Carry-on Luggage

ar_annie

Can you carry-on all of your luggage aboard the ship (cruising NCL Star 12/7) providing your bags fits into the x-ray unit? I like having all my stuff with me so I can get settled in, and don’t have to worry about when/if my bags will show up outside my door. My first and last NCL cruise was 17 years ago and they perminately lost my “honeymoon” suitcase with the majority of what you would consider cruise necessities.

Thanks - annie

I'm assuming you will be checking some luggage with the airline but they would be small enough pieces that you could carry all with you to go through the check-in. I personally wouldn't do it. Once I know my bags have made it to my destination I would see them to the dock check-in and let the crew take them from there except for one carry-on with meds, papers, jewelry, toiletries and a change of clothes to suit the climate I'm leaving from. Don't forget the sandals, also. You could try to take it all with you but I would think it would be really cumbersome. Good luck and happy sails.

Even if you travel light to carry on all that is needed for a week cruise can be a pain for you and when you leave the ship a pain for everyone else. What was 17 years ago and what is today are two different things: most of the time now luggage arrives in your cabin with in an hour toi 3 hours after you do; sometimes even faster. It is a rareity that luggage gets lost: you can't carry that much on the plane so why would you want to carry it on the ship? Just my humble opinion. NMNita

Go for it . As long as your bag will fit through the xray machine and it makes you feel better why not. A lot of passengers take advantage of the express disembarkation and carry thier bags off the ship. Besides it will give you motivation not to overpack. :)

I don't believe in checking luggage and have never had a problem on Disney, Carnival, Hal or Princess with carrying all my luggage on board with me. I don't anticipate one on my NCL cruise either. Vacation doesn't start until all the unpacking is done, and if I have all my stuff with me, that happens so much quicker. Bags with wheels are not at all cumbersome to get to the room with. And when it comes time for debarking, I also don't check my bags. I can get in my cab and on my way that much sooner without all the waiting and crowds. Haven't pissed anyone off yet doing this. And, btw, if for some reason your bag doesn't fit through the screener, they sometimes have a template over them that can be lifted up to allow more room, or you are allowed to request that security hand check your bags. (Never had to do that though).

When sailing on the Star to Alaska this summer, I was told that a good rule of thumb is that you're permitted to take with you when boarding the ship whatever luggage you carried on the airplane. In other words, if you take it with you when you board a plane, you can do the same thing with that luggage when boarding an NCL ship.

I guess I am outnumbered here, but still can not understand how anyone can get a week's worth of cruise clothes in one carry on wihich is all that is allowed on the plane. Well, you can carry 2 pieces on I guess. Still, we had a situation a few years ago when several young people apparently touring the country were on our 4 day RCL cruise. Debarkation was a little hectic and with 20 of them trying to get all their luggage down the esculator it held us all up. They were afraid the would miss their connections, well many of us were afraid we sould miss our flights because they were holding everything up. I am still not convinced carrying enough for a week onto the ship is a good idea. NMNita

Archived