Is this unacceptable?

Kerry78

Thinking back to my cruise last September on the Legend, I had a question.

On one of the nights, my husband really wanted to have the shrimp cocktail in addition to another appetizer on the menu. Now this only happened on one occassion and I remember it being towards the middle of the week. Anyway, he was kind of put in his place by the waiter who said basically absolutely NOT. Now this was the first time we had sailed on carnival, we had previously only sailed on Norwegian, and had always had EXCELLENT customer service oriented type waiters. Basically my husband just apologized and said thats fine, that he would just take the shrimp.

Is that really unacceptable?

Im asking seriously....

We have never had a problem ordering anything we want. In fact my son ordered two shrimp cocktails every night on our last cruise, in addition to anything else he wanted. We've always ordered as many entrees and deserts as we want. On one cruise I just ordered two lobsters on lobster night and when my daughter ordered hers the waiter jokingly said " and how many would you like?" We still laugh about it.

No explanation or anything.... The reason I ask is that on my last RCCL cruise I asked for extra lobster and the waiter stated that they had to make sure they had enough first and then they would bring out extras. He sure did too 7 of them... :) If there was no explanation than that is poor service....

I am surprised that happend!!! I just came back from a carnival cruise with 12 people and we all ordered more then one appetizer almost every night with at least 1 or 2 people doing the shrimp. they even made special macaroni with butter or cheese for the kids.

Thank you everyone! I was so embarrassed that night and so was my husband- seriously! When he asked this is basically what the waiter said, and I can almost quote but I wont in case I miss a word LOL He said- Oh no sir, you can only order 1 appetizer per person. We were so embarrassed, like I said, my husband just was like Oh im sorry, ok no problem. Inside I was saying "wow we never had this issue before HOW embarrassing".....

Now that I KNOW that its unacceptable I wont feel so bad next week and I will tell my husband to go ahead and ask for it! I mean jeesh, the guy just loves shrimp, and its only a few! LOL

Another issue we had with this waiter by the way is that we were "scolded" one night for coming in to dinner late. I was late because my son was giving me issue with getting there- as you know a 4 yr old can do. When we arrived the waiter told us that he "did not even know if he could GET US food b/c we were so late" (10 minutes) So I was like , well Im sorry we are late but we are hungry- is there anything we can do? and he was like I'll see if there is somethind I can do. Took our order and miraculously came out with the apps. I know we shouldnt have been late- and believe me we never were late again LOL! I just didnt care for this waiter at all, I wish I could remember his name. He wasnt very nice to us. I just assumed he didnt like us for some reason. I cant imagine why, we are very polite people.

Anyway THANKS!!!!!

Kerry78,

We have sailed Carnival numerous times and I always ask for more than 1 appetizer as does everyone in our party along with alot of people here on CC and I don't believe any of us have ever been told we could only have one. Please don't let this turn you off on Carnival, I think you just may have gotten the one rude waiter in the bunch. So yes it was unacceptable for him to say no IMO.

Thank you everyone! I was so embarrassed that night and so was my husband- seriously! When he asked this is basically what the waiter said, and I can almost quote but I wont in case I miss a word LOL He said- Oh no sir, you can only order 1 appetizer per person. We were so embarrassed, like I said, my husband just was like Oh im sorry, ok no problem. Inside I was saying "wow we never had this issue before HOW embarrassing".....

Now that I KNOW that its unacceptable I wont feel so bad next week and I will tell my husband to go ahead and ask for it! I mean jeesh, the guy just loves shrimp, and its only a few! LOL

Another issue we had with this waiter by the way is that we were "scolded" one night for coming in to dinner late. I was late because my son was giving me issue with getting there- as you know a 4 yr old can do. When we arrived the waiter told us that he "did not even know if he could GET US food b/c we were so late" (10 minutes) So I was like , well Im sorry we are late but we are hungry- is there anything we can do? and he was like I'll see if there is somethind I can do. Took our order and miraculously came out with the apps. I know we shouldnt have been late- and believe me we never were late again LOL! I just didnt care for this waiter at all, I wish I could remember his name. He wasnt very nice to us. I just assumed he didnt like us for some reason. I cant imagine why, we are very polite people.

Anyway THANKS!!!!!

EEEK.. sounds like a case of a bad waiter is all.

It does bring up a good question though.. assuming you are sitting at a table with people, what happens if you do show up later? It's proper to serve everyone at the same time, but if I'm finishing up my appetizers, and another couple walks in, what is the proper thing to do? I mean from the waiter's perspective..

EEEK.. sounds like a case of a bad waiter is all.

It does bring up a good question though.. assuming you are sitting at a table with people, what happens if you do show up later? It's proper to serve everyone at the same time, but if I'm finishing up my appetizers, and another couple walks in, what is the proper thing to do? I mean from the waiter's perspective..

