Tell me your experience with large groups?

cruizinwithkids

My husband may be taking my son and three of his college friends on a spring break cruise on the Gem out of NY. I just found out that it has a New York Giants fan group and even players on the same cruise.

The ship seems to have plenty of availability right now, but I would have to think this group would be pretty big due to the Giant's success and loyal fan base.

So my question is how much does a large group like this take over the ship? The boys aren't really drinkers and I don't see them going to shows, but what about activities such as Wii, bowling, and rock climbing? Basically I'm concerned that the type of activities that have attracted them to this ship will not be available for them to use.

Can anyone share their experiences with me? Thanks.

We were actually looking at that cruise when we realized there was a Giants group on board -- and the following week's cruise is another group -- mothers of twins or something like that. I'd be curious to know the answer to your question as well, but I'd say "the boys" will have a great time. Not sure what we're going to do now...:cool:

A few years ago we did the Caarnival Valor on a CC group the Valor Vampires and found out we were sharing the ship with a very large group who cruise annually celebrating Panamanian Independence Day. It was horrible. :mad: This particular group was very rude, took over EVERYTHING, cut in EVERY line, and then gave us dirty looks for even being in line!

Last year we were on the Legend with a large group (2000) of Parrotheads. They were fine and actually added to the fun atmosphere since they had their own band traveling with them. No matter where you went on the ship there was "Cheeseburger in Paradise" as the theme song! You will find that large groups tend to congregate together and it appears like they are "taking over" particular areas. Sometimes a venue will be "off limits" to other cruisers because it has been reserved for that group also.

Now, you may find the Giants group to be wonderful, fun loving people that you would enjoy sharing the ship with, but I am personally a little "put off" a large group like that. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Unless they are baseball fans Id pick another cruise.

If the boys are partyers then they will most likely have a good time . If not they may be put off. My experience has been , that large groups tend to get a little more carried away . Its the mob mentality of belonging to a large group where rules stop being applied .

Although I dont think the bowling , rock climbing ect.

will be impacted more than any other time.

mpk

How do you find out if there is a large group on a cruise you are considering?

Thanks!

I happened to have found this one on the roll call. I have had some MINIMAL luck with google putting in the ship name and date. I had found a singles group on our Pride of Aloha cruise, but never saw a trace of them on the cruise.

Archived