I got a great gown for a steal!!

tncplace

But that won't keep me from shopping at Nordstrom:D . And that changed policy may only pertain to the Scottsdale AZ store.

Hmmm, that's interesting.

I don't shop at Nordstrom's, we don't have them here in NY.

I've been to one in New Jersey and bought an evening dress, and the alterations were free. But as you noted, that might be a thing of the past.

Yes, often simple hem alterations are free with a full price purchase, but carry a charge is bought at a mark down.

But can't imagine a store that would force you to buy a garment after they ruined it in an alteration. I just don't think that would ever happen in a dept store like Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom, etc.

It's frustrating that DH and DS can buy a suit, jacket or slacks and get the alterations free of charge or at a very reasonable price from most retailers yet when I pay a comparable (or even higher) price for a dress, suit, skirt, or slacks, many retailers don't even offer this service, or if they do, charge a fortune for it.

I learned the hard way that "bargains" can turn out to be nothing but.

I generally don't buy anything that needs alteration, unless is is something simple that I can do myself.

DD on the other hand, get most of her clothes altered (She is rignt at the height where petites are a tad too short, but regulars are way too long) She has an alterations person (at a dry-cleaner) that she has been using for years. Because of her expereince with this person, she knows how much various alterations will cost and can figure this in when she is shopping.

Just thought of another tip that might save you some money. If the dress has a lining or underlayer that doesn't show from the outside, (depending oin your skills) you might consider getting just the outer layer done by a professional and doing the lining or underlayer yourself.

I shopped with many men for suits, and I've seen lots of men shopping for suits in stores and I've yet to see a man who walked out with a suit that didn't need alterations. Cuffs, hems, take in waist, let out waist, dress right/left, lift shoulders, taper back of jacket, etc etc. On of the worst signs of a cheap and ill fitting suit is when the collar stands away from the shirt at the back of the neck instead of lying flush with it.

You know Jane, that is what makes men look better, "classy" if their suits are altered to fit. A man just looks better even if he is wearing a mid priced suit, if the suit pant's length or jacket sleeves are where they should be, not half an inch too long or half an inch too short, that the pants FIT in the waist, and the shoulder seams are where they should be. I suppose that is why even mid priced stores have that service.

As I said, my hubby has had suits altered by our seamtress, but it was because of weight gain or something simple like stiching had come loose and needed to be repaired. Since my sewing skills are not even mediocre, and he does not want me to ruin something we paid a considerable amount of money for, he takes it to our seamtress.

We always have to get my DH's clothes tailored. He is 6'4", which means we have to buy extra long trousers and get them hemmed and then because he does a lot of running he has reasonably big thighs, but is otherwise very trim - so we have to buy a bigger size and then get it taken in. He is much more complicated to shop for than me!

What annoys me about men's fashions is that so many of their regular clothes (not suits and other more expensive items, which can and should be altered to fit), but slacks, shirts, etc., can be bought in one-inch increments for waist size and length. So my husband can buy slacks with a 30" inseam and 36" waist, for example, or shirts with a 33" sleeve length, while I cannot, with some exceptions.

I have to make do with whatever the standard length is in a Misses 8--usually too long--or petite 8--usually too short--and alter even the most casual of slacks and tops. Shirt sleeves tend to be too long in misses and ok in petites, but then in petites the torso length is wrong on me. So basically, with a few lucky exceptions, nothing fits just right. I'm lucky I can do basic hemming.

How about Equal Opportunity is clothing sizing!! Give me more choices.

Oh, by the way I did buy the highest heels I could find but the dress was still way too long, the seamstress says they are making them that way now. I wish they would make clothing sizes for women like they have for men where they have the length in two inch increments. I guess they know men would never bother going to a tailor, lol.

Thank you ladies :)

Well I, for one, am thrilled to see longer gowns. At 5'9" I was never able to by long gowns. You can always have something shortened but try adding 3-5 inches.:( For my last 2 sons' weddings I was able to by gowns off the rack and even wear low heels, a first for me.

It would be great to by jeans or pants in 2 inch increments. Why do they seem to think if you're a 4 or a 6 you only need a 30" inseam? Every once in awhile I'll find the 36" I need. Don't even get me started on sleeve length! ;)

You know Jane, that is what makes men look better, "classy" if their suits are altered to fit. A man just looks better even if he is wearing a mid priced suit, if the suit pant's length or jacket sleeves are where they should be, not half an inch too long or half an inch too short, that the pants FIT in the waist, and the shoulder seams are where they should be. I suppose that is why even mid priced stores have that service.

Everyone looks better and classier if their clothes fit. :)

I never understood why women expect a garment - especially a blazer or trouser - to fit them right off the rack.

One of my friends is going through some very tough financial times right now and buys cheap cotton shirts from places like the Gap, and then has her seamstress taper them in to her size two frame. A lot of people ask her where she gets her shirts because look so expensive. It's just because they fit her well.;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just paid 90 dollars to have my dress hemmed this week!:eek: Of course it was way too long. She had to take off about a foot. I have never seen a dress so long.

