can get ART from the hotel for $3 for adults and $1 for kids for a whole day pass. Being in the park or next probably has advantages, but being a little bit remote also has some I think.

I looked up the Homewood Suites in GG on google maps. It's in a nice area that has been redeveloped by the city to attract Disney visitors. There are a lot of restaurants in the area and a mega-Target store across the street.

FYI, there is a House of Blues in "Downtown Disney" just outside the entry gates to the park, in case you don't have time to visit the one in LA. (I noticed it mentioned earlier in this thread).

I know I am early but have question as I will book well in advance. Coming to LA for one day prior to cruise next year. If we stay somewhere near LAX, is it possible to do a tour of Hollywood? Is there enough time and is it even offered from LAX area? If not, what should we do to see what we can in a day? Should we go to a beach to see the west coast side? Can rent car if no tour, but would rather tour. Any hotel you might suggest? Moderate priced or maybe a Hilton property to use points...

Thanks.

Well, I guess I should have just started a new thread, but I thought I might be able to get an answer on this one. Can anyone help me?

Well, I guess I should have just started a new thread, but I thought I might be able to get an answer on this one. Can anyone help me?

What time are you getting into LA? If it's quite early (as in the am), then you would have plenty of time to collect your baggage, drop that off at a hotel closer to the port (like San Pedro or Long Beach), rather than staying near the airport, which isn't really near anything, and take an afternoon tour (peruse the various threads here and you should get some good recs on hotels and tours).

If you get into LA in the late afternoon, you'll want to grab a taxi and get away from the airport to find a decent restaurant. I would still reconsider where you're staying (it's a better choice if you're flying out on an early flight the next morning or getting in so late, that you're just going to the hotel and staying there for the night).

You may want to note that the beaches here aren't like those around Florida or the Caribbean. The beachgoing weather doesn't start til July because of June gloom and cold water temps, unless you're very hardy (I didn't check as to when you're coming if you did list it).

I know I am early but have question as I will book well in advance. Coming to LA for one day prior to cruise next year. If we stay somewhere near LAX, is it possible to do a tour of Hollywood? Is there enough time and is it even offered from LAX area? If not, what should we do to see what we can in a day? Should we go to a beach to see the west coast side? Can rent car if no tour, but would rather tour. Any hotel you might suggest? Moderate priced or maybe a Hilton property to use points...

What I am gathering from the phrasing is that you are arriving at LAX the day prior to your embarkation...planning on staying at LAX and hoping to get some sort of organized packaged Hollywood tour???

The answer would be, basically, maybe...Depends on what time your flight gets it...

There are several tour companies that pick up from LAX area hotels...

Take, for example, Gray Line...

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/losangeles.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=2061&sid=522

This tour will pick you up at an LAX area hotel...but it starts at 9:30 am...So I'm guessing they are looking to do their pickups around 8:30 am...So...if your flight gets in by, say, 7 am, you'll be able to gather your luggage, get to the hotel, check in and meet the tour folks...

The shorter 4 hour 1B tour starts at 12:30, so figure an 11:30 pick-up...So, if your flight arives by 10:00 am or so, you can do that...

If you stay at LAX, stick to one of the major chains hotels located on Century Blvd, right adjacent to LAX--do not venture too far east and do not look for a bargain...There is a Hilton in this group...Not the best area to stay in...but, if it serves your needs...

Good luck...

Thank you so much for answering my question. We will cruise out of Honolulu, just doing a stop in LA for adventure, and a break in time. :) I just would like to see Hollywood as a tourist, unless someone discovers me between now and then... Believe me, I am kidding! Maybe some homes or sets or Venice Beach or some place I have heard of over here on the east coast and just have a decent place to sleep. Don't have flights booked yet as we are coming late summer 2009. Have plenty of time to plan, but when I saw this thread was just wondering what you locals could direct me to as I like to book and get it done asap. Will try to plan flight to arrive early afternoon.

Thanks again for answering.

Archived