$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Patti, you are one very brave woman! :D Sounds like an awesome cruise! We loved South America.

jc[/quote]
Hi jc........we did Valparaiso to Sao Paulo in March, so we figured we'd go the other direction this time. South America is awesome.

OK.......back to talking about the poor cow!:p

[quote name='curley23']I suppose it is Fain's fault that the price of oil jumped as high as it has, and that has had nothing to do with any rising costs for just about any company on the planet, I'd say you should make CEO real soon.
Your loyalties lie as a customer, of who??[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]I wonder what percentage of RCL's '08 and '09 fuel has been hedged? Or how well the potential volatility of the oil market was factored into RCL's new-build schedule. Or how effectively Fain & Friends reacted to the initial signs of recession?[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]Either way, he's already put in fare increases and a fuel surcharge. Ditching the regular steak in favor of the $15 rip-off model is just double-dipping (or triple-dipping). More likely, that extra revenue is earmarked for debt payments for the megaship construction. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I](And I surely hope RCL isn't trying to pay Scandanavian bills with U.S. money; we'll all be looking at $150 steaks if Fain expects us to make up that currency gap)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Loyalty? Well, RCL invested time and money to bring me and many, many others into C&A. For years that paid off for the cruise line. But if Fain is allowed to devalue the product too severely, they'll be holding those onboard C&A parties in an elevator. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]EscapeFromConnecticut[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16186507#post16186507"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]There have been multiple other methods posted in the thread. Did you not bother to read, or did you simply ignore them? Either way: Why is that?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][/I]

[quote name='amybear912']Perhaps YOU missed the end part of that post of mine you quoted where I stated that there were plenty of options available to those who don't like the turn of the business... I didn't feel the need to insult anyone's intelligence by listing each individual method... However, if you feel you have the time and arrogance to do so, have at it![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]No. Let's look at what you actually said:[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]Fight this??? How do you propose to do that??? The only way I can think of would be to stop sailing with them... or don't order the extra-charge steak... or pay extra upfront to sail on a line that doesn't charge extra for a steak every night of the sailing...
The solutions to this problem are plentiful folks...[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]Sure sounds like you take a defeatist attitude. But the rest of us don't.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]How do we propose to fight it? Exactly with the strategies that you overlooked in previous posts:[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- Some might jump ship to another cruise line. (As of now, I've seen no proof that any of CCL's brands are implementing this $15 steak scam)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- Others might stay with RCL, but boycott ALL of the specialty dining options.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- Others might try making an entertaining game out of nickel-and-diming RCL: No more ships' photos, no more bingo, no art or tanzanite or RCL souvenir purchases, no ship-bought excursions ... STARVE Fain's onboard revenue flow. (And those of us who've played by the rules about not carrying alcohol or soda onboard would reconsider; if RCL is shameless enough to try muscling a pay-per-entree system into the dining room, then we'll retaliate with a never-pay-at-the-bars system).[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- Many of us will spread the word: To relatives, friends, coworkers, neighbors and others. I imagine that A LOT of CC members are the "go to" people when their extended families or friends want recommendations about cruising. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- We'll also spread the word online. (This thread alone has hit 18,000 page views. ;) ) [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]- Surely other people will have suggestions, too.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] What we WON'T do is meekly and silently let a band of incompetent and/or greedy executives pick our pockets under the dishonest pretext of "offering choices." Nor will we bow to Kool Aiders who blindly defend that thievery.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] As for the Don Quixote angle ... every so often, the paying customers actually DO persuade the suits to back off on the money-grubbing:[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511737/"][B]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511737/[/B][/URL]

