Live From The Golden w/ The Hag

H20 Lover

The Hag is onboard the Golden (Inside Passage). If you have any questions, please post them here, but nothing like, will you ck out the view in Cabin 433 (LOL!!!).

She just posted this to me:

Questions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yvonne - Well, we made it. Sitting at the dock in Skankway now at 6:30 a.m. Ship turned the clocks back an hour two nights ago. Sorry, I didn't get to post until now.

Long, rain, COLD day in Juneau yesterday; we ended up taking a nap & missing dinner. For those of you on the Orca Tour, Captain Larry's Mom passed away in the wee morning hours before our cruise. Capt. Sean took us out, along with Dirk, who is full-time this season with Orca. Trip was good, saw many whales (no orcas), but it was cold & rainy.

If you get the chance, check out Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. It's a great place next to the library on the main drag just down from the dock & she serves the best crab bisque soup - I think that's why we missed dinner last night. We're headed out on the Yukon bus & rail tour w/Chilkoot today. I'll try to post when we get back.

If you have questions for me, perhaps you can start a thread under Princess - your groups seems to converse often so this will save me from reading through so many posts.

-- The Hag

Hag,

I'll get this party started, but listen if you are out having fun, if you never get back here, no worries! You're on vacation!

If you do:

How was the boarding process?

What time did you get there, how long was the wait?

Is there an area for Platinum?

In Juneau would you have taken the Mt. Roberts tram or was it too rainy to do that?

LOL........I thought for a moment that Merle Haggard was on the ship! :eek:

His nickname is Hag, or The Hag, and I'm a huge fan. My license plate says HAG FAN. :D

The Hag is onboard the Golden (Inside Passage). If you have any questions, please post them here, but nothing like, will you ck out the view in Cabin 433 (LOL!!!).

-- The Hag

She just posted this to me:

Questions?

Hi, I am Sunnesmile and I am on the same cruise as H20.

1) I am interested in your weather in each port and the temperatures.

2) Also, for Tracy Arm day, what is optimum viewing location. We have a balcony, but I don't want to miss anything, so should we be up on deck?

3) How long is the ship in the Tracy Arm area and when does it arrive there, early AM or later morning?

THANKS SO MUCH! :o

Well...I have a predictable question. Have you found that the new wireless minutes are included in the Elite and Platinum benefits on your cruise? They say they'll be phasing them in before winter. But I'm cruising on Saturday... so I'm very curious.

Nope, we're out of luck with the WiFi. I'm following you by a week.....it won't be phased in on Golden til later in the year.....nutz :(

Hag, I'll get this party started, but listen if you are out having fun, if you never get back here, no worries! You're on vacation! If you do:

How was the boarding process?

What time did you get there, how long was the wait?

Is there an area for Platinum?

In Juneau would you have taken the Mt. Roberts tram or was it too rainy to do that?

Y - I have a few minutes before the (my) Captain starts yelling at me - we're in Ketchabuzz today. Boarding process was okay; I've had better & certainly worse experiences (Ft. Lauderdale); we had a 6:30 a.m. flight from San Diego, landed at Seatac by 9:00; took the Princess transfer & were in our room by 11:30 - r/s hadn't finished, but let us put our stuff down. No area for Platinum (bummer). Rained all day in Juneau and Mt. Roberts was really fogged in so we didn't go up (or to Mendhenhall). That's the nice thing about playing it by ear, I guess; if the weather cooperates, you can elect to go and if not, you just keep in the bag for next time.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll see what elese everyone wants to know.

Hi, I am Sunnesmile and I am on the same cruise as H20.

1) I am interested in your weather in each port and the temperatures.

2) Also, for Tracy Arm day, what is optimum viewing location. We have a balcony, but I don't want to miss anything, so should we be up on deck?

3) How long is the ship in the Tracy Arm area and when does it arrive there, early AM or later morning?

THANKS SO MUCH! :o

T- weather is pretty dang cold. Can't say it enough - bring layers. And something other than jeans b/c when it rains, your jeans will just get wet and you'll be sorry. I have a great lined workout/sweat suit that I have worn off the ship both in Juneau & Skagway. Perfect b/c my pants didn't absorb water. Temps I would say were in the very low 50's - last year same time we had temps in the high 60's.

