Nagaski

MarcyLondon

Docking there on Diamond Princess and was about to book the tour to the Shimabara Peninsula but noticed it's a two hour coach ride each way. If anyone had previously taken this tour is it really worth the long journey or should we just do our own thing in the city itself?

Marcy

The Princess rep I spoke with today said I was the only one who called to voice my disappointment about this port being cancelled.

Am I really the only one who is upset with this change?

It seems to me that they could have gone to a different Japanese port rather than skipping the country completely. One of the main reasons we booked this cruise was for the itinerary that included Japan.

well, I highly doubt you were the only one...I was on the phone to Princess several times while they messed around with the itinerary. We've still got Okinawa, but I would have preferred to skip that port and keep Nagasaki. However, I'm glad for the overnight in Hong Kong. I still don't completely understand their explanation for not going to Nagasaki, but I'm glad we seem to finally have an itinerary that stays the same for several days in a row!

The Princess rep I spoke with today said I was the only one who called to voice my disappointment about this port being cancelled.

Am I really the only one who is upset with this change?

It seems to me that they could have gone to a different Japanese port rather than skipping the country completely. One of the main reasons we booked this cruise was for the itinerary that included Japan.

That may be because many people don't know about the change. Unless you happen to look at your cruise personalizer or are on cruise critic you probably don't have a clue. We are leaving on Fri for the first cruise affected by this change..my guess is we will have quite a few upset passengers after they find out about this on the ship.

:) Hi Luxury,

We are on the same cruise and UK based and like you we haven't had any notification of the change yet either via our TA or on the personalizer page. However even though we are disappointed after over 12 mnths of waiting for this I'm determined that it won't spoil the hols..:) :) :)

After reading Cruise Critic board re Diamond Princess not calling into Nagasaki - this is confirmed on the Princess website on the itinery details for all Asia Diamond Princess cruises in 2008 and early 2009 (to end April) The Hong Kong call is from 0800 to 1800 next day. Great we found out in time to change our Chinese Multiple Visa application form.

We are going on this cruise next March and our TA phoned yesterday to advise us of this change, Does anyone know the reason behind this change. You mention your need to change your Chinese visa to multiple entry. Why is this.

Do we need multiple (or dual) entry Visas to visit Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My cousin and I went to Nagasaki for a day last year on Holland America's Statendam and LOVED IT! See our photos and story on my travel blog:

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/02/nagasaki-temples-new-and-old.html

Or go to happyalaskan.blogspot.com to seach for other destinations we've discovered.

Happy Travels!

Archived