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] Certainly the shareholders have a different view on all of this. At least I can understand your position; it comes from rationally representing your self-interest, just as I and many on this board are defending ours. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]On the matter of cost reduction (and price breaks for RCL stockholders), the outcomes are very different for us than for you than for us.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Seeing RCL maintain max value for customers - and some semblance of "all inclusive vacation" for the ordinary cruise passenger - aren't necessarily beneficial to you. After all, you've got a separate financial interest in the stock price, and an exclusive cost break as a shareholder. So I can't fault your take on this issue ... so long as you recognize that your interests aren't at all parallel to those of typical RCL customers.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]No. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]The Kool Aid Krowd isn't defined by its members' wealth or disposable income; membership is contingent on an entirely kneejerk, Pavlovian response to any criticism of the cruise line.[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]They reply with instant defense, denial, obfuscation, sleight-of-hand, dismissiveness, distortions, attacks, straw man arguments and "circle the wagons" ad hominem attacks - usually by a bunch of cheerleaders piling on as fast as they can, hoping to crush a complaint before it goes anywhere. Look at long lysolqun's entirely honest and accurate account was second-guessed and derided by people with no firsthand information --- and now that it's been established as fact, most of the cheerleaders still won't admit they did wrong.[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]To them, RCL is simply [COLOR=purple]never [/COLOR]wrong, and the complaining (or even questioning) customer is [COLOR=purple]never [/COLOR]right. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]It's a dogmatic attitude that disregards reality, ignores truth and sneers at logic, all while hyping the tired platitude of "Any cruise is a great cruise. We should be grateful - people are starving or drowning, so shut up and doesn't question Royal Caribbean." [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B](And in truth, this is the same pattern for a few of the Holland America, Princess, X and Carnival folks, to lesser or greater degrees).[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]Incidentally, you raised the question of class or wealth: I'll argue that [COLOR=red]if [/COLOR]there's any difference at all, the Kool Aid Krowd probably has more "upper class" folks. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]They don't seem to care about $4 or 5 orange juices, $15 steaks, $4.50 fruit drinks ... or the looming possibility of eventually having to spend $20 or $25 on every onboard meal if this experiment succeeds. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]Those of us who don't want to fork over ANOTHER $15 at dinnertime (after already writing hefty checks for the cruise fare) are hardly the big-money elitists; we're the folks looking for real value in a vacation. Which is why we've loved RCL's product, but are growing more skeptical by the month.[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]Certainly, we ALL are "thankful for the opportunity to cruise" - the problem is that RCL's nickel-and-diming transformation of this wonderful vacation system is going to ruin it for many of us. Unless it's stopped now.[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]And as we all know, once a benefit or amenity is gone, we won't be seeing it again. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]By the way, RCL stockholders might consider more seriously posts 391 and 396 ... and many, many like them elsewhere on this thread (and you'll find a couple over on other cruise lines' boards, too, where people are talking about RCL's cheapskate Three-Card Monte scheme with the $15 steak).[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B][COLOR=darkorange]These are established RCL customers - people whose goodwill and patronage RCL staff members have worked years to cultivate - who are now thinking about jumping ship.[/COLOR]:eek: [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]Sure, if you're 110% positive that the new Megalopolis-of-the-Seas series will instantly fill up with big-bucks free-spenders and "Let's donate a few hundred extra $$ to RCL, why not?" Kool Aiders, then you've got nothing to worry about. [/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][I][B]But if there's even [COLOR=red]a chance[/COLOR] that your longtime customers will play any role in RCL's financial situation in the future, then maybe it's time to rethink the cost-benefit on all this sneaky new chiseling stuff. ;)[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Don, I do not disagree with you of the some of what you say and I am no RCL cheerleader. But you have turned me off by hammering and hammering your point across to a point that it is excessive and your message is getting lost with all this Fain BS and RCL Plots and Scams I cannot speak for others but only myself here.

I have read enough of your posts on here to know you are intelligent, that you like RCL and do not like the direction you think they are going in Your ranting takes away from what I believe are some valid points and if you are interested in getting the message across to others or even RCL. You should tone down your posts All the talk about plots and scams comes across as some government plot make it seem like you way out there. We are talking about a cruise line here. I am going on the Freedom of the seas in November. I have always enjoyed my cruises on RCL when cruising stops being a value to me and that means the total experience not just dining. I will stop cruising and find other vacation options.

By the way I think you would be a great to have a discussion with over a beer...of course it would not be on the ship..:-)

[quote name='EscapeFromConnecticut'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]As for the Don Quixote angle ... every so often, the paying customers actually DO persuade the suits to back off on the money-grubbing:[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511737/"][B][URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511737/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511737/[/B][/URL][/URL][/quote]

Thanks, Don. I was just going to post this!! I may or may not work for the airline in question ;) and they did send out a mass email informing everyone of their change of plans. It may not happen often, but love it when it does. There were MANY frequent, loyal fliers getting active on this, both publicly and privately.

