Wine Questions

ybarber

In FLL if you are coming to the port from the airport you pass the shopping center where Total Wine is. Here is what fellow passengers told us they did... they shopped on-line and had their taxi stop on the way to the port to pick up the box. We were told that Total Wine will have it boxed and ready to take on the ship when you arrive.

If you have access to the Neptune Lounge the concierge will have your bottles of wine sent to the dining room for you. We took a couple of bottles to the dining room the first night and what was left over was corked and waiting on our table the following night. We never experienced inadequate service because we brought our own wines. In fact the wine steward was always interested to see what we brought.

Have great cruise, Cherie

Unfortunately I won't have access to the Neptune Lounge, or this would all be much easier. Also, I'm embarking in Montreal, so I'll go over to the Canada board and see what they suggest.

Thanks all for your help!

Just go to a government wine store and pay $20-25 for an excellent bottle of wine. The British Columbia wines I purchased prior to our recent cruise to Alaska were so much better than what was being offered on the HAL wine list (not a single bottle from BC on their list) and I spent less money than I would have ordering off of the wine list. I have had wine by the glass on HAL before and was not happy with the quality of the wine I was offered.

As a general comment on the HAL wine stewards, they can be undertrained and overburdened. Their job includes selling soda, beer, mixed drinks and wine. If a number of people in the dining room are drinking Diet Coke your wine order may have to wait.

I went on-line to Total Wine. Am in the process of reviewing their wine offerings, but have found ALL of the

wines we consume in our home. I have "registered" with them and am listing all of the wines we consume on a regular basis.

In addition, I am reviewing their consumer's ratings and plan to try a few new wines at home before we head out to Fort Lauderdale for our Oct 19th B-T-B cruise. Since we normally order at least one bottle of wine per night on this 14 day cruise, I will probably have Total Wine deliver our order directly to the ship.

We are not wine snobs, but know what "tastes good" to us. We have a 30 bottle "cellar" that is normally full of the wines we enjoy on a daily basis. Our wine budget:

Normally under $10/bottle. I would rather bring my own choice of wines on board and pay the corkage fee than pay $30-$35/plus for a bottle of wine I've never tasted.

We do occasionally "splurge" on more expensive wines, but so far, I've not found a $100 bottle that tastes that much better than a $20.00 bottle. Ho hum, I've got a peasant's tongue, but it does save the "ol" pocket book.

So, now it looks like we will have at least a case delivered to the ship before we board. Wouldn't surprise me if we wind up with a "hughmongeous" wine bill, in addition to what we bring on board.

As the song says: "That's life, and you might as well enjoy it". We have been blessed and know it.

Bon Voyage to all!

. . . what we were going to do about wine on our trip. But our travel plans have changed, and now, based on what I'm reading here, once again, I'm up in the air.

We were originally planning to arrive in FLL on the day of, and would not have had any time for shopping. But based on things I've read on OTHER threads on Cruise Critic (there's SO MUCH to learn on this board!) :) we changed our air travel and are now arriving in FLL the day before. This now leaves us time to shop for wine if that's what we decide.

Based on what I'd read on previous threads concerning wine, I was planning on ordering a 3-bottle wine package. I preferred this option to the wine card, because of the fact that some said the size of the pour can differ vastly, depending on who's doing the pouring. I don't always want to wonder if I got my "fair pour". I also kind of prefer the "elegance" (if you will) of having the bottle on the table. Kind of an atmosphere thing. Also, I didn't think I'd feel comfortable schleping our own bottles down to the dining room. Also, a previous thread indicated that the wine stewards tend to frown on it when you bring your own, and you don't necessarily get the same level of service w/regard to refilling your glass as you would if you'd purchased the wine onboard.

So, that combined with what I've read on this thread, and once again I'm unsure.

I'm not a real finnicky wine drinker, so that's not really an issue. I'm still thinking no to the wine card, but now I'm torn between the wine package and bringing my own. Thing is, my 2 sisters (and our husbands) are also cruising with us, and we could buy a case for a WHOLE lot less than 3 wine packages onboard. And, I'm thinking it would be possible to bring our wine down to the dining room at a time other than dinnertime, when it's not quite so obvious, yes? But, what are the comments regarding the different level of service, and it sort of being frowned upon? I'm not seeing those comments on this thread like I did on previous ones.

