12 Night Eastern Mediterranean:RCCL vs. NCL

I am trying to decide between two very similar cruises for Nov. 2009. One on the Brilliance of the Seas and the other on the Norwegian Jade. The price and the itinerary are basically the same. I have been on several RCCL cruises, but I have never cruised on NCL.

I now one difference is the free style dining on NCL. Are there any other big differences?

Thanks,

Hi Rosie,

We have cruised RCCL many times and NCL twice. I enjoy both. For the Med I would not be so worried about the ship as it is so port intensive. We are going to the Med on RCCL in Oct. and I do wish they had freestyle dining. I don't like the fact that if we are too tired or late for the dining room we are relegated to the Windjammer.

Yes, you still have to make reservations on NCL for the specialty restaurants but I found that I was up by 7 a.m. anyway and would just phone and ask for a time for that evening. Always got what I wanted. Plus if we wanted to go to the dining room we just picked the one that was least crowded and always managed to get a table. Also, on formal nights one dining room is designated for those who wish to dress up and the other is for those who don't (still no shorts etc.) and it has the same menu. For the Med I think this is a plus as who wants to lug formal wear overseas! Not me! Especially for 3 formal nights!

I would pick whichever one peaks your interest and has the best ports for you. You will have a great vacation whichever you choose.

Trish

My husband and I narrowed our choices down to the same exact two cruises for February. Ultimately, we chose NCL...

We decided that the ports of call were (as usual) the most important aspect for us. On that note, we wanted 2 days in Egypt.

I am extremely skeptial of NCL (with their reputation). However, we are going into it expecting only a "fair" cruise...fair food, fair cabins, fair ship, etc...so, hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised. We are young, but very much enjoy "traditional" cruising...so NCL will definitely be a change for us. Our cruise isn't until February, but I will definitely write a review.

Good luck deciding! I know how hard it was!! :)

When I want to 'cruise', you will find me on RCCL.

When I want to travel cheap, you will find me on NCL.

I like the ship, service and food much more on RCCL. However many times NCL offers some great deals to some cool places. NCL is my water taxi.

There is one thing I must add, NCL does appear to be improving. Not up to RCCL standards, but going the right direction.

Archived