[quote name='icruiz2']Thanks, Don. I was just going to post this!! I may or may not work for the airline in question ;) and they did send out a mass email informing everyone of their change of plans. It may not happen often, but love it when it does. There were MANY frequent, loyal fliers getting active on this, both publicly and privately.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]icruiz2 - Kudos to you! [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] It's always good news when the paying customers DO influence the short-sighted suits.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] (Most of my flights are Delta, but I've often flown "the airline in question." It has some terrific staff going through tight times - that they don't deserve! Hang in.) [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Cheers.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='dfishner']All the talk about plots and scams comes across as some government plot make it seem like you way out there. We are talking about a cruise line here.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Agreed: No government plot. RCL is merely a cruise line. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] But sadly, businesses occasionally have been guilty of shady deals and flimflams throughout history (that's why "caveat emptor" is ancient). [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] At this time in our history, RCL is a cruise line run by an executive corps that is trying to pull ... a weasel deal (better than 'scam'?) :)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]I have always enjoyed my cruises on RCL when cruising stops being a value to me and that means the total experience not just dining. I will stop cruising and find other vacation options.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Same here. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] Before being forced to look elsewhere, though, my plan is to do what I can to keep cruising a value. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I] (hey, tonight this thread hit 19,000 page views; more than the Serenade or Oasis threads!! :cool: The more people who learn about the experiment to devalue cruising, the more customers who might tell RCL "Enough. Stop it." )[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote]By the way I think you would be a great to have a discussion with over a beer...of course it would not be on the ship..:-)[/quote]

[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal] I suspect I'd enjoy conversations over a few late-seating dinners with you, too. (But we're not gonna order that *!%# $14.95 .... well, you know ;) )[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

I agree that it is difficult to justify removing a free option and replacing it with one that has a cost, especially as this is a first and a lot of people are concerned that if this goes ahead, what will it make Royal think they can get away with next; pushing the boundaries!

If Royal left the normal steak on the alternative menu, as well as offering the $15 steak, surely this may have led to more waste, as they would need more chops steak to cover possible MDR orders and still having to order the alternative steak in to cover the MDR too. Would someone with a better understanding of this kind of issue like to venture an explanation of how this might work without food being wasted.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but I agree with Dale (#432) that a lot of Don's very reasoned arguments have been lost in the OTT comments with regard Royal and their board. Surely if everyone who has posted in agreement that this move is unacceptable simply emailed Adam Goldstein it would be a better way of getting the obvious disatisfaction across and also give Royal the direct opportunity to address any concerns?

I wonder if anyone complaining on here about the steak also thinks that giving us the option of My Time Dining was just a scam to get the grats pre paid!

I don't pay that much attention to steak on the menu, if I want steak, I go to a steak restaurant and order it - not in the MDR, my preference. But I did notice the menu Patrick kindly posted was from the first night I think because it had prime rib. I don't recall if they traditionally served steak on prime rib night or not.

Just curious.

Oh and Connecticut person - I have no idea what you're trying to say - other than vociferously and frequently - the green and the font you've chosen to use - I can only bear to read a few words at a time. :confused:

Don, I do not disagree with you of the some of what you say and I am no RCL cheerleader. But you have turned me off by hammering and hammering your point across to a point that it is excessive and your message is getting lost with all this Fain BS and RCL Plots and Scams I cannot speak for others but only myself here.

I have read enough of your posts on here to know you are intelligent, that you like RCL and do not like the direction you think they are going in Your ranting takes away from what I believe are some valid points and if you are interested in getting the message across to others or even RCL. You should tone down your posts All the talk about plots and scams comes across as some government plot make it seem like you way out there. We are talking about a cruise line here. I am going on the Freedom of the seas in November. I have always enjoyed my cruises on RCL when cruising stops being a value to me and that means the total experience not just dining. I will stop cruising and find other vacation options.