OK, sorry for rambling, you get the drift of my query . . .

Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale has a website. We preordered 3 cases of wine from them ahead of time. When we got to Ft.Lauderdale we picked it up. They will even deliver it to your hotel if your spend over a certain amount. But it's so close to the Port, whether you arrive the day of the cruise or the day ahead, you can have your taxi driver swing by and pick it up on your way to the ship. It was all packed and ready to go when we got there.

I would absolutely bring your own wines on board. Total Wine is easily accessible on the way to the cruise port. We brought 5 bottles on. We are red wine lovers, but one evening brought a bottle of Chardonnay. We had late seating, so dropped off the bottle before heading to the show, and the wine steward chilled the bottle for us! The wine steward was wonderful, and always kept our glasses topped off, and never charged a corkage fee. Be sure to tip them extra at the end!

I have a question. On a thread it was stated that he or she brought their own wine to dinner and drank it in front of people. sometimes offering (i think). I am single and on a budget but i would like to spend good money on wine. I will be taking the time to go to total wine and picking up my wine. I would love to share my wine but not whole table and not every night. what is the etiquette for this situation? I will be on a group cruise and I do not know these people except my cabin mate and I far as I know she doesn't drink.

Normally under $10/bottle. I would rather bring my own choice of wines on board and pay the corkage fee than pay $30-$35/plus for a bottle of wine I've never tasted.

We do occasionally "splurge" on more expensive wines, but so far, I've not found a $100 bottle that tastes that much better than a $20.00 bottle. Ho hum, I've got a peasant's tongue, but it does save the "ol" pocket book.

We enjoy our search for "value" wines. I introduced my not-yet-DH to the joys of value wines many years ago. At one time, my limit was $5/bottle, and we found many really enjoyable wines at that price, at that time. We've since increased our "limit" but still enjoy the search and the discovery. Enjoying wine is not simply an issue of price.

And for the record, I was recently given a very expensive bottle of wine IMHO. Around $100. It was very nice. Not 7-10 times as nice as one we'd have chosen, but very nice.

I would love to share my wine but not whole table and not every night.

How big is the table you'll be seated at? I know when our table was sharing wine, there were six of us, one couple ordered the first night and requested that the waiter pour for all, then everyone picked up the cue and we just sort of rotated from that point on. So no one had a disparate burden, y'know?

I don't how many are at the table. I will be going in february so I nothing has been finalized on that end yet. Or is it and i haven't looked? I think if I were in this position I would return the favor but lately I haven't seen people return the favor when I offer something. I guess I shouldn't expect it. This is a random act of kindness.This is my first time on a cruise so I am learning so I won't look like a fool. But I don't want to be mommy warbucks either. I am little excited and I haven't heard from anyone in this group or from my cabin mate. I know it is early (way early) but it is exciting to be on this board that I am caught up in the moment.

I went on-line to Total Wine. Am in the process of reviewing their wine offerings, but have found ALL of the

wines we consume in our home. I have "registered" with them and am listing all of the wines we consume on a regular basis.

In addition, I am reviewing their consumer's ratings and plan to try a few new wines at home before we head out to Fort Lauderdale for our Oct 19th B-T-B cruise. Since we normally order at least one bottle of wine per night on this 14 day cruise, I will probably have Total Wine deliver our order directly to the ship.

We are not wine snobs, but know what "tastes good" to us. We have a 30 bottle "cellar" that is normally full of the wines we enjoy on a daily basis. Our wine budget:

So, now it looks like we will have at least a case delivered to the ship before we board. Wouldn't surprise me if we wind up with a "hughmongeous" wine bill, in addition to what we bring on board.

As the song says: "That's life, and you might as well enjoy it". We have been blessed and know it.

Bon Voyage to all!

Born Cruiser 2:

We are on the same cruise with you - did Total Wine say that they will deliver to the port? We bought transfers to the port directly from the airport, so a direct delivery would be great - how did you do it - did you just give them your cabin number? My Husband is like you are, not a wine snob, but he knows what he likes and he doesn't like to pay $40 a bottle. I am not a wine drinker so he doesn't need that many bottles. Maybe 3 - but I'll bet they won't deliver that few - we were thinking that perhaps my Parents and I will "transfer" and he will take a cab to Total Wine and meet us at the port.

