Carnival Elation Cancelled Cruise Question

geospyder

For those of you booked on the Elation for the five day cruise that included Cabo San Lucas and have had their cruise cancelled - did you rebook on another Carnival cruise? If so, what did Carnival offer, if anything, for you to rebook?

When you called, what did they say when you asked your compensation question?

I didn't ask at that time. I just wanted to verify that the cruise was no longer a valid cruise. I didn't want to cancel and rebook anything without checking with the kids first. They are still working and I'll have to coordinate any changes so they can modify their vacation requests.

Did they cancel the entire cruise or is it just removing Cabo San Lucas from the itinerary. There was an announcement about that a while back.

They are changing the 4 and 5 night cruise to Ensenada and Cabo to a 3 and 4 night cruise to Ensenada and Catalina. The same itinerary as the Paradise out of Long Beach......

Guess "cancelled" may have been the wrong term. The Elation is still departing San Diego but with a different length (4 day vs 5 day), different ports (Cabo removed, Catalina added), and different dates (19-23 versus 20-25). Might say the cruise was "highly modified" :D

I'm just not a happy camper at the moment but hey it's a year away. I'll come up with something else. The kids and grandkids will still get their cruise - just not this one.

I know I wasn't a happy camper. I booked Feb 21st 5day and was notified about it several weeks ago from my TA. Catalina Island wasn't an option for me. This cruise was to take my kids on their first cruise and I wanted them to swim with the dolphins like I did in Cabo. In order to go to Cabo in February, I had a choice of doing a 7 day on NCL Star or 7 day on CCL Pride. I was really angry with CCL for making the change and initially refused to deal with them. They only offered me a $50 per cabin credit if I rebooked by Sept 5th. Mighty gracious of them isn't it! I had 2 cabins on Elation (1 ov & 1 inside across the hall) and to get 2 similar cabins on the Pride would have cost at least an extra $1K for the 4 of us. NCL Star would have been $800 more for 2 inside cabins. We couldn't afford it & still have money to swim with dolphins or onboard expenses so we cancelled.

We decided to look into booking a quad. A quad room on NCL would have been $200 total more which was do-able but it was wall-to-wall beds cuz the cabin is so much smaller than Carnival. I saw the picture of a quad on Carnival & decided to suck up my pride and rebook a quad on the Pride for $500 more.

Believe me, I'm not happy about this and Carnival has received a letter from me detailing my dissatisfaction. I broke my kids hearts when I said Carnival cancelled their cruise and we couldn't afford the alternative. I think it is wrong what Carnival did. Especially since my cruise was paid for in full last May 2nd. To rebook, I had to pay the higher fuel surcharge too. GRRRR!

The rest of the story...

I talked to two different PVPs today. Since I had booked online myself, neither could help me. They are not allowed to touch an online reservation. As far as rebooking, neither offered anything since the cruise was "too far out". At least they were consistent. They did connect me to someone would could cancel my booking - which I did.

I called back the friendlier of the two PVPs and booked the seven day cruise on the Splendor out of Long Beach July 19th. He was able to talk to his supervisor and transfer over the payment from my cancelled cruise. That helped. Plus, he told me about the military discount which is nowhere on their site. That saved me $772 between two of the three cabins I booked. Unfortunately my second son-in-law doesn't qualify. I do like the itinerary better for the seven day cruise so I'm a happy camper again.

BTW - I found out why I wasn't notified - my profile didn't have an email address (my bad).

Yukon111-that is unbelieveable that they would charge you the increased fuel charge on a new booking because they changed you itinerary. Especially now that fuel charges have dipped a bit, notice they are not lowering their prices.

You have every right to be angry and I feel bad for your kids. I hope that you have a wonderful time on the Pride.

I sent Carnival a letter on the Platinum stationary they give me telling them that I will never sail the Elation as long as Catalina is on the schedule. I put it in the Platinum envelope hoping it would attract attention.

For those of you booked on the Elation for the five day cruise that included Cabo San Lucas and have had their cruise cancelled - did you rebook on another Carnival cruise? If so, what did Carnival offer, if anything, for you to rebook?

I was scheduled to cruise on the 5/11/09 5 day cruise. They offered me a $25 shipboard credit if I re-booked another by 9/8/08.

Partially because of Hurricane Gustav and not having electricity for most of last week and partially due to working overtime after the hurricane, I did not re-book another cruise. I had the money transferred to my next two cruises and they are now fully paid!

Changing the itinerary from Cabo and Ensenada to Catalina and Ensenada is like going from Nordstroms to the 99 cent store. Half the time they can't get the tenders into Catalina so you would end up sailing to Catalina, turning around and coming into San Diego for a day and then spending a worthless day in Ensenada. (this happened to us on another ship a few years back) Carnival has shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned. There are so many So. Ca. residents that wanted to take repeated trips on the Elation but like myself will defer from that ever happening. If I had a couple more days I would consider the Spirit. But what Carnival is offering is such a horrid tradeoff that it will be worth it to drive the 2 hours to Long Beach to take another cruise line to Cabo.

Shame on Carnival. I just wonder how long it will take them to realize their mistake and go back to the Elation's Cabo ports?

ya and us that live in so cal know about the calalina express for 40 round trip and can go any time we want and spend as long as we want i live in LA and took the SD crusie because i didnt want to pay carnival about 150 for a 4 trip to catalina.

and carnival said this move was for us the so cal residents what a joke but i on the ship in 24 hrs so i guess i booked in time

Darlipoo,

The Radiance of the Seas will be going out of San Diego for the 4 & 5 day cruises, as I have my eye on that one. However I don't think it will be here until fall of 2009. I did some research and found a 5 day for September 25, 2009. I'm not sure of the exact date she gets into town, but she's coming.

Archived