By the way I think you would be a great to have a discussion with over a beer...of course it would not be on the ship..:-)

Pretty well said.

for Don, I don't know if I would call you a loyal RCI customer. You haven't been on a RCI ship in what, over 2.5 yrs, and looks like nothing pending. I doubt RCI is worried about you as a customer, when you haven't cruised with them in quite a while.

You really have no idea as to what goes on, or what RCI's motives are, other than to speculate and rant and rave about how money grubbing, and dishonest, they are. It's quite obvious you haven't either attended a shareholder meeting, or participated in any teleconferences. Do you own any stock?? You just think they are supposed to have crystal balls to predict things out of their control. Things change, the economy, the industry, and people who surround it. Companies have gone thru changing environments for years, that's how they stay in business, and even on top. If you don't like it, you are free to go elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to buy a ticket.

You certainly have the right to vioce your opinion, as do the rest of us as well, however, a simple "Because I don't like their policies, I'm not going on another RCI ship again", would suffice.

Ranting and raving about boycotting other services etc. etc, is just foolish anyway. They are options, no one makes you pay there either. Oh, I'm so unhappy I'll give them my cruise money, but make sure I do nothing else. That ought to show em. Then you'll be chirping about how they are raising the cruise fares out of site, cause no one spends on board.That would just make things better wouldn't it.

Agreed: No government plot. RCL is merely a cruise line.

But sadly, businesses occasionally have been guilty of shady deals and flimflams throughout history (that's why "caveat emptor" is ancient).

At this time in our history, RCL is a cruise line run by an executive corps that is trying to pull ... a weasel deal (better than 'scam'?) :)

Same here.

Before being forced to look elsewhere, though, my plan is to do what I can to keep cruising a value.

(hey, tonight this thread hit 19,000 page views; more than the Serenade or Oasis threads!! :cool: The more people who learn about the experiment to devalue cruising, the more customers who might tell RCL "Enough. Stop it." )

I suspect I'd enjoy conversations over a few late-seating dinners with you, too. (But we're not gonna order that *!%# $14.95 .... well, you know ;) )

No Don, there is no way I would order the $15 steak in the MDR. I much rather go to Chops for that. Paying a surcharge for food in the MDR even if it is just one item goes against what cruising is about. I am not sure why they are testing this except to try and raise some revenue but in this case my feelings are that it will fail. Many cruisers will be turned off by this. This site has proven it all ready.

I hope we all understand that with fuel prices that have gone up has greatly affecting cruise line profits. They are cutting ports trying to save money and they still need to deliver profits to their shareholders while still keeping pricing down in this competive market place. Food has gone up over 8% plus the cruiseline pay a fuel surcharge on deliveries on top of that. It is difficult to keep the same quality when your menu is priced at x and it is now costing you Y. It is not only RCL that is feeling the pinch other cruise lines are feeling it as well. Flying is down because of what the airlines are doing charging for bags, elimanted snacks and free soft drinks charging more for ailse and window seats and cutting cities off their routes. It is the sign of the times we live in.

I am sure cruise lines are looking at every venue they have to increase their revenue stream to offset some of the fuel charges. I would hate to see the cruise lines take the same avenue as the airlines and I hope it never comes to that. I will take some of the nickel and diming since as a consumer I still have the option not to buy it. If they do decide to charge for food in the MDR (which I do not believe they will do) that will end cruising for a great amount of people and will cripple the industry.

I do expect the menus in the MDR to continue to adjust to less expensive items and spread the more expensive items our further to make their budgets work. Either that or raise cruise prices and with the fuel charges added on it is all ready more expensive to cruise. I really believe that the cruise lines are in a difficult place and whatever they decide will affect us.

I don't pay that much attention to steak on the menu, if I want steak, I go to a steak restaurant and order it - not in the MDR, my preference. But I did notice the menu Patrick kindly posted was from the first night I think because it had prime rib. I don't recall if they traditionally served steak on prime rib night or not.

Just curious.

