Xpedition - Starboard or Portside cabins?

journeysseattle

The side does not really make any difference since the ship moves around so much, and when it anchors the ship tends to swing with the tidal current.

My advice is to get a room as far back in the boat since the noise when they drop the anchor will serve as your alarm clock, and the more front you are, the noisier it will be. On our cruise they usually dropped anchor around 6 AM.

The side does not really make any difference since the ship moves around so much, and when it anchors the ship tends to swing with the tidal current.

My advice is to get a room as far back in the boat since the noise when they drop the anchor will serve as your alarm clock, and the more front you are, the noisier it will be. On our cruise they usually dropped anchor around 6 AM.

I requested 402 - it's a charter on the Xpedition in 11/09... can't get any farther back on the Vista deck. Did you find the snorkeling equipment/wetsuits ok on board? I see you are repeating your trip next year. Did you do any exploring of the natational parks outside of Quito last time?

There is a good selection of snorkeling equipment on board, so you should not have any problems.

We went to Peru (Lima, Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu) the last time we went 3 years ago. This time about 10 of my group will be doing the same itinerary, but they will do Peru first, as opposed to the post-cruise tour we took last time.

Celebrity offers a Machu Picchu package on its 13 day Xpedition package, but it is very pricey ($3580 per person) and does not spend the night at the Sanctuary Lodge, the only hotel at the park.

I requested 402 - it's a charter on the Xpedition in 11/09... can't get any farther back on the Vista deck. Did you find the snorkeling equipment/wetsuits ok on board? I see you are repeating your trip next year. Did you do any exploring of the natational parks outside of Quito last time?

I've stayed in 404 and 302 and booked 304 for next July.Third deck is near restaurant,4th is near lounge. One flight of stairs takes you to either. Rooms virtually identical. I would go for the less expensive.You'll spend less time in your cabin than on any other cruise and while I always get a veranda ,there is no need to here.Top deck has lots of deck space and hot tubs,but ship is so small you are never far from anything.

Lower cabin numbers are closer to the action and farther from the anchor but even that is not much of a problem.

The only complaint re location I ever heard was from friend whose cabin was near the captain's who was a smoker and left his door open.

My best advice is 1) to read as much of the thread-Xpedition anyone recently back- as possible 2)don't sweat the small stuff-this crew and the location will take care of everything,3)take about half the clothing you think you'll need 4) although you'll want to and will take hundreds of pictures ,don't be obsessive about it. Make sure you take the time to soak in the Galapagos with your eyes.

I've stayed in 404 and 302 and booked 304 for next July.Third deck is near restaurant,4th is near lounge. One flight of stairs takes you to either. Rooms virtually identical. I would go for the less expensive.You'll spend less time in your cabin than on any other cruise and while I always get a veranda ,there is no need to here.Top deck has lots of deck space and hot tubs,but ship is so small you are never far from anything.

Lower cabin numbers are closer to the action and farther from the anchor but even that is not much of a problem.

The only complaint re location I ever heard was from friend whose cabin was near the captain's who was a smoker and left his door open.

My best advice is 1) to read as much of the thread-Xpedition anyone recently back- as possible 2)don't sweat the small stuff-this crew and the location will take care of everything,3)take about half the clothing you think you'll need 4) although you'll want to and will take hundreds of pictures ,don't be obsessive about it. Make sure you take the time to soak in the Galapagos with your eyes.

All excellent advice! Could not agree more.

Lower cabin numbers are closer to the action and farther from the anchor but even that is not much of a problem. ]

I took your advice and booked 302 as 304 was not available. Looking at the deck plans though 302 looks smaller as if something is cut out of it. Is that an illusion? Is it the same size as 304 annd the others? I can also try booking 306 or 308... TA was getting ready for hurricane in Houston and I'll be talking to him Monday.

Thanks for saving us $800.00!!

We had 301 and really liked the location. I would stay with 302 as opposed to going further forward ... you'll only be in the cabin long enough to sleep, shower and change your clothes, so even if it is slightly smaller than the other cabins on deck 3, the location will offset any disadvantage of the smaller size. Also, being next to the shop will be quiet at night and I don't think the shops open very early in the morning or late in the evenings. Enjoy!

Lower cabin numbers are closer to the action and farther from the anchor but even that is not much of a problem. ]

I took your advice and booked 302 as 304 was not available. Looking at the deck plans though 302 looks smaller as if something is cut out of it. Is that an illusion? Is it the same size as 304 annd the others? I can also try booking 306 or 308... TA was getting ready for hurricane in Houston and I'll be talking to him Monday.

Thanks for saving us $800.00!!

Agree with Susan--being next to shop is fine---I didn't notice any difference in size of rooms. Of course they are smaller than most cruise ships but all of this will be overshadowed by the incredible experience.As has been said,little time is spent in the cabin on this trip as the public areas are so close, and the fellow passengers so great,you want to spend time sharing your thoughts and impressions with your new buddies ---truly a feel of summer camp for adults without the home sickness.

Great to have the input. 303-304-306 on the deck plans have asterisks; Celebrity tells me that means they sleep 3, so you may find a difference when you are in 304 next trip.

We are now investigating independent trips to some of the national preserves outside Quito. Some have micro-climates created by ancient craters trapping the weather; filled with hummingbirds, butterflies and orchids depending on the park. Will share the results of the search if you are planing to explore more of Equador.

Great to have the input. 303-304-306 on the deck plans have asterisks; Celebrity tells me that means they sleep 3, so you may find a difference when you are in 304 next trip.

We are now investigating independent trips to some of the national preserves outside Quito. Some have micro-climates created by ancient craters trapping the weather; filled with hummingbirds, butterflies and orchids depending on the park. Will share the results of the search if you are planing to explore more of Equador.

The three person cabins are identical.The 3rd bed comes out of the ceiling perpendicular to the floor beds .

Having done the city tour twice, which we really enjoyed,we will now tour on our own to the Bellavista Cloud Forest.

Having done the city tour twice, which we really enjoyed,we will now tour on our own to the Bellavista Cloud Forest.

We went following our Xpedition cruise and really enjoyed it. We arranged for a driver from the Marriott ... it was reasonably priced and the driver (Julio) was great!

Archived