Just another newbie with annoying questions

newbie-cruizer

Thanks for answering my questions....so far :D

I told you I would be back with more.....;)

* Can we bring alcohol from home to consume in the room?

* We have a special deal with $75/person on-board credit (therefore $300 altogether). Can that money be spread across us 2 adults (or do kids have their own on-board card thing too)??

Note: I have done searches on both but the search thingy keeps saying it's not available :(

Thanks again

* Can we bring alcohol from home to consume in the room?

* We have a special deal with $75/person on-board credit (therefore $300 altogether). Can that money be spread across us 2 adults (or do kids have their own on-board card thing too)??

Thanks again

Alcohol? P&O's documentation says no. The only way to get it onboard is to smuggle it past the X-Ray machines.

$75 per person is a great OBC, that often does not extend to 3rd/4th passengers - so is an excellent deal. You will all get a cruise card. It doubles as your pass on/off the ship. Unless you set up separate accounts, the OBC's (and onboard charges) will be transacted to the primary passengers account.

This time my question relates to travel insurance......

and when I should get it?

Having never been overseas and therefore never needing travel insurance, I don't know how it all works. I obviously want cover in case something unforseeable happens beforehand, but not sure how much in advance you actually take out the policy.

Note: I have checked out links posted on CC for insurance company quotes.

Thanks in advance

Renee

This time my question relates to travel insurance......and when I should get it?

Renee

Hi Renee,

It costs no more to get your insurance earlier because it is calculated on the length of the trip. If you have to cancel because of an accident or illness any loss would be covered (less the insurance excess). Check what the excess is and also check what 'events' you are covered for re cancellation.

We rely on the free travel insurance from ANZ Visa card and the excess is $250, but policies you pay for usually have a lower excess. If it is the same amount as you have paid as a deposit on the cruise, there would not be much point in getting the insurance until you are ready to pay the balance. I would not wait any longer than that.:):)

Evon.

Hi Renee

I usually buy my travel insurance when I make my final payment for the cruise. I figure I can afford to lose my deposit if I cancel but losing a couple of thousand is a different matter.

That way if something unfortunate happens between when you pay the final amount and when you are scheduled to travel, you are covered.

Jenny

Hi Renee,

Just a note on the OBC thing - we also had a credit for each of our passengers (2 adults and our 1 and 3 year olds) - $100 each. The actual credits are allocated to each passengers' "account" - you use a 'cruise card for everything on board and the children will also have one. You cannot use the kids cruise card for alcohol and so cannot use their OBC for your alcohol either. As we didn't do any shore tours we made sure that we used the kids accounts for things like pizza, duty free/on board shopping (non alcohol), coffee shop and photos.

Snorkelling Gear - we took our own. Our daughter (was 3 1/2 at the time) took her snorkel but preferred using just her swimming goggles. Another good idea for younger kids is to put a swimming bubble on them - my little girl can swim fine without a bubble/floaties but we used it so that she could just float along and put her face in the water to see (also stops them putting their feet down on the coral and means that they can go out into the deeper water without getting too tired!!). One of the best experiences I had on the entire cruise was having her swim along beside me in deep water as she saw 'nemo' - the look of excitement on her face was priceless!!

Have a great time planning and getting ready for your cruise - it is so much fun!!!

Dea

Hi Renee,

An OBC is a gift of X amount of dollars that you can spend any way you like on board. You do not have to pay it back. It is credited to your on-board account and can be used for drinks, shore tours, purchases in the on-board shps, or to cover your tips. If you have any credit left in your account at the end of the cruise you lose it.

You can go to the Purser's Office at any time and ask for a print-out of your account to see how it is going. It is always a good idea to do this a day or two before the end of the cruise. Check through it carefully and go to see the Purser's Office if there is an error. It is not uncommon to find a charge that has been put on in error. This is very easily fixed, but if you leave it until disembarkation morning you will be joining a very long queue. :):):)

Absolutely! When you book, you are given a booking reference number - you can then either fill in all of your details (including passports, etc) online - or you can given them to your T/A or P&O direct.