Oh and Connecticut person - I have no idea what you're trying to say - other than vociferously and frequently - the green and the font you've chosen to use - I can only bear to read a few words at a time. :confused:

Amen! The font the color, the misplaced logic, makes it impossible to take too seriously. However, I do love those who think because they have access to a computer can call other members kool aid drinkers, and accuse a cruiseline of a scam, rip-off and other misdeeds without having to "MAN UP" as he likes to say. I say the person who hides behind a computer to slander the forum members, and the cruiseline is one who needs to "MAN UP", but hey it is a free country and anybody with a computer can be a real man online. :eek: :rolleyes:

I am ambivalent about this potential change. I like the idea of being able to get a good steak every night, not thrilled about the trends in the main dining room, but still realize that RCI is offerring a very good value compared to other travel options.

jc

I am not sure why they are testing this except to try and raise some revenue but in this case my feelings are that it will fail. Many cruisers will be turned off by this. This site has proven it all ready.

Agreed. Let's hope your final sentence there holds up - if this thread has had ANY role in discouraging RCL's execs from expanding their experiment, then it's been an unqualified success!!

Consider the hundreds and hundreds of CC threads that ultimately affect only a few people: Themes like "How do I get an iron onboard," "Boy the CD on Sovereign last week was terrific," "Tips for booking spa appointments early," the endlessly popular "doing the docs dance," etc. etc. They're all fine, but their impact and meaning is minimal.

But this one covers something that:

* is absolutely new

* RCL is very pointedly not hyping through its website or public relations machine

* is potentially ominous for many tens of thousands of our fellow cruisers.

How excellent to take part in a collective "Hey, RCL, hands off the dining room" campaign, eh?!

I hope we all understand that with fuel prices that have gone up has greatly affecting cruise line profits.

Unquestionably. And as cruisers, we're going to have to eat the extra fuel costs - just as we do in the air, on the road and with our home a/c or heating bills. We'll also have to share general inflation costs (not just for food, but also for alcohol, maintenance supplies, petroleum-based materials for those flowriders, older ship refurbs, etc.

Nothing prevents RCL from publicly documenting the case for fare increases; every one of us would learn something if they showed us exactly how, let's say, $25 pppd in additional fares would cover fuel and general inflation.

But Fain and his army of well-heeled execs can't be exempt from the pain. And none of us should be interested in subsidizing their potentially ill-advised Genesis/Oasis adventure in the midst of a recession. That's one for the stockholders to chew on.

Execs haul away millions when the going is good, but hide out when the ink starts going red. The Caribbean Way bunch can offer massive givebacks in perks, options and salaries ... and lay off a couple layers of junior execs while they're at it. Then they can come talk about $15 steaks.

Pretty well said.

for Don, I don't know if I would call you a loyal RCI customer. You haven't been on a RCI ship in what, over 2.5 yrs, and looks like nothing pending.

If you speak on behalf of RCL in saying that C&A members are valued only if they've sailed in the past 2.5 years, would you put that on RCL letterhead and post the image here?

(But if you're just barking in the wind again, never mind.) :rolleyes:

[

I doubt RCI is worried about you as a customer, when you haven't cruised with them in quite a while.

Yet they keep sending me those C&A promos.

More importantly, over 40 people on this thread have expressed interest in looking elsewhere: They range from mild irritation to definitely jumping ship. Others say the same thing on a thead on a different board. :eek:

Do you overlook them to once again deliberately divert attention from the truth? Why ever would you keep selling snake oil? :confused:

Do you own any stock??

Not me. I wonder about the Kool Aiders though.

If you don't like it, you are free to go elsewhere.

Exactly the point about this thread, Curley. ;)

You are empowered and authorized to wander elsewhere on CC if that makes you happier ... or even back to the Admirals Club for another scotch.

I have always enjoyed my cruises on RCL when cruising stops being a value to me and that means the total experience not just dining. I will stop cruising and find other vacation options.

quote]

EXACTLY!!! Well-stated...

I do expect the menus in the MDR to continue to adjust to less expensive items and spread the more expensive items our further to make their budgets work. Either that or raise cruise prices and with the fuel charges added on it is all ready more expensive to cruise. I really believe that the cruise lines are in a difficult place and whatever they decide will affect us.

I agree completely... Let's not forget that RC is NOT a cuisine-focused cruiseline... Food is not their forte nor do they advertise themselves to be such a line...

