Just another newbie with annoying questions

newbie-cruizer

As the title says......

DH and 2 kids and I are planning on doing out first ever cruise in Feb 09 aboard the Pacific Dawn.:)

Questions.....

Kids Club - Kids will be 4 and 8, do they have to be split up?

Ship - What activities shouldn't be missed on the ship?

Season - Is February OK for cruising? I notice that Nov - Apr is storm season?

On shore - How do you pay for souvineers on-shore? Given that tickets etc are paid in Aust dollars on the ship. Does the ship exchange money before you go to the island, and if so do they change it back afterwards?

Activities - We will be visiting Vila, Ouvea and Isle of Pines....any activites that SHOULDN'T be missed?

Snorkelling - Can you take your own snorkelling gear? If not, how much is it to hire on the islands (or is it hired from the ship)?

We have not had a family holiday (or any holiday at all for that matter) for 3 years....can you tell I am excited :D

Thanks for reading!!!

Not sure if i can answer all but here is some.

Ship - The shows in the showlounge on the Pac Dawn are good but wouldn't take the kids to many of them. Marriage Match is hilarious

Activities - Ouvea is pure paradise with crystal clear blue water and soft white sand. The island is't too big and most of the day will probably be spent on the beach and in the water. Vila is a great small city with heaps of shopping. I wouldn't miss the duty free at Fung Kuei (down the end of the main street). Depending on your taste, i've done the jetboat adventure on both of my cruise trips and have had a blast even if you get a bit wet. Ekasup is a good shore tour giving you insight into tribal life. Have done the lagoon cruise and it is very relaxing and gives you a look sailing past Le Meridien, Le Lagon and Poppys on the Lagoon.

Snorkelling - You shouldn't have any problem taking your own snorkelling gear or you can hire from the Aqua Hut or purchase from the Signature Collection on the ship.

I've just come back from one cruise on the Pac Dawn and can;t wait for the next. Enjoy the journey.

Jase aka VicGuy

As the title says......

DH and 2 kids and I are planning on doing out first ever cruise in Feb 09 aboard the Pacific Dawn.:)

Questions.....

Kids Club - Kids will be 4 and 8, do they have to be split up?

Ship - What activities shouldn't be missed on the ship?

Season - Is February OK for cruising? I notice that Nov - Apr is storm season?

On shore - How do you pay for souvineers on-shore? Given that tickets etc are paid in Aust dollars on the ship. Does the ship exchange money before you go to the island, and if so do they change it back afterwards?

Activities - We will be visiting Vila, Ouvea and Isle of Pines....any activites that SHOULDN'T be missed?

Snorkelling - Can you take your own snorkelling gear? If not, how much is it to hire on the islands (or is it hired from the ship)?

We have not had a family holiday (or any holiday at all for that matter) for 3 years....can you tell I am excited :D

Thanks for reading!!!

I can answer some more of your questions...

Kids Club - The kids will be split up. We had friends on our last cruise and their kids (same ages as yours)and they were split up. However they easily adapted to being 'seperated' and made their own little group of friends.

Snorkelling - We took our own snorkels only and hired only the flippers onboard. (as to cumbersome to pack etc), The whole set however can be hired onboard at $40.00 and flippers for around $20.00 charged to your cruise card along with a $50.00 deposit which is refundable if returned within the timeframe they state, which is usually the next day after the last port of call. If you return them late they charge the $50.00 :eek:

We purchased our own snorkels prior to leaving as we wanted to ensure the correct fit for our faces rather than what PO hand out.

And believe me after fitting on several different snorkel masks prior to purchasing at local dive shop, they vary dramatically in size / shape.

As a rough guide our snorkels cost us $30.00 each and the mask seal is silicon (rubber is uncomfortable and doesn't easily adapt to your face shape so water gets in) I don't know if islands hire them out, but I wouldn't risk it with the lack of sanitising that would provide.

We're going on another cruise in a few weeks so we take them with us again.

Activities on shore Vila accepts australian dollars. For any major purchases we put them on our credit card, that way we did not have to take a large amount of cash with us.