I guess we'll figure it out! Thanks.

Thanks a million for the info!

I have a question. On a thread it was stated that he or she brought their own wine to dinner and drank it in front of people. sometimes offering (i think). I am single and on a budget but i would like to spend good money on wine. I will be taking the time to go to total wine and picking up my wine. I would love to share my wine but not whole table and not every night. what is the etiquette for this situation? I will be on a group cruise and I do not know these people except my cabin mate and I far as I know she doesn't drink.

F22mom - I always travel solo, and always have my own bottle of wine (not sharing with anyone). I'm usually at a table for 6 or 8, and it hasn't ever been a problem. The wine steward usually asks how many glasses and I tell him/her one. They'll recork the bottle when you're done with dinner, and you can have it the next night. Not to worry!

Born Cruiser 2:

We are on the same cruise with you - did Total Wine say that they will deliver to the port? We bought transfers to the port directly from the airport, so a direct delivery would be great - how did you do it - did you just give them your cabin number? My Husband is like you are, not a wine snob, but he knows what he likes and he doesn't like to pay $40 a bottle. I am not a wine drinker so he doesn't need that many bottles. Maybe 3 - but I'll bet they won't deliver that few - we were thinking that perhaps my Parents and I will "transfer" and he will take a cab to Total Wine and meet us at the port.

I guess we'll figure it out! Thanks.

Thanks a million for the info!

I don't believe Total Wine delivers to the ships. They will, for an order over $150, deliver to your hotel if you are arriving precruise and staying at a local hotel. Otherwise, you can pick it up at the store. It's right on the way to the port and it'll be all packed and ready to go.

To the poster who is concerned about the equiquette of sharing her wine at a large table, I would just order your wine (or bring it to the table with you) and when the sommolier asks how many glasses, you simply say one. You are under no obligation to share your wine with complete strangers. Most likeky, if they drink alcohol, they will order their own cocktails or wine. I'm assuming you won't consume an entire bottle at dinner, so your sommolier will simply cork the bottle and have it ready for you the next evening (you pay the corkage fee only per bottle, so you won't get charged again the next evening for the same bottle).

We enjoy our search for "value" wines. I introduced my not-yet-DH to the joys of value wines many years ago. At one time, my limit was $5/bottle, and we found many really enjoyable wines at that price, at that time. We've since increased our "limit" but still enjoy the search and the discovery. Enjoying wine is not simply an issue of price.

quote]

One of my hobbies is tracking down good (Robert Parker or Wine Spectator 85 points, preferably closer to 89-90) wines at reasonable prices (ideally $10 - $15 a bottle. I make up a list of value wines, but I do something that others do not: to get on my WineValueList, the wine must have a minimum case production of 10,000 cases, so you have some chance of finding the wine.

Alas, I don't sell wines and do not own stock in any wineries or wine stores.

Here's a link to a website with my WineValueList: http://www.winevaluelist.com

Cheers!

p.s. For those of you sailing from FLL, make sure you have a dinner at Chef Allen's in Adventura. Easily on my all time top 10 list.

Bengoshi, thanks for the link! One of our favorites is Vina Chilcaya from Chile, either Cab or Merlot. In Canada, home of outrageous taxes, we can get it for $10 - $13/bottle. Have you tried it? We are finding our best values to be from Chile at the moment.

I'll be referencing your list before we leave from San Diego to Mexico. We've decided to take along a few bottles of wine on the ship.

F22mom, if you're at a table for 4 or 6, on the first night I'd be inclined to offer wine to the tablemates. The next night, tell the steward one glass only for your bottle. After that, the table mates would be on their own. That's just me, though, not saying it is a gotta-do. You'll know what's best for you.