This lady did the alterations on my wedding dress seven years ago, and all that was needed at the time was a little taken up under the arms. That was $75.00 dollars, then I figured when she told me $90.00 this time, it wasn't unreasonable.

There was a lot involved with this dress, as it is three layers, two of lining, and the outer layer which is Gerogette. It also has a sweep train in the back, so I know she had a lot of fun dealing with the whole thing...She did a wonderful job, and although it was expensive in one way, I know the dress is right.

Really a little scared of the cleaners in our town right now. There was a certain cleaners here, with about six locations, and they all closed up last week, and now people can't get their clothes! Luckily this is not the one that we use, and had no problem getting the tux and shirts back! Whew....

I just got a David Meister floor length dress from Nordstrom for $88! From the original $290:D However, when I tried to get the picture from Nordstrom online so I could post it here, it's gone, gone, gone. At that price I'm not surprised.

It's full length, has a twist front with a sweetheart neckline and slight cap sleeves - very flattering and fits perfectly except for the fact that I am only 5"2' and the dress is 6'! Alterations here I come.

My question is - and I never thought I would have to ask as I usually have great fashion sense - the color is cherry, so think not bright red, but more subdued, but not quite cardinal. The fabric is the typical David Meister crepe jersey. I'm leaning towards strappy silver sandals as opposed to gold. I think the gold looks too bright against the color, and I want the dress to stand out, not my feet. Black is definitely out as too harsh (I already tried that combo). I have some almost grey satin shoes that look OK, but . . .

Any suggestions ladies? And I wear a 6.5 or 7 2AA or 3AAA:eek: , depending on the shoe.

The problem may be that since the dress is on sale, the "warranty" or "guarantee" may not be the same, so you would have to check first. I know when I pay full price at Nordstrom, a simple hem will be included, but if the garment is on sale, they will charge what typical prices are around here for any alteration.

While it's always good to double check, I seriously doubt that a store like L&T would force you to purchase an item after they messed up an alteration on it.

Yes, it's typical in many stores that a small alteration is free when the item is full priced, but if it's on sale, all alterations carry a charge. Makes sense.

I just got a David Meister floor length dress from Nordstrom for $88! From the original $290:D However, when I tried to get the picture from Nordstrom online so I could post it here, it's gone, gone, gone. At that price I'm not surprised.

It's full length, has a twist front with a sweetheart neckline and slight cap sleeves - very flattering and fits perfectly except for the fact that I am only 5"2' and the dress is 6'! Alterations here I come.

My question is - and I never thought I would have to ask as I usually have great fashion sense - the color is cherry, so think not bright red, but more subdued, but not quite cardinal. The fabric is the typical David Meister crepe jersey. I'm leaning towards strappy silver sandals as opposed to gold. I think the gold looks too bright against the color, and I want the dress to stand out, not my feet. Black is definitely out as too harsh (I already tried that combo). I have some almost grey satin shoes that look OK, but . . .

Any suggestions ladies? And I wear a 6.5 or 7 2AA or 3AAA:eek: , depending on the shoe.

Depends a lot on your coloring and how you plan to accessorize. For me, I would go with silver, but if gold is more your thing, there is a muted gold (not as shiney) that may work. Also, animal print shoes are popular with reds.

The dress is much too formal for animal print IMHO, but I am between not shiny gold and silver. I just got 2 pairs of shoes from zappos:D today and both look great. They are Vaneli Mirelys style (I will copy a pix if I can), very strappy, very pretty 2" heels. So then I google the dress, find it on nextag stating it is available at Nordstrom, but it isn't. However, that picture shows the dress with black strappy shoes! Guess I'll get the dress hemmed and decide then. All 3 pairs of shoe possibilities are the same heel height.

I'm Irish and my coloring is red, freckled, and I do wear red as I'm not into "color coding". Whatever looks good goes with me;) , and everyone who has seen the dress says it looks great - and yes, these are people who would say "yuck, why did you buy that?".

I have until December to make a decision and if I can get away with 1 pair of evening shoes, great - considering the airlines new money-making baggage allowance rules. I am determined to get by with only 1 bag each and DH is large, so his clothes take up a lot of space. But thanks to Curt I know how to maximize space!

I'm Irish and my coloring is red, freckled, and I do wear red as I'm not into "color coding". Whatever looks good goes with me;) , and everyone who has seen the dress says it looks great - and yes, these are people who would say "yuck, why did you buy that?".

I would think with your coloring that gold would be your metallic of choice.

I am very short also and need everything alter. I use my dry cleaners also. They do a great job and for a fraction of the price. I take everything to them for the last 5 years and have never had a problem. Their work is great and I get it back in a week. So check out your local dry cleaners.

Laura

Uh, not short. Vertically challenged!!;)

Archived