Walking around Florence

My DH and I are planning to explore Florence on our own during our upcoming trip this November. We are thinking of either taking a bus from the train station to Fort Belvedere and then walking back down across the Arno down Ponte Vecchio out to Santa Croce up to the Duomo and then back to Santa Maria Novella or forgoing the bus and just walking around the city and but probably not going across the river. Does anyone have any recommendations for routes they have taken that have worked out well? Thanks for your time!

Are you planning on entering any of the museums? if so, which ones? How much time do you have?

If just walking -- no museums -- I'd bus it to P. Michelangelo (across the Arno; great city view) and wander back from there. I would skip Belvedere (yes, it is a great view, I agree). I would save my walking around time to spend time in the Boboli Gardens (fee to enter).

Florence is just made for walking - much of the historical centre is car-less (though people numbers more than make up for them). I agree with ab0si if you are not planning on visiting any of the major museums - the Boboli Gardens are wonderful and easy to get to (and into though there is a shortish queue often). There are so many superb buildings to visit - Palazzo Vecchio is a very interesting building to visit (it is the seat of the city council and mayor's office so still in use).The Ponte Vecchio is wall to wall people but still interesting - expensive gold jewellery.

We are spending a day in Florence in early October - just walking around and visiting churches etc as we have been to the main museums before.

Florence is just made for walking - much of the historical centre is car-less (though people numbers more than make up for them). I agree with ab0si if you are not planning on visiting any of the major museums - the Boboli Gardens are wonderful and easy to get to (and into though there is a shortish queue often). There are so many superb buildings to visit - Palazzo Vecchio is a very interesting building to visit (it is the seat of the city council and mayor's office so still in use).The Ponte Vecchio is wall to wall people but still interesting - expensive gold jewellery.

We are spending a day in Florence in early October - just walking around and visiting churches etc as we have been to the main museums before.

Are the museums worth it? I was planning on checking out the Uffizi.

Are the museums worth it? I was planning on checking out the Uffizi.

There are more world class masterpieces in Florence than in any other city. Michelangelo's David is arguably the greatest work of art ever.. anywhere (at the Galleria dell'Accademia). The Uffizi has a remarkable collection .. literally wall-to-wall masterpieces. The Bargello would be considered a must see in any other city of the world but is often bypassed as there is so much to see in Florence. The Boboli is an entire group of museums and there are at least three other museums containing great art (actually there are more than that).

There is way too much great art to see in a day (or three days), but, ya, the museums are worth it.

If you're like us, we'll be in Florence on a Monday when the museums are closed. I found this walking tour in a Fodor's Italy book. According to the book "to say this walk is beautiful could be misconstrued as an understatement". I copied it and printed it to bring with us. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Walking Tour: Start at the Duomo and Battistero, climbing the Campanile if you wish. You can go directly south from in front of the Duomo to the Piazza della Signoria by way of Via dei Calzoiuoli (from here you can take a quick detour west on Via degli Speziali to Piazza della Repubblica and take Via Orsanmichele to Orsanmichele), or go instead directly south from the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo along Via del Pronconsolo to the Bargello, opposite the ancient Badia Fiorentina, built in 1285. Head west on Via della Condotta to Via Calzauioli, then south to discover the architectural splendors of the Piazza della Signoria, including the Loggia dei Lanzi and the Palazzo Vecchio. The Galleria degli Uffizi, perhaps Italy’s most important art gallery, is off the south side of the piazza. Leave from the piazza’s southwest corner along Via Vacchereccia. To the left, at the corner with Via Por Santa Maria, lined with stores, is the Marcato Nuovo. Follow Via Por Santa Maria to the river; walk east along the north side of the Arno to Piazza dei Giudici to see the Museo di Storia della Scienza. Back-track west along the Arno to the Ponte Vecchio.

I would suggest that you make a list of places that you would like to visit (order them by priority.) Buy a good guide book (or read one at a local library or bookstore.) Then get a good map of Florence and locate the places that you want to see. Connect the dots (so to speak) and re-arrange the priority so as to egt a good flow from start to finish.

I have been to Florence 50+ times and there is no way that I would attempt that walking guide as suggested. You would be totally lost within minutes.

Hi....in addition to the walking, there is a Hop on/ Hop Off tour available in Florence that is affordable (less than $30) and will take you all around the city with ear phones and a narrative to give you a little background of what you are seeing. Then you can go back and see any sights that you want to see without worrying that you might have missed the overall city. Look at a company called VIATOR on the computer for information about the HOHO tour and other tours available in Florence. We have also found information about these tours on Expedia.

We are on the NCL Gem Sept.21-28 and will stop in Florence for a day. We are going to take the train from the port into Florence. There is a lot of good advice about train travel from the ports on the Cruise Critic threads that has given us courage to try it on our own. Then we are going to take the HOHO tour and try our best to see as much as we can with the limited time. Happy cruising!

You would be totally lost within minutes.

I agree. The streets go here and there and then dead end...... no rhyme or reason. We had to stop and ask directions twice just to get from the Ponte Vecchio to the Duomo....and its not that far :eek:

But.....we loved just walking and looking and stopping and then walking some more.

Don't try to "cram" too much in......try to stop and "feel Florence" - it is a wonderful charming warm city. We feel in love with it in 4 hours ! And we will go back !

Archived