Last cruise I brought an inexpensive suitcase with a box of cab and a box of chard and all my sandals). Someone on the board mentioned this and called it her booze and shoes suitcase. My 12 year-old thought that was hilarious and so do I. I don't usually drink wine in boxes but I wanted my mother and father to have plenty to drink since they were treating for the cruise (thanks!). I got a recommendation of Bota box from this board and it was kind of funny at the liquor store because the wine guy thought I was a genius and was fawning over my exquisite taste...lol...(I live in a state that is not a big wine drinking state)I consider myself a "value" wine drinker and I like a well crafted wine and won't bother with most "house" wines (rather drink water). We came in the same day as we sailed and didn't have time to stop and buy wine...I am making up for that next time. Thanks for the info on the online pre-shopping.

Regarding bringing your own bottle into a restaurant. It has always signified to me that it was a bottle that was special in some way--either high quality, a gift, or something sentimental that the restaurant does not carry. I don't think you should feel as if it is tacky, it shows you have an opinion and a preference about wine...even if it is that you don't want to pay too much for something. The few times I have done this ( I don't think it is actually legal in my state) the wine guy has graciously accepted a taste when offered.

Enjoy!

Anne

Last cruise I brought an inexpensive suitcase with a box of cab and a box of chard and all my sandals). Someone on the board mentioned this and called it her booze and shoes suitcase. My 12 year-old thought that was hilarious and so do I. I don't usually drink wine in boxes but I wanted my mother and father to have plenty to drink since they were treating for the cruise (thanks!). I got a recommendation of Bota box from this board and it was kind of funny at the liquor store because the wine guy thought I was a genius and was fawning over my exquisite taste...lol...(I live in a state that is not a big wine drinking state)I consider myself a "value" wine drinker and I like a well crafted wine and won't bother with most "house" wines (rather drink water). We came in the same day as we sailed and didn't have time to stop and buy wine...I am making up for that next time. Thanks for the info on the online pre-shopping.

Regarding bringing your own bottle into a restaurant. It has always signified to me that it was a bottle that was special in some way--either high quality, a gift, or something sentimental that the restaurant does not carry. I don't think you should feel as if it is tacky, it shows you have an opinion and a preference about wine...even if it is that you don't want to pay too much for something. The few times I have done this ( I don't think it is actually legal in my state) the wine guy has graciously accepted a taste when offered.

Enjoy!

Anne

Here in New Jersey, a lot of restaurants don't have liquor licenses, so they advertise to "BYOB". We always like restaurants where we can bring our own wine and/or liquor. It keeps the bill down significantly.

I guess I am selfish but everybody seems to be overlooking a simple fact. At best you get a total of 5 glasses of wine out of a standard wine bottle. We do not offer the rest of our tablemates any of our wine (we almost always sit at large tables) for fear we will not get any of the wine WE BOUGHT. If various couples are taking terms buying the wine then I will gladly share but being diabetic I can only drink red wine and I didn't buy it for someone else to drink.

how far is total wine from the ship? I was just wondering that after I check in I would go over to the shop (walking- if I could or taxi) and get the wine. How much is the taxi? And I was wondering how much is the taxi from the ship to airport when we embarked.

Has anyone stayed at comfort inn on stirling road? Map quest says it is 3 miles and 20 min to the ship while the person at the hotel says it is 1 mile and 5 min to the ship. How much would the taxi be for that with a stop at total wine? Anybody know?

So many questions. Thanks

to those of you leaving soon on a cruise, this morning I received an email from total wine offering some couponsthat are good until oct. for as much as $15 off when you spend a hundred. worth looking into.

We stayed at the comfort suites on stirling rd last year, nice clean hotel, not really near too much but fine for a one night pre cruise. depending on traffic it didn't seem very far at all from the cruiseport. but we used the free shuttle to and from the airport and cruiseport. so can't offer advice on the cost of a taxi.

My DH and I are leaving on the Zaandam here in a couple of weeks. We have never taken wine on board and we have always been disappointed with the wine offered from the wine packages. Therefore, this time, we are bringing on 9 bottles (15 day cruise) of our favorites. This just offers us so many more choices than with the wine cards and packages. Also, still cheaper to bring to the dinning room and pay the $15.00. We live in San Diego and are leaving out of San Diego, so this makes it easier for us this time. We drink whites and our plan is to put the wine on ice in our room so it is cold for dinner. When you get to the dinning room they put it on ice and it should be fine.

We are really looking forward to having wine we KNOW we enjoy!

Archived