? San Diego to San Pedro ?

KCfan

..... for you California cruisers.......

How hard would it be for us to fly into San Diego and drive up the coast to San Pedro for departure ?

We have never been to Calif.and want to do some sightseeing.

Thanks,

Linda

..... for you California cruisers.......

How hard would it be for us to fly into San Diego and drive up the coast to San Pedro for departure ?

We have never been to Calif.and want to do some sightseeing.

Thanks,

Linda

Need more info. How long before your cruise will you fly in? What day of the week are you traveling and plan on heading from SD to LA?

Shouldn't be a problem if you are leaving on Sunday as long as you leave yourself plenty of time to get to your ship (at least 2 - 3 hours if traffic is good - and that is taking freeway all the way). In fact, to me it sounds like a good idea. Plenty to see and do in San Diego. You could take the 5 Freeway to the 405 Fwy to the 110 Fwy. The 110 takes you right to the Harbor. Just make sure you mapquest directions. I'm sure you would have a terrific time.

I think that everyone says that Enterprise is the only car rental near the cruise port.

In San Diego visit Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo. Many museums here that are worth visiting.

http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/organizations.php?catID=5

My favorites are the San Diego Air and Space Museum and the Model Railroad Museum.

Visit the USS Midway Museum http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957

Seaport Village, drive out to Point Loma, enjoy the view and the historic lighthouse http://www.nps.gov/archive/cabr/lighthouse.html

Or enjoy a trip up the coast highway on your way to LA.

If we cruise out of LA, we usually drive up the night before and stay close to the cruise port. If you do drive up the day of allow at least 4 hours on a weekday morning, 2-3 on a weekend.

Have a great time!:)

Oklahoma,

Some ideas...

Rent a car at the San Diego airport, and see San Diego. Then head north toward Los Angeles and spend the night in Laguna Beach (a bit pricey but worth it), Newport Beach, Irvine or Huntington Beach. There are also some very nice hotels in the vicinity of the john Wayne Airport as well. This will give you about a half day of sightseeing before it is time to board the ship.

It is about 2 hours or so from San Diego to San Pedro. Remember to use the carpool lanes which allow you to save time.

It is my understanding that enterprise is the only car rental agency serving San Pedro.

Fred

When you leave San Diego and head up to LA take the coast route through Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and into San Pedro.

You can access HWY1 off the 5 in Dana Point (Camino Las Ramblas / Pacific Coast Hwy exit). Laguna has the most spectacular views. Stop for lunch in Laguna. I'm not that familiar with the restaurants in that area so maybe someone else can help in that category.

Parking in any of the beach towns can be a bit of a pain on weekends (especially if the weather is nice). But don't let that deter you, there are a lot of metered spaces and municipal lots.

In Laguna Beach, Las Brisas is a Mexican/Seafood place on a blufftop park overlooking the ocean. Definitely make reservations in advance. They are casual yet upscale in cuisine and prices.

Another option is Ruby's Diner at the end of the Balboa Pier. They are inexpensive but good. There are quite a few locations but the Balboa location has the most atmosphere.

Laguna Beach is an art town with many galleries and botiques. Dana Point to the south and Huntington Beach to the north are more surf culture. Newport Beach and Corona del Mar are very wealthy residential communities with very upscale shopping malls. There's also the mission in San Juan Capistrano which is about as historic as things get here in South Orange County. There's tons of stuff to do, it just depends on your interests and budget.

You might also consider taking old US101 between La Jolla and Oceanside. It parallels Interstate 5 but goes through the old downtowns. It's more scenic than I-5 but a slow drive (maybe 90 minutes to go the 30 miles).

Have a great cruise, you will enjoy San Diego too!

Archived