Tracy Arm was great - I still like Glacier Bay better, but we were able to get almost all the way in. To really enjoy the full experience, you must get up by 6:30 a.m. (6:00 for the full effect), and you should be mobile. We spent some time on our balcony, some time having breakfast with a window view in the covered Horizon/Caplypso Bar area, some time in Skywalkers, and some time on the decks and in a friends aft suite. Grab a jacket, a blanket (you check these out from deck attendants on 14), binnocs, camera and just cruise around. Mobility is key (both to stay warm and to see everything). I think we were out of Tracy Arm by 11:30 or so.

Hope this helps.

P.S. PL Hag stands for Point Loma Hag (I'm a [female] Hag and live in Point Loma, which is an area of San Diego. I have a similary license plate, but it's not b/c of good 'ol Merle.

Yes, Merle Haggard does come to mind when The Hag is mentioned. Either that, or that terrible witch in Disney's Snow White - the one with the long nose with the prominent wart.
You found me out - except I have more than one wart!:eek:

Well...I have a predictable question. Have you found that the new wireless minutes are included in the Elite and Platinum benefits on your cruise? They say they'll be phasing them in before winter. But I'm cruising on Saturday... so I'm very curious.
Based on my question to the i/c attendant just now, wireless IS included in the Elite/Platinum benefits, but only certain areas on this ship have wireless capabilities. He told me the i/c, of course, some areas in the atrium around deck 7, and some areas of the horizen court have wireless signals. Hope this helps.

Okay, that's it for now..... off to "Ketchabuzz!"

T- weather is pretty dang cold. Can't say it enough - bring layers. And something other than jeans b/c when it rains, your jeans will just get wet and you'll be sorry. I have a great lined workout/sweat suit that I have worn off the ship both in Juneau & Skagway. Perfect b/c my pants didn't absorb water. Temps I would say were in the very low 50's - last year same time we had temps in the high 60's.

Tracy Arm was great - I still like Glacier Bay better, but we were able to get almost all the way in. To really enjoy the full experience, you must get up by 6:30 a.m. (6:00 for the full effect), and you should be mobile. We spent some time on our balcony, some time having breakfast with a window view in the covered Horizon/Caplypso Bar area, some time in Skywalkers, and some time on the decks and in a friends aft suite. Grab a jacket, a blanket (you check these out from deck attendants on 14), binnocs, camera and just cruise around. Mobility is key (both to stay warm and to see everything). I think we were out of Tracy Arm by 11:30 or so.

Hope this helps.

P.S. PL Hag stands for Point Loma Hag (I'm a [female] Hag and live in Point Loma, which is an area of San Diego. I have a similary license plate, but it's not b/c of good 'ol Merle.

Excellent info, Hag. I'm really glad I bought some driducks for us. I may look ridiculous in them, but I will be DRY!

I can tell that the vast majority of you are from warm/dry places (Cali, TX and such), like I used to be.

Teresa and Yvonne, I promise to hide in my staterooom while the ship is in motion, particularly on glacier day. I have also decided, in deference to y'all, to bring only one pair of shorts with me (and those only to sleep in). I think that the only time I have ever worn more than two layers in AK was 9/11/01 and that was because it was 40 degrees, with 40 mph winds and sideways rain in Juneau.

The 10 day forecast is calling for temps in the high 40's to mid 50's with occasional showers.

The marine forecast is not quite so pleasant, though. Seas 12 to 18 feet with a SW swell on top of it through mid-week next week.......drag out the mal de mer meds if you need them. Hopefully we will see some high pressure build in after that and have a less active time of it before we get to Dixon Entrance.

Nine days and counting.

Hag,, as to the WiFi, could you please double check. I called Customer Assistance at Princess, and they confirm that WiFi is still NOT included on Golden, and you have to pay $0.50 per minute for it until it IS included in the Platinum/Elite packages.

Hag,

An eye roller question... Were they many jeans in the dining rooms other than formal night? Getting a lot of mixed answers about that. Although I do remember wearing jeans to the dining room in February on the Golden and no one ever saying anthing about that.

Thanks for the great info. Also will take laptop if there is WiFi otherwise will use internet cafe.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Carole

Hag,

An eye roller question... Were they many jeans in the dining rooms other than formal night? Getting a lot of mixed answers about that. Although I do remember wearing jeans to the dining room in February on the Golden and no one ever saying anthing about that.

Thanks for the great info. Also will take laptop if there is WiFi otherwise will use internet cafe.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Carole

Carole: I'm brininging my laptop one way or the other, but I sure won't use it for internet if I have to pay $0.50 per minute for it, not when DD and I are both Platinum/Elite.

Hag,

We were on the Golden a few weeks ago..there were lots of jeans in the dining room on the non-formal nights. We had anytime dining so I can't speak for the traditional dining room.

Archived