Mallorca

seg1

I think you will need to rethink what you define as 'sights' as Mallorca is not an island that could be covered in one day.

For example you could base your day in Palma, the island's capital and see the Lonja, the Cathedral and Bellver Castle as well as drive along the promenade and have a swimming stop in a resort to the west of the capital - Palma Nova, Magaluf or Santa Ponsa (predominantly British resorts) - or to the east C'an Pastilla, Playa de Palma or El Arenal (predominantly German resorts).

However you could explore inland Mallorca ...... taxi from port to railway station, catch the train to Soller and take the tram to Puerto Soller and then take a taxi back through the mountains, visiting some tropical gardens en route.

Another inland route would take you to Inca and then to the mountains to the Monastery of Lluc, and finally on to Sa Calobra (if your nerves can stand the road!) for a seaside stop.

Other possibilities would be from Palma eastwards to Pollensa and Cape Formentor (via Inca), and another route from Palma to Inca, the Dragon Caves (Drach) and possibly a visit to a pearl factory - Majorica or Orquieda.

You might find it useful to google day excursions/shore excursions/taxis/ Palma. Mallorca is a lovely island and I think you will really enjoy your time there even if limited.

For example you could base your day in Palma, the island's capital and see the Lonja, the Cathedral and Bellver Castle as well as drive along the promenade and have a swimming stop in a resort to the west of the capital - Palma Nova, Magaluf or Santa Ponsa (predominantly British resorts) - or to the east C'an Pastilla, Playa de Palma or El Arenal (predominantly German resorts).

Obviously you know Mallorca very well and I would like to ask a couple questions:

1. We will be there for a day in April 2009 and like to explore on our own. Would you recommend renting a car to see some of the sights a bit further from downtown?

2. What would be the best way to go to the Bellver castle, then take in a beach place such as Magaluf, come back to Palma and see the Lonja, shopping, etc?

3. Are there any tours companies that you know of, or is this all easy enough to do on our own? Taxis perhaps??

I appreciate your input.

Hello Lair Bear! I love Mallorca and have great memories of my visits! I'll do my best to reply to your questions!

1. We will be there for a day in April 2009 and like to explore on our own. Would you recommend renting a car to see some of the sights a bit further from downtown?

I think that if you just want to visit Palma, you use your feet (comfy shoes please!) and take a taxi to Bellver castle.

If you decide that you'd like to visit another part of the island, car hire is a good option IF you don't feel daunted by driving on the right hand side of the road, and cope well with traffic that knows where it's going when you don't! A navigator (human rather than sat nav perhaps) can be most useful and can be blamed if things go wrong.

Always book your car hire in advance and make sure that you return it in time to get back to your ship.

2. What would be the best way to go to the Bellver castle, then take in a beach place such as Magaluf, come back to Palma and see the Lonja, shopping, etc?

I would take a taxi (or a series of taxis) and do those events in the order you propose - you may find parking difficult in Palma. There are buses between Palma and Magaluf, but then you would be worried about getting one, having the correct fare.

3. Are there any tours companies that you know of, or is this all easy enough to do on our own? Taxis perhaps??

I am sure that there will be plenty of tour companies who could provide taxi travel or even excursions, but don't know of any personally ..... sorry I feel I'm letting you down. I'd google 'shore excursions Palma', 'day trips Palma' or even 'taxi companies Palma'.

From personal experience I would also recommend the website Holiday Truths where there is a particular forum devoted to the Balearics and whose members should be able to give you plenty of help and suggestions as to who to travel with.

All good wishes, and wish I could have been more precise, but we were never as tied for time as you will be and would prefer you to get more accurate information from those in the know!

Archived