[b]Please don't move[/b]

Hurricane Girl

I posted this on the ports of call boards & I got no replies & I posted in my roll call board & got no replies. So I thought I would try here.

We are going to Roatan (first time there) my DH is going diving & there are several places I would like to go. I have done some research about the island & I see they have a public bus that runs all over the island. Has anyone done this? If so, do you think it is safe for a 38 yr. old woman to do alone? I really don't want to take a taxi around the island & I don't want to rent a car. I don't want to be stuck at the ship or do an excursion. I want to see many different things while there & stay at each one as long or as short as I choose but I want to feel safe in doing so.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can give. :)

I would not do anything like a public bus alone in a foreign land or even in the US if I could help it!

Why don't you see if you can share a tour of Roatan with someone from the Roll Call? Safety in numbers!

I would hesitate to go out on my own. It's a beautiful island and I can't wait to go back, but especially if I were only there for one day, I'd stay with some kind of tour guide or go on a ship excursion. Especially as a woman alone in an unfamiliar place.

The public buses seem to "disappear" on cruise days. Hire a driver for the day or try to share one with someone from your roll call. Don't stay on the boat.... this island is to beautiful to miss!! Enjoy your cruise:D

We were in Roatan last week. We rented a motorcycle and rode all over the island. I do not remember seeing buses that would be what you described, but could have missed it.

Roatan is a great island but did not strike me as the place I would use a public bus system (if available) for a short stay. (I am not the skiddish, afraid to go in my own type.) If you do not want to go on an excursion, I would hire a driver. I think you can do that for around $25.00 - it may be more for single occupancy. I know the place we rented the motorcycle from will also supply a driver for a personalized day on the island.

If I had a few hours to spend in Roatan alone, I would take a taxi to the west end, wonder among the shops. There is a nice area for swimming and snorkeling. When you get ready for a bite to eat, there are many options to choose from.

Enjoy - I can't wait to go back to Roatan for a longer visit.

Thank all of you for your responses. dgack1, from what I have seen on line the island is beautiful & I don't intend to miss it. There are several things there I want to see & I wasn't sure about hiring a guide for the day (the cost) but I didn't want to go out on the buses without knowing what to expect.

In Nassau, I don't think twice about getting off of the ship & going out on my own as I have done that a couple of times but wasn't too sure about Roatan. I will try Bodden Tours & see what I can do with them.

mwsrccl, I somewhat agree with you about safety in numbers but I also know first hand that sometimes numbers does not matter. While in Daytona in 2005 I had a 12 gauge shotgun put to my head in a Krispy Cream doughnut shop. There were several workers there, myself, DD & her friend while DH was sitting at the front door in the car waiting on us. So I do know what can happen. Please don't take that response the wrong way I just don't want you to think that I am that nieve (spelling).

Thanks again to all of the responses!!! :)

Thank all of you for your responses. dgack1, from what I have seen on line the island is beautiful & I don't intend to miss it. There are several things there I want to see & I wasn't sure about hiring a guide for the day (the cost) but I didn't want to go out on the buses without knowing what to expect.

In Nassau, I don't think twice about getting off of the ship & going out on my own as I have done that a couple of times but wasn't too sure about Roatan. I will try Bodden Tours & see what I can do with them.

mwsrccl, I somewhat agree with you about safety in numbers but I also know first hand that sometimes numbers does not matter. While in Daytona in 2005 I had a 12 gauge shotgun put to my head in a Krispy Cream doughnut shop. There were several workers there, myself, DD & her friend while DH was sitting at the front door in the car waiting on us. So I do know what can happen. Please don't take that response the wrong way I just don't want you to think that I am that nieve (spelling).

Thanks again to all of the responses!!! :)

Another option that I've heard about is Fins and Flippers. It's a short walk to their pier from the cruise ship pier and they have snorkeling, a pool, shopping, a restuarant, etc...

You can always consider a ship excursion if you want just a tour of the island but I thought the Victor Bodden Tours were great. The only thing that would be prohibitive for 1 person would be the cost, but maybe you could share with someone in your roll call?

I posted this on the ports of call boards & I got no replies & I posted in my roll call board & got no replies. So I thought I would try here.

We are going to Roatan (first time there) my DH is going diving & there are several places I would like to go. I have done some research about the island & I see they have a public bus that runs all over the island. Has anyone done this? If so, do you think it is safe for a 38 yr. old woman to do alone? I really don't want to take a taxi around the island & I don't want to rent a car. I don't want to be stuck at the ship or do an excursion. I want to see many different things while there & stay at each one as long or as short as I choose but I want to feel safe in doing so.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can give. :)

We used Wilkie Rivers at Roatan Bay Island Bus owned by his brother Randy. Great gentleman took us all over the island and to lunch at a restrauant he recommended that was great. I had made arrangements before we left on the cruise and he was waiting for us at the port with a sign that said our name. As he will tell you he is yours for the day and will take you were ever you want. His # 504-445-3629 or e-mail at rer120@yahoo.com

Archived