You really just need your passports by the time you go (well probably a few weeks prior!!!) They are very quick to get these days (don't I sound old!) I remember when I got my first one 15 years ago or so - it took WEEKS/Months even! Very very prompt now!

FYI .. I just had to pay for another passport.. it only took 3 weeks to arrive ... dont leave it that long though .. I had mine ready to go by the time I paid in full for the holiday .. about 90 days prior ..

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd ask in my original thread rather than starting a new one.....:cool:

Are snacks/drinks provided in the Kids Club for children (like mine) who think that they MUST eat every hour or so or they will die :rolleyes:??

Not long now.....I can't wait till I get my blue books:D

Renee

ETA - My 8 year old would like to know what sort of activities they will be doing in the kids club too.....Thanks :)

Hi Renee,

When we cruised in March (and I'd be surprised if it has changed) there was NO food or drink allowed in the Kids Club (my daughter was in Turtle Cove). They had water and cups available in the room - but you couldn't take anything. (We were actually grateful for this as my friends little girl has a severe peanut allergy and that helped with any concerns that she may be exposed to any unsuitable foods).

The kids club did have a pizza party on one day and also an icecream party on about the seond last day - both were held in the buffet from memory.

Hopefully your kids will be soooooo busy that they will forget their 'hungry alarm'!!

As for activities - I can only help with Turtle Cove - happy to email you the programs if you like - but I know that the kids days were jam packed - heaps of games/craft and they also had a kids concert on the last sea day - all the kids performed in the Show Lounge - some singing, dancing, playacting - it was priceless (and attracted quite a decent crowd I have to say! - many proud parents/grandparents and onlookers!)

One of the highlights for the kids in our group (which also included an 8 and 10 yr old) was the bridge tour - there was no formnally organised bridge tour for the adults but the kids did get their own guided tour of the bridge. Check your Shark Shack program each night (it will be delivered to your cabin each evening) and make sure that you book your kids in early on the day to go on the tour - it always books out prior to the actual time and they will have a waiting list!

Happy planning!

Dea:)

Hi Renee,

When we cruised in March (and I'd be surprised if it has changed) there was NO food or drink allowed in the Kids Club (my daughter was in Turtle Cove). They had water and cups available in the room - but you couldn't take anything. (We were actually grateful for this as my friends little girl has a severe peanut allergy and that helped with any concerns that she may be exposed to any unsuitable foods).

The kids club did have a pizza party on one day and also an icecream party on about the seond last day - both were held in the buffet from memory.

Hopefully your kids will be soooooo busy that they will forget their 'hungry alarm'!!

As for activities - I can only help with Turtle Cove - happy to email you the programs if you like - but I know that the kids days were jam packed - heaps of games/craft and they also had a kids concert on the last sea day - all the kids performed in the Show Lounge - some singing, dancing, playacting - it was priceless (and attracted quite a decent crowd I have to say! - many proud parents/grandparents and onlookers!)

One of the highlights for the kids in our group (which also included an 8 and 10 yr old) was the bridge tour - there was no formnally organised bridge tour for the adults but the kids did get their own guided tour of the bridge. Check your Shark Shack program each night (it will be delivered to your cabin each evening) and make sure that you book your kids in early on the day to go on the tour - it always books out prior to the actual time and they will have a waiting list!

Happy planning!

Dea:)

im going to change my age to 8yr old so i can get a bridge tour thats so cool

Hi Newbie-cruizer - I'm a newbie cruiser too - and we're on the same cruise - it's getting so much closer and very exciting!

I'm not sure if you have seen the Roll Call section? There's a few of us on the roll call for our cruise there - if I was a little more skilled I'd post a link to it - however I have no idea how to!

