To Wear a Veil or Not to Wear Veil

When you envision DH and yourself at the altar, do you see a veil on your head? How about when you envision your wedding photo's? Veil or no veil?

Perhaps a veil isn't right for you but some babies breath or a strategically placed flower is?

Personally, I knew I wanted a veil and I knew I wanted it up, on my head, as opposed to under a bun on the back of my head.

If you are on the fence, google wedding hair styles to check out the different ways brides do their hair for their big day. There are a lot of modern brides that don't do veils, or anything, in their hair. So don't feel obligated.

Good luck!

Im undecided as to wear a veil or not. I feel that I should becuase I all brides usually do but then I am thinking it is a beach weeding and I could probably get away with out wearing. Im just wondering what everyone else is or thinking about doing...... Help!!!!! I cant decide.

Hi - Congrats!

My daughter is getting married the week of Christmas in Costa Rica - a destination wedding so we've been doing similar research about your question. She gave us a tight timeline - just 3 months -YIKES!:eek: (not to blame her though she had to schedue this around her Master PA program & her fiance's med school schedule).

I stumbled upon a ton of images/ slide shows and videos of costa rican weddings on the beach by doing a YouTube search for wedding cota rica.

On the videos - I've seen both - depends on your personal preferences - sometimes having the long veil did make a difference between the look & feel of beach casual v. sophistictaed elegant casual if you get my drift.

It also seemed the level of elegance/formality for the bridal gown also dircted to have veil v. not have veil.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes on your marriage!

leah, RN:)

Thanks for the input. I guess I will toss it around a little more. I kinda want to wear one but at the same time it just something to transport. Maybe I will just do a small headpeice and a short veil. I guess I will have to see what I can find in the up comming months. Thanks again and good luck with all of ur plans!!!!!!

This thread has been helpful to me, because I am struggling with the same question.

I DO NOT want to wear a veil- I'd rather have flowers in my hair. However, my mom and grandmother (and practically every other lady i know) insists that I wear one.

I have a very fancy dress, but am getting married on the top deck (hopefully) and know it will be windy- and my wedding vision never included a veil...

My wonderful mom is paying for everything and she really wants the veil. (She never had a wedding like this, and now she can afford to pay for one)

She also wants me to wear fancy shoes- and I want to wear comfortable shoes. The dress is so long you can't see the shoes even when I am walking... I seriously want to be comfortable.

We haven't had the big confrontation yet- That will happen in the next month.

Any suggestions? Should I just wear the veil to please them? They've found pretty ones, however, I think for me personally it's a waste of money.

Thoughts? Thanks!

The reason I wore a veil was for the pictures. I love some veil shots that photographers get.

My brother took one that I liked: http://family.webshots.com/photo/2169835200038019474UCLlRf - this was right before it got ripped from my head by the wind, luckily DH caught it and it survived haha.

My veil cost almost as much as my dress, I think they are ridiculously overpriced.

I am also struggling with this question. I really don't think I want to wear one, and my mom is okay with whatever decision I choose to make. However, I don't want to look back and be upset that I didn't. It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one debating over the veil issue.

The reason I wore a veil was for the pictures. I love some veil shots that photographers get.

My brