Is this unacceptable?

Kerry78

Thank you everyone! I was so embarrassed that night and so was my husband- seriously! When he asked this is basically what the waiter said, and I can almost quote but I wont in case I miss a word LOL He said- Oh no sir, you can only order 1 appetizer per person. We were so embarrassed, like I said, my husband just was like Oh im sorry, ok no problem. Inside I was saying "wow we never had this issue before HOW embarrassing".....

Now that I KNOW that its unacceptable I wont feel so bad next week and I will tell my husband to go ahead and ask for it! I mean jeesh, the guy just loves shrimp, and its only a few! LOL

Another issue we had with this waiter by the way is that we were "scolded" one night for coming in to dinner late. I was late because my son was giving me issue with getting there- as you know a 4 yr old can do. When we arrived the waiter told us that he "did not even know if he could GET US food b/c we were so late" (10 minutes) So I was like , well Im sorry we are late but we are hungry- is there anything we can do? and he was like I'll see if there is somethind I can do. Took our order and miraculously came out with the apps. I know we shouldnt have been late- and believe me we never were late again LOL! I just didnt care for this waiter at all, I wish I could remember his name. He wasnt very nice to us. I just assumed he didnt like us for some reason. I cant imagine why, we are very polite people.

Anyway THANKS!!!!!

Wow I hope this guys has a better attitude when I go in a few weeks. Or he will not be happy with me. I don't have a problem with tipping, but give me that kind of treatment and he can watch his tips go down. pluse I will complane to his bosses.

Thinking back to my cruise last September on the Legend, I had a question.

On one of the nights, my husband really wanted to have the shrimp cocktail in addition to another appetizer on the menu. Now this only happened on one occassion and I remember it being towards the middle of the week. Anyway, he was kind of put in his place by the waiter who said basically absolutely NOT. Now this was the first time we had sailed on carnival, we had previously only sailed on Norwegian, and had always had EXCELLENT customer service oriented type waiters. Basically my husband just apologized and said thats fine, that he would just take the shrimp.

Is that really unacceptable?

Im asking seriously....

If is was on the menu of course the wait person was out of line. Something similar happened to us on Celebrity a few years ago: DH asked for two entees, again he does this rarely. Well the waiter did make some snotty remark but brought them both. What he did was bring one and then 5 minutes later the other with a comment about anyone who needs 2 entrees could eat a little faster....bad, bad, bad.....

Nita

EEEK.. sounds like a case of a bad waiter is all.

It does bring up a good question though.. assuming you are sitting at a table with people, what happens if you do show up later? It's proper to serve everyone at the same time, but if I'm finishing up my appetizers, and another couple walks in, what is the proper thing to do? I mean from the waiter's perspective..

This happened to us last week. My husband & I were seated at a table with two other couples. They were about 15 min. late one night. We had already finished our appetizers when they arrived. The waiter took their orders and we got our entrees about the same time they got their appetizers. WE didn't have to wait on them, thankfully!!!

We always get whatever we want and as much of it as we want...period.

It has never been an issue. Of course, we are not wasteful...but if we want 2 appetizers and 2 entrees...that's what we get!!

We have never had a waiter say anything about it. Sounds like a bad apple that needs to be peeled!!

On one of the nights, my husband really wanted to have the shrimp cocktail in addition to another appetizer on the menu. Now this only happened on one occassion and I remember it being towards the middle of the week. Anyway, he was kind of put in his place by the waiter who said basically absolutely NOT. Now this was the first time we had sailed on carnival, we had previously only sailed on Norwegian, and had always had EXCELLENT customer service oriented type waiters. Basically my husband just apologized and said thats fine, that he would just take the shrimp.

Im asking seriously....

I find this hard to believe. 61 cruises on Carnival and have never been denied anything in the dining room.....and ALWAYS order 2 escargot when they are on the menu and 2 sherberts for dessert. I cruise 2/3 times a year and have never seen this.

More to the story?

I find this hard to believe. 61 cruises on Carnival and have never been denied anything in the dining room.....and ALWAYS order 2 escargot when they are on the menu and 2 sherberts for dessert. I cruise 2/3 times a year and have never seen this.

More to the story?

There has to be, the OP said something less than positive about her Carnival experience. :rolleyes:

As you can see by the majority here, he was WRONG! You can order anything you want. Order 2 entrees, 4 desserts whatever your heart desires.