Food cost is a tricky little widget folks, affected by all sorts of variables... IMO, RC's greatest food challenge comes in the form of attracting and keeping quality food folks who deliver a clear direction with regards to the food they are offering... But this isn't their focus and right now, it's not at the top of their list of objectives... it doesn't fit their marketing strategy...

This little experiment that they are running has many motivations, I'm sure... Increase revenue??? Duh! Drive sales/interest for their Chops/Portofino restaurants??? of course! But I have no doubt that if it fails, if the interest in paying for a steak doesn't fly with the consumer, you will quickly see this removed... I trust the wallets onboard to "vote" on this issue... That is where things like this are decided, not a CC forum, filled with all sorts of cruisers - some who cruise several times a year and those who cruise once every 5 years or whatever...

But as a signal that the MDR is headed down the Extra-Charge-for-Anything-Tasty Road .... nope, I just don't buy that extremist view of the situation....

But like many on here have said.... IF it does, THAT is when I'll be seeking a new vacation alternative because then the value to me is no longer there.... That sort of change in focus is not going to happen overnight and would require a LOT of work...

And if they lose me and many others as customers, I have no doubt that there will be a customer base that is happy with their new concept... AND that there will be a line that serves the needs of those who were left behind...

In this day and age, it no longer pays to be loyal to a brand... Because if you aren't, there is always a customer out there who will be satisfied with the product to replace you... When there no longer is a customer base to buy the product as-is, a new product will come along to satisfy you... or the company will re-evaluate and refresh their image to entice you back... that's the cyclical beauty of capitalism...

I have always enjoyed my cruises on RCL when cruising stops being a value to me and that means the total experience not just dining. I will stop cruising and find other vacation options.

quote]

EXACTLY!!! Well-stated...

I agree completely... Let's not forget that RC is NOT a cuisine-focused cruiseline... Food is not their forte nor do they advertise themselves to be such a line...

Food cost is a tricky little widget folks, affected by all sorts of variables... IMO, RC's greatest food challenge comes in the form of attracting and keeping quality food folks who deliver a clear direction with regards to the food they are offering... But this isn't their focus and right now, it's not at the top of their list of objectives... it doesn't fit their marketing strategy...

This little experiment that they are running has many motivations, I'm sure... Increase revenue??? Duh! Drive sales/interest for their Chops/Portofino restaurants??? of course! But I have no doubt that if it fails, if the interest in paying for a steak doesn't fly with the consumer, you will quickly see this removed... I trust the wallets onboard to "vote" on this issue... That is where things like this are decided, not a CC forum, filled with all sorts of cruisers - some who cruise several times a year and those who cruise once every 5 years or whatever...

But as a signal that the MDR is headed down the Extra-Charge-for-Anything-Tasty Road .... nope, I just don't buy that extremist view of the situation....

But like many on here have said.... IF it does, THAT is when I'll be seeking a new vacation alternative because then the value to me is no longer there.... That sort of change in focus is not going to happen overnight and would require a LOT of work...

And if they lose me and many others as customers, I have no doubt that there will be a customer base that is happy with their new concept... AND that there will be a line that serves the needs of those who were left behind...

In this day and age, it no longer pays to be loyal to a brand... Because if you aren't, there is always a customer out there who will be satisfied with the product to replace you... When there no longer is a customer base to buy the product as-is, a new product will come along to satisfy you... or the company will re-evaluate and refresh their image to entice you back... that's the cyclical beauty of capitalism...

Amy I agree with just about everything you say.........but I do think if it DOES work (time will tell) then the main dining room will be headed to Extra Charge for anything..........why shouldn't they IF it is successful. If it works, then there is no reason NOT to have a Portofino quality Pasta or Chicken at a cost in the MDR.

I also agree this thread or CC won't be the deciding factor.........how many opt to buy that $14.95 steak will.....to me it is a no loss situation for RC.......if enough people buy......they are off and running.....if they remove it, then it was something they tried and it's off to the next experiement.

I do pity the waitstaff, pursers desk, etc while the experiment is on going.......they will only hear from those that hate it........

Archived