Restaurant Question

jpg1747

I saw an "infomercial" about NCL on cable the other night. It showed passengers looking at a computer screen of a list of restaurants that showed table availability. There looked to be about 8 different restaurants. I'm not familiar with NCL Freestyle dining. How many restaurants are free and how many have an additional charge? Does it vary from ship to ship? Thanks.

The answer is...it depends:D

The newer ships have up to 13 restaurants of which half (roughly) cost additional. Basically, on all ships you will get the buffets, room service, "hamburger grills", pizza nooks, on deck BBQ's, and main/secondary dinning rooms for free. The Italian, Bistro, Asian, Steak, TexMex (debatable, I know) have and additional $10-$25 charge per person. Some ships have some free specialty restaurants like Blue Lagoon (fish and chips/wings). Some ships (older, pre-freestyle ones) only have 2 - 3 specialty restaurants.

So yes it does vary ship by ship. The best thing to do is narrow down on a ship and then search these boards again (or ask) and you should be able to get exact information.

As a side note, I am not to sure how many ships have the electronic boards so don't expect to see it fleet wide. I believe the Pride of Aloha had one, but I am not for certain.

I saw an "infomercial" about NCL on cable the other night. It showed passengers looking at a computer screen of a list of restaurants that showed table availability. There looked to be about 8 different restaurants. I'm not familiar with NCL Freestyle dining. How many restaurants are free and how many have an additional charge? Does it vary from ship to ship? Thanks.

I just got off my first NCL cruise Sunday on the Spirit, and I was really surprised to see all of the restaurants onboard. There are 2 main dining rooms (Windows and the Garden Room - I don't know if the names are the same on all the other ships), which don't cost anything extra. Then you have the specialty restaurants which all have a cover charge. There's a bunch of different ones, all with different types of food- Asian, French, a "steakhouse", sushi, italian, and then a teppanyaki restaurant where they cook your food right in front of you. They all have a different cover charge, here's the ones on the Spirit- I'm sure they're similar if not the same as the other ships:

Shogun(Asian)- $15 per person

Le Bistro(French)- $15 pp

Cagney's(steakhouse)- $20 pp

Sushi- $15 pp

La Trattoria- $10 pp

Teppanyaki- $25 pp

The screen that you saw on tv was a tv that is located around the ship telling you how empty or full the restaurant is, and if there is a wait or not. It has the general idea whether the restaurant is packed or empty, but I found it sometimes to be off, no big deal.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Archived