Booster seat for 7 yo?

summercruisin'

Okay, I already asked the carseat questions for my soon-to-be 18 month old. Now, do I need to tote the booster seat for my 7 year old? In our state, he has to be in one. He is tall, but skinny (and light-weight). Every once in a while, if in a real "pinch" we just buckle him in, and the seatbelt seems to fit across his chest okay (not across his neck). Anyway, I don't know about the laws in Florida for transport from the airport (it will be by shuttle), and of course, I want to keep him safe!

Okay' date=' I already asked the carseat questions for my soon-to-be 18 month old. Now, do I need to tote the booster seat for my 7 year old? In our state, he has to be in one. He is tall, but skinny (and light-weight). Every once in a while, if in a real "pinch" we just buckle him in, and the seatbelt seems to fit across his chest okay (not across his neck). Anyway, I don't know about the laws in Florida for transport from the airport (it will be by shuttle), and of course, I want to keep him safe![/quote']

I believe better safe than sorry. We have the Graco booster, which is just the bottom part of the seat and not to difficult to take with you.

We will be bringing it for our 7 year old on October. They are about $30 at walmart or toysrus.

I would take (at least) a backless booster for him. Boosters not only position the shoulder belt correctly, but they also position the lap portion of the seat belt low across the hips, so that it won't cause internal damage in an accident. It sort of acts as artificial hips. Here is the five step booster test for seat belt readiness:

The 5 Step Test

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, your child must be in a booster seat:

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?

4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

BELT-POSITIONING BOOSTERS CAN NOT be used with only a lap belt!

(See your car dealer for a lap/shoulder belt retrofit.)

copied from this site, which has even more info on this subject.

hth!:)

I'm so glad I checked this post. In my excitement over planning our trip, it did not occur to me that I needed a booster seat for the shuttle from airport to sea port. My daughter will be 8 at cruise time, and is very small for her age. We will be traveling from Fort Laud. to Port of Miami, so it's at least a 30 minute highway drive.

What info do you have about airlines not charging for transporting these seats? Do you take them on as a carry-on....or check them???...should they be bagged, or in a suitcase??

Also...do you have any idea if shuttle services have some on hand? If they do, that would be easier than transporting it on the plane.

I personally prefer to gate check, they are loaded by real humans instead of having to navigate the automated baggage sorting machinery. Not that they can't still be damaged in the luggage hold but I think your chances are better. I think if you wrap them in a clear plastic garbage bag, that will protect the seat or booster somewhat while letting the airline know that it IS actually a safety seat in the bag - does that make sense - since they charge extra for other items?

Florida has one of the weakest child restrait laws in the country but the real issue is keeping your children safe. My theory is to buckle them up each and every time we get into a moving vehicle as if their lives depended on it. The #1 cause of chilhood fatalities are moving vehicle accidents and a little prevention goes a long way.

I agree at the very least take a low back booster. High back boosters are much safer but a low back booster is better than nothing. If you look around, you can often find them on sale closer to $20.

I think I'm going to buy one of these:

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

It was suggested by someone on this site - thank you whoever you are!

Archived