Im really not sure, and I dont think we gave it thought b/c we are 6 people at a table, so it was all family. My husband and I and my son and my inlaws and brother in law. So we all went down together. So it was ALL of us who were the "offenders". I can accept that we were wrong- but he definately wasnt nice about it. This time we will be ON TIME! LOL!!!

Thanks guys, boy u made me feel alot better!!!

Maybe it was just Legend....or maybe we just had the same waiter on Legend. When I was on Legend in May, the guy acted like I was robbing from the starving children in Africa when I asked for a second piece of bread. The waiter gave me the impression that he really, really did not want to give it to me. I never asked for a second piece again.

I've never had any problem like that on any other ship I've been on.

I just didnt care for this waiter at all, I wish I could remember his name. He wasnt very nice to us. I just assumed he didnt like us for some reason. I cant imagine why, we are very polite people.

We had a fantastic cruise on the Legend BUT, our waiter was one of the worst. His name was Donovan and I swear we must have done something to make him angry. We just laughed about it because we knew he wasn't the norm and we had other options of places to eat if we decided to skip dinner in the dining room. Maybe you were cursed with this waiter? :D

Ms B

Boy, I've sailed on various lines (first time for Carnival this coming November) and have never experienced your situation. Since we always have a table for two, if possible and they were other tables available, I would ask the maitre'd to be seated in another section and tell him why. The waiter scolding you for being late - I don't think so. I wouldn't put up with that. This is your vacation and 10 minutes is far from THAT late. Sorry you didn't say something. Just because people work on a cruise ship doesn't mean they are all suited for it. If people don't complain when it's justified, standards will go down. I must say I've only met one in my travels who deserved to be reported and that WAS the maitre'd on the QM2, but that's another story.

If you were told "no" when asking for a second appetizer (or a second ANYTHING)...

what would u say to the waiter, if anything?

I think I would still be so dumbfounded- he might catch me off guard and I probably wouldnt say anything LOL until 1 yr later when I am thinking about it right? LMAO!

On one of the nights, my husband really wanted to have the shrimp cocktail in addition to another appetizer on the menu. Now this only happened on one occassion and I remember it being towards the middle of the week. Anyway, he was kind of put in his place by the waiter who said basically absolutely NOT. Now this was the first time we had sailed on carnival, we had previously only sailed on Norwegian, and had always had EXCELLENT customer service oriented type waiters. Basically my husband just apologized and said thats fine, that he would just take the shrimp.

Im asking seriously....

If you were in the speciality restaurant then yes, this is the policy...you cannot order double appetizers, entrees or dessert but you can order whatever sides you wish to your entree (ie if you're having a steak for instance and want creamed spinach, onion rings and a potato).

If you were in the speciality restaurant then yes, this is the policy...you cannot order double appetizers, entrees or dessert but you can order whatever sides you wish to your entree (ie if you're having a steak for instance and want creamed spinach, onion rings and a potato).

We were in the main dining room. On our last cruise we did not do the specialty one, but believe me this cruise we are!! LOL Ive been thinking about it all year! LOL (ill make sure to tell DH- no doubles here dear! LOL)

Thanks

On more than one Carnival Cruise I have had the waiters tell me it is O.K. to order as much as I like, and if I do not like something to send it back. Also no raised eyebrows at all when we did order two Entrees.

I would have asked him if I needed to talk to the Maitre'D about his attitude :eek:. But I would have done it in a freindly way with a smile. If it did not improve I would have gone to the M.D. Always try to fix the problem while on the ship. No sense writing letters afterwards. (at work I try to fix problems fast to keep people from writing letters.) So the opposite principle at work here.

Actually I have had better and more cheerful service on Carnival than on more expensive cruise lines...

Tom in Long Beach (fine dining waiter on the Queen Mary).

Im asking seriously....

Kerry, I hope he was kidding. By the middle of the week our waiter was teasing us so I hope that is the case for you but he should have brought it then.

I have never heard of this before. My friend ordered 2 or more appetizers on a few occasions. He also ordered seconds on lobster too. He is a big guy 6 feet 8 inches. Never a word said.

My husband and I have come to dinner late (10 to 15 minutes) and never had any problems from the wait staff. They have always been gracious and they just take your order when you get there. If the others have finished their appetizers and are on soup, when you get your app, they deal with it. They usually try to catch everyone up to the same schedule and we always try to eat a little faster, but otherwise no issues.

We did have one waiter that was an issue. After my husband finished his app, he decided he wanted another one. The waiter said he could not because the apps had been put away and they were starting on serving salads. After dinner my dh spoke to the maitre'd and he assured us it would not be a problem the rest of the week. But I did understand the waiter's reasoning. They have alot of orders to remember when watching 4 tables with a total of 32 people.

Anyway THANKS!!!!!

I would have spoken to the Maitre'D immediately.

Cathy

Archived