Just Back - Quick Diamond Princess Review

Bobby Jones

Just got home from the Mexican Riviera aboard the Diamond. For what it is worth, here's my opinion. I might add that my wife and I are fairly laid back and do not let a minor inconvenience or two to spoil our vacations.

The Diamond Princess is a beautiful ship. Nicely decorated and all the public rooms are outstanding. We also found all Princess personnel very cheerful and accomodating and never failed to give a greeting, with a smile and a look in the eye. Much better than a mumbled word or two in passing.

We had a balcony stateroom on the Caribe deck, which was very nice. The balcony was half covered and half open, unlike the ones below us which were entirely open. The balcony had two loungers, with pads, one small table and one large one, and two plastic patio chairs. The only drawback was the shower. It was very narrow and I had a hard time turning around and bending over. But I managed okay and got clean. Thankfully we don't have to eat or sleep in it.

Food was wonderful! We ate in the International Dining Room (traditional) and didn't have one complaint. Service was outstanding. We also had menus from the four themed restaurants (anytime dining) and so we didn't miss out on any food choices. We didn't think the Horizon Court Buffet was quite up to par with other shipboard buffets and the layout didn't flow as well. But we managed to always get enough to eat, so I was happy.

Entertainment was very good. The production shows were outstanding. One night there was a juggling team that started out a little slow, but they managed to entertain everyone eventually. If they give a backstage tour when you are aboard be sure and go. It's very entertaining and enlightening. You would be surprised at the dressing room for 15 singers and dancers, who have as many as seven costume changes during a show. It's about as big as the shower.

We went on our own in Puerto Vallarta, but took a tour up in the Sierra Madre mountains in Mazatlan. It was a seven hour tour, but completely wonderful. Went to two tiny old mining towns, with churches built in the 1700s. Small, narrow cobblestoned streets which weren't big enough for our bus. We did lots of walking. Pigs and chickens in the street and people riding burros. No gift shops - just a few people selling stuff. The tour, which cost $64 through Princess also included lunch and two refreshment stops. And also included a tour of a brick making company and furniture factory. Most all the work done by hand! In Cabo a group of us did a glass bottomed boat ride out to the arches and around that area. Eight dollars for about an hours ride.

Weather was hot AND humid! But now is supposed to be the start of the cooler weather.

Embarkation and debarkation were a bit tedious - mostly due to security and customs. Ever since 9/11 they are checking a lot more closely, which is fine with me. If it makes my travel safer then I don't mind a little longer wait. I did find that those who came aboard around 2 or 3 pm on embarkation day got right aboard and didn't have to fight any crowd whatsoever.

Everyone I talked to had a wonderful time. Sorry I'm not capable enough to post some photos, but go out and take some of your own. Bon Voyage!!!!!

Great review! I got off the Diamond 10/16 and I agree 100% with you.

Did you see lots of fish in the Cabo glass bottom boat? Did you enjoy the ride? Recommend or no? Going back on the Diamond on 11/27 and may want to give the glass bottom boat a try.:D

To answer your question, Lindberg, we could see fish through the glass, but only their shapes. The operator said the bigger ones were sardines. Others looked very tiny like anchovies or something similiar. Not very clear. But the boat ride out and around the arches was excellent. I think I shot a whole roll of film. The cost was only $8.00 for the 45 minute ride. Well worth it. And short enough to do other things in Cabo, especially since the ship left at 2pm. There are lots of vendors on the pier offering their boats and all were almost exactly the same. Enjoy!

Hola -

We are just back also. I agree - she is BEAUTIFUL! You're also correct on the entertainment. I'm glad I stayed long enough for the jugglers - they did end with a bang. We had a slight mishap with dining arrangements. We were confirmed on 2nd seating traditional but were assigned as "Anytime". When all the dust settled, we were re-assigned to traditional but at a table for four instead of the requested eight. Thankfully, we enjoyed our table mates - but tables for four can be dicey. Only other complaint was lack of knowledge on the dining services staff for the special occasion packages. They were not quite clear on what was included and what was not. I would advise future cruisers to verify what is included in packages. Ports were great. Las Caletas in PV, Randi's Horses in Maz and golf in Cabo. Unfortunately I had to return to work today - I kept waiting for the guy to come around and ask about cocktails :). Can't wait til next time.

I'm just off the 10/16 sailing of the Diamond as well. To add my 2 cents - in Cabo you just have to try the fresh mango margaritas at the Mango Deck - the best I've ever had!! Huge and they're 2 for the price of 1 - happy hour all day!! You just gotta love it. The food was good too...............I think..........after 2 of those margaritas - I can't be sure. LOL

Also in Mazatlan search out the pineapple tamales in white masa........yuuummm!

Hola -

We are just back also. I agree - she is BEAUTIFUL! You're also correct on the entertainment. I'm glad I stayed long enough for the jugglers - they did end with a bang. We had a slight mishap with dining arrangements. We were confirmed on 2nd seating traditional but were assigned as "Anytime". When all the dust settled, we were re-assigned to traditional but at a table for four instead of the requested eight. Thankfully, we enjoyed our table mates - but tables for four can be dicey. Only other complaint was lack of knowledge on the dining services staff for the special occasion packages. They were not quite clear on what was included and what was not. I would advise future cruisers to verify what is included in packages. Ports were great. Las Caletas in PV, Randi's Horses in Maz and golf in Cabo. Unfortunately I had to return to work today - I kept waiting for the guy to come around and ask about cocktails :). Can't wait til next time.

3shoes

We will be doing Las Caletas and Randi's as well. Did you enjoy these excursions?

Both days were excellent. Las Caletas is very relaxing - great margaritas (or beer or anything else) and wonderful food. The trip to Randi's and Randi, herself, is what makes it so special. Cab (back of pick up truck with benches) to boat to tractor to horses. They really are happy. I was not sure of riding as it was my first time and it was great. Victor's on the beach - I can't say enough. We had six beers, onions rings and lunch (we split because it's large) - the bill was $13.00 :). Everyone knows Randi and her gang. They are all really special. Many repeat riders - one of our group had done it 6 times - and someone else brought her sausage (she says she is tired of shrimp). Anyway - it was extremely reasonable and we had a blast. Enjoy!!

Archived