Ouvea - We did not spend any money on the island, however when you get off the tender the islanders have mini buses / cars which they offer a ride/tour in. We didn't take this up as it was not far to walk to the beach area, but those who did get a lift paid a small amount in australian dollars.

Not to Miss Bingo (But I may have enjoyed that because we won on two different days)

Even our teenage kids played - in fact it was the only time we really saw them was at the bingo sessions. They decided that even though we bought the tickets, that if the book they played won the prize money was theirs.

Luckily for us I won and so did my husband the next day - the kids were really dissapointed with that one as we got to keep all the money. Yeh !!

They call the numbers out really slow so your 7 year old would have no trouble. For example 5 games takes 1 hour so you can get an idea of the slowness of the calls. If someone under 18 wins their parents / carer goes up to collect the winnings.

Thanks for the info so far.....keep it coming ;)

I have read the "first timers" thread, great info in there. Will read the "what to pack thread" when it is closer.

Can someone please clarify a term for me....."tender". I know what it means in reference to steak but not cruising :confused:

If you pay for something on your Visa, is it for that exact amount or are there extra charges because it is overseas??

I am sure I will have more questions later :p

Hi Newbie-Cruiser and welcome to CC!

Don't worry about asking questions --- this is definitely the place to do it - and we've all been there before - about to go on our first cruise, and wanting to find everything we can out!!! You've come to the right place!

As well as the responses you'll get on this thread, it's also worth doing a search of this board (there's a button at the top-right of the thread-section I think!) ... search for the ports you're going to, kids clubs, etc and see what else you can find out on other posts and threads!

Kids Clubs have been answered for you already - my children were 6 & 10 on their first cruise and were separated --- but they both thoroughly enjoyed their respective clubs!

We cruised in February this year and it was great weather ... can't promise it will be the same next year of course! No one can - but you just have to take what you get! It was quite humid in some of the ports, but BEAUTIFUL swimming weather!

We've bought our own snorkelling gear, which we keep in a separate bag for cruises and other holidays where it'll be used. We just grab the bag and go! We ended up getting gear from Big W when it was on special one time ... not too bad quality (obviously you get what you pay for) and for the few times year we'll use it - it does the job!

Tenders are the covered life boats --- they use them to go into shore at the ports that don't have a wharf/dock that the ship can pull up to. On the smaller islands, the ship anchors out in the deaper water and the tenders take you into shore. (Usually to a little jetty or the like).

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!:D:D

I have to pay the deposit tomorrow.....but we don't have passports.....is it OK to advise them of this when they arrive??

Absolutely! When you book, you are given a booking reference number - you can then either fill in all of your details (including passports, etc) online - or you can given them to your T/A or P&O direct.

You really just need your passports by the time you go (well probably a few weeks prior!!!) They are very quick to get these days (don't I sound old!) I remember when I got my first one 15 years ago or so - it took WEEKS/Months even! Very very prompt now!

Kind of off topic, but I went down and watched the Pacific Dawn leave Sydney a couple of Fridays ago. If I wasn't already booked on a cruise I think I'd have gone looking for a TA to book one - could feel the excitement of the passengers out on deck, waving madly. (Thought those on their balconies looked a bit lost and lonely...) And the ship seemed to just scrape under the harbour bridge, must have been a buzz to be on the top deck!

OK, back on topic. :D We went to Fiji in February on a land-based holiday a few years back. Yep, was hot and humid, but that was part of the "fun" of being in the tropics. You're on holiday, so you don't need to be real active. And you can swim often. There were frequent afternoon downpours, but they were brief and very welcome! If there is a cyclone or tropical storm, at least you are on a ship that should come to clear skies relatively quickly.

Your name - I'll have to change my sig. ;)

Cheers.

Yep, I just renewed my pp - took well under two weeks, and that included time in the mail. You should allow plenty more time than that though if they are your first passports. Plus I'd expect a rush of applications towards Summer, and the public servants will be taking leave over Christmas / New Years too...

If you pay for something on your Visa, is it for that exact amount or are there extra charges because it is overseas??