You're more than welcome to join us if you like :) If not, hope you and the family have a wonderful time!

I got my tickets, I got my tickets!!! :D

So, so excited. No cabin has been allocated yet, but I would be happy to sleep anywhere really :cool:

I am wondering what hours the kids club opens?? We want to do a jet-boat ride first thing (and kids are too young), so will need to leave them in the kids club until it's finished, THEN we can all go exploring :)

Vila seems to be the only stop with organised tours. Do we just organise the other tours at the other islands ourselves ON those islands when we arrive??

How long does it take to walk and buy :p your way thru the markets??

Hi Newbie-cruizer,

I have an idea you can't leave your children in the kids' club while you go ashore. I haven't cruised with kids for many years, so I am not 100% sure. I suggest you check this out before you book a jet boat ride for yourselves and then you are stuck with what to do with the kids. :):)

In Vila I suggest getting a taxi to town (about A$15) and buying duty free if you want any. Fung Kuei (at the far end of the main street) is the best, much cheaper than on the ship for alcohol. There is a market behind the shops (on the harbour side) and a market on the wharf. It is difficult to say how long it would take to walk through the market, because it depends on whether you want to look at everything, or just glance casually as you walk. A lot of the stalls have similar merchandise. This will be your only chance for shopping.

We usually go sightseeing and to town in the morning, go back to the shop for lunch, and then go out to the market on the wharf after lunch.

One of the most popular excursions in Vila is to the Cascades. You can go by taxi and pay the entrance fee (Aussie dollars). It is much cheaper than going with the ship's tour. Ekasup Village is also very popular.

P & O don't run tours in Ouvea and Isle of Pines. Activities are mainly swimming and snorkelling. At both places you can go with the locals for a short tour. :):)

Evon.

I got my tickets, I got my tickets!!! :D

So, so excited. No cabin has been allocated yet, but I would be happy to sleep anywhere really :cool:

I am wondering what hours the kids club opens?? We want to do a jet-boat ride first thing (and kids are too young), so will need to leave them in the kids club until it's finished, THEN we can all go exploring :)

Vila seems to be the only stop with organised tours. Do we just organise the other tours at the other islands ourselves ON those islands when we arrive??

How long does it take to walk and buy :p your way thru the markets??

Hi newbie

Congrats on your cruise and getting your tickets, isnt it exciting :D. I hope you and the family have a lovely relaxing smooth cruise.

I like Ela2 i do not think you can leave the children in care whilst on the island, from memory they actually close whilst in port or island, might be worth a phone call to P&O to ask them and then report back and let us know. :confused: Have a great time

Kruzein

Hi newbie

Congrats on your cruise and getting your tickets, isnt it exciting :D. I hope you and the family have a lovely relaxing smooth cruise.

I like Ela2 i do not think you can leave the children in care whilst on the island, from memory they actually close whilst in port or island, might be worth a phone call to P&O to ask them and then report back and let us know. :confused: Have a great time

Kruzein

They're right ... definitely can't leave your kids on board while you go ashore! (Tempting though it can be at times!!!:p:))

We too had looked at the jet boating when we went to Vila last, but had to decide against it as our children are still underage. We'll just do it another time when they're older!

Thanks for the above advice....

I finally got a response from P&O re kids club whilst in port. Note to self... always ring, never email :)

Kids Club IS available whilst in port but at least ONE parent must be on board during this time.

DISAPPOINTING NOTICE....

The jet-boat rides have been cancelled altogether for our cruise :(:( No jet-boat rides AT ALL...boo hoo. This is something sooooo wanted to do, and am now going to cry :confused:

Now to decide what else to do.....

Renee

Hi there Newbie cruiser, we recently visited Villa on our NYE cruise. We did the buggy tours. Was great, they are like dune buggys and you go thru part of town then thru a village where all the kids come out and thru paddocks etc,, went for about hour and half. Kids loved (so did hubby) Fiona

Archived