Summit in January itinerary change or mistake?

JRarey

We are booked on the January 31st sailing of the Summit. Booked it many months ago.

Last night I got on the Celebrity web sight to check prices for a possible drop and found a different itinerary than we thought we had originally booked. We thought we were going to go to Aruba and Bonaire, but Celebrity lists Tobago and Barbados instead.

I checked other travel sights and it has us going to Bonaire and Aruba that week.

I was wondering if other Summit travelers in January or February are seeing a different itinerary than what they thought they had or is this a glitch in the Celebrity web sight?

Thanks for your responses!

Jan

It was my understanding the change was an attempt to save fuel (shorter intinerary and ship will travel slower). I'm somewhat disappointed but diving may also be good in Tobago. I've just started to explore it.

ps The Summit was the only cruise ship scheduled to be in the port of Bonaire on 1/21/09. Is this another piece of misinformation by X customer service?

Dabear: First the rep had said fuel consevation but then came back on line w/ the port congestion reason. Maybe passangers are getting irate w/ them using the fuel cost excuse and the reps were told to change the story? Either way, it does not matter as "I/We" can't change the itin back! Hope to still dive w/ you in some port along the way!

I am HUGELY disappointed in this change in itinerary! One of the main reasons we booked this cruise was for the stop in Bonaire, and the day in Aruba! I can understand last minute port changes due to weather, but this just doesn't seem fair. Hope I can get back the jeep rental payment I just sent for our day in Aruba! :-(

I just read an article last week ,I think it was in the Wall Street Journal or IBD, that a lot of cruise lines are now reconstructing itineraries due to fuel costs. But I assumed it was for cruises not for sale yet. This is disheartening for people who really are looking at certain ports.

The cruiselines need to be prepared for some cancelations. Which of course in the long run, will cause some discounts for others if they need to fill those ships. Be on the lookout. :)

We are on the Summit on January 10th. It still shows the original itinerary on Celebrity.com for that date.

Hi sportsmum, come on over and join our roll call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=707162

I called Celebrity and was told there was no change for our sailing :rolleyes:

Lets hope they're right. Really want to see Bonaire.

Ernie

Sportsmum, I checked all the January sailings - they're definitely doing alternating itineraries, and we've got Bonaire and Aruba. Serenade of the Seas had previously done the same itinerary every week she was in the Caribbean, and they've instituted alternating itineraries for her, too (both different from her original itinerary).

Yes...our itinerary changed too! Last week I was pleased with the price drop....but I AM NOT HAPPY with the itinerary change!:mad:

Had a private tour booked in Bonaire and plans for Aruba.

I really don't understand how they can add a fuel surcharge and then change the itinerary after we book due to "fuel savings". In that case, they can rebate my fuel surcharge! "Double dipping" is not nice, whether you are a potato chip in dip or a huge cruise line!:eek:

IALobster129

We are booked on the Summit leaving San Juan on 3/7/2009 and we received an email today from the TA telling us that our itinerary had changed. I like Barbados but know nothing about Tobago. I'll have to do new research now. My husband has an ear problem so can't snorkel or dive. I hadn't figured out what we were going to do in Bonaire.

I'm still looking forward to the cruise.

We are booked on the jan. 17th sailing and that itinerary changed also. I am one that is not that disappointed (although I was looking forward to Bonaire and the diving). I am not a huge Aruba fan and Tobago sounds similar to Bonaire. I do know that sailing is great in Tobago - may need to find a sailboat there! I'm guessing it is the fuel like is said in the other posts. Guess we have to look at the bright sides (although oil prices are done again - too bad we don't get any of the benefits).

Archived