I am sure I will have more questions later :p

Your onboard account works like a hotel account, which is finalised on the last night. On Aussie based P&O and Princess, your card is charged once in AU dollars, so no overseas fees levied by your bank. You can check your spend during the cruise by requesting an interim statement from the Pursers desk.

There are a couple of years worth of great info regarding your initial questions. If you can only see back for the past month, change the default viewing time to a longer period at the bottom left of the forum page. There is also a forum search at the top right that can speed your searching up a bit.

Welcome to the boards, you've come to the right place for great info.

I guess your questions have been answered, but have to highlight Bingo as a must do. I only played on the last day and the jackpot was $9,000!!!!! Should have been there everday.

Can't wait for my next cruise.

Ella

Your onboard account works like a hotel account, which is finalised on the last night. On Aussie based P&O and Princess, your card is charged once in AU dollars, so no overseas fees levied by your bank. You can check your spend during the cruise by requesting an interim statement from the Pursers desk.

Sorry should have made that clearer......

I was wondering if you made a purchase via Visa whilst on an island, how the charges worked. Same amount as the item you purchase or extra charges.

I was wondering if you made a purchase via Visa whilst on an island, how the charges worked. Same amount as the item you purchase or extra charges.

We bought items on our ANZ Visa card and were charged an extra amount for currency conversion of about 2.4%. Hope this helps.:):)

Sorry should have made that clearer......

Will depend on your bank. Most will charge a percentage fee to convert a foreign purchase or withdrawal. Avoid using your card at IOP. Anywhere that accepts it there is expensive. Don't know of anywhere in Ouvea that will accept a card.

Vila is a popular duty free stop, particularly with alcohol (under $20 per litre). We bought ours at Fung Kwei's, which charged us in Aussie dollars, so no conversion fee.

I am so glad coon dog posted the pic of a tender.

I knew it was a small boat but for some reason I had been imagining a small rowboat type of thing and thinking we would have to be athletic to get down into it from the ship.:D

I could do it, mind:p

But the ferry type boat looks a lot more comfortable.:)

I am so glad coon dog posted the pic of a tender.

I knew it was a small boat but for some reason I had been imagining a small rowboat type of thing and thinking we would have to be athletic to get down into it from the ship.:D

I could do it, mind:p

But the ferry type boat looks a lot more comfortable.:)

The tenders also double as the lifeboats in an emergency. Comfortable enough for short shuttle trips to a wharf, but when filled with up to 100 passengers on a warm day the comfort is stretched a little.

I love tendering. Especially when it is a bouncy ride like at the Isle of Pines. There is usually music playing too, and everyone is in a happy mood. Everyone did all the actions to the Macarena one day and the tender crew turned it up loud. Stacks of fun.

I can't get over your name, Coon Dog. Curious, have you had any neg comments on here? :p

Hi Neil,

I assume his name relates to following the Western Bulldogs AFL team and liking the way Adam Cooney plays (he plays for bulldogs).

Coon (Adam Cooney) Dog (Western Bulldogs)

I may be wrong but i think that is the story behind the name.

Dogboy

(Also a fan of the Bulldogs)

Hi Neil,

I assume his name relates to following the Western Bulldogs AFL team and liking the way Adam Cooney plays (he plays for bulldogs).

Coon (Adam Cooney) Dog (Western Bulldogs)

I may be wrong but i think that is the story behind the name.

Dogboy

(Also a fan of the Bulldogs)

Oh, geddit now. Thx Dogboy. It's just that 'coon' ain't a pretty word, if you look it up in the urban dictionary and such. Was wondering if any of our PC American friends had said anything. I grew up in North Queensland, so I recognise the word. :o

Western Bulldogs eh? Perpetual losers. It's great to see them "up" this year isn't it! I cheer them on whenever I happen upon a game they are playing, always go for the underdog. haha, no pun intended. My wife (the AFL fan in the family) cannot stand the Akermanis fellow, so cheers against them. And ... aren't they playing the Swans this week? I'll have to keep quiet if I watch it! :D

Cheers.

Archived