As for being late, he was also rude there too & he should have been reported to the MaitreD. Our tables mates were continually late to dinner. They were served their appetizers about the time we were getting our desserts. That was rude of them but the waiters never said a word to them. Just business as usual. We never had to wait on them either. For others tuning in, it is wise to be on time so it doesn't disrupt the flow of the service but an occasion tardiness should only deserve an I'm sooo sorry it won't happen again and be on with dinner. JMO

I suppose the way I would handled it would be to approach the Maitre'D and ask for a new table that did not include that Waiter. I would rather have a new table than to deal with the waiter the rest of the week after squeeling on him. If he was rude to begin with, then it would only go down-hill from there.

Im asking seriously....

We have never had this happen. In fact on lobster night our waiter had a second plate waiting for my husband - we didn't ask for it.

Have ordered two app.s a couple of times - no problem.

Don't hesitate to order what you want.

Im asking seriously....

That would be something worth a letter to customer relations:(

oh yeah

especially if you remembered your waiters name ...

I am sure that you would recieve a response on that one

Possible 45 day letter ... dont you think?

Good Luck

I have always gotten more than I wanted.. The waiter on one of our Holiday cruises asked me if I liked Shrimp cocktails and I said yes. After that I was getting 2 to 3 of them every night. After I would finish one he had another waiting on me and that was on top of my other appetizer I had ordered.

More to the story?

I find it hard to believe that the OP would come on here and make up a

story like this just to post. We have never been denied any of our

requests in the dining room either but we do realize it can happen and

find no reason to question the OP.

Sorry about the meanie waiter OP! As has been pointed out here numerous times, just talk with the MD and he should take care of it. I also concur with the other folks who said they would also ask for a new table at the same time. Who wants a cranky waiter who's been disciplined by the MD for the rest of the week?

We just had the best waiter EVER (hi Nadel!) on the Holiday last week who was a real gem! On formal night (sorry, cruise elegant night :rolleyes: ), one of our table mates asked for an extra shrimp cocktail. Nadel had one there in less than 2 minutes. So one of our other table mates jokingly asks 'you got any more lobster back there?' Nadel had another lobster tail in front of him in less than a minute. Not even kidding on the time. You should have seen his face when he saw the plate! :D

Can say CCL is so accommodating that each night at dnner the asst. maitre'd would come over and take my DW's order for the next night so they could prepare it with no eggs. She is deathly allergic to eggs. One night they sent her the dinner to our room as she was sick, and the chef himself called to be sure it was not any of the food and be sure she is OK.(ironically it turned out to be the DOD as they use a powder sour mix that has egg almond extract in small amounts). We go again and again as all the service is like that, unlike anything I have ever done before. :)

More to the story?

Ok, well there is no more to tell. Thats what happened and it basically put us in our place and my husband never asked again. It didnt make me not want to go on carnival anymore- look we booked again! I love the ship, I loved the whole cruise! I just had that issue with THAT person. It took me forever to come on here and ask that question (b/c I read everyday). I was afraid we really WERE out of line to ask. Now I know we weren't! I was actually so excited when DH got home from work to tell him that! I was like remember when.... well I said we dont have to worry next time, people do it all the time! I cant wait for shrimp! We were laughing.

I never had it happen before this either, but I had previously sailed Norwegian. I did not know if it was a Carnival policy or what, thats why I asked.

I mean some would say 61 cruises is hard to believe.... but im sure its true.

Im asking seriously....

I did not have that problem...I ordered 2 starters, and 2 entrees one night,

hope you did not tip him extra

Im asking seriously....

My husband always orders two and three of whatever he wants. We have never been told no. I think you had a server who was just being rude.

we haev ordered multiples on every trip, almost every night and never been questioned. On the Triumph last year, I order 4 Gran Marnier Souffles. They brought me one, and the others were packaged to go back to my room. I wait the whole cruise for that and would have caused a scene if they dared to deny me...

we haev ordered multiples on every trip, almost every night and never been questioned. On the Triumph last year, I order 4 Gran Marnier Souffles. They brought me one, and the others were packaged to go back to my room. I wait the whole cruise for that and would have caused a scene if they dared to deny me...

LOL! That's what I would've done, had they denied me the chocolate melting cake. A few nights I'd order two, and then finish off my DH's and DD's!:p

That waiter was just imposing his personal opinion on you not Carnival's. Of course you could have had whatever you wanted. The waiter either didn't want to get it for you....Didn't think you needed it....or was making up his own rules.

If you had brought it to the maitre d's attention it would have been taken care of and the waiter would have been spoken to.

I really do hate to get them in trouble though. But I would have gotten what I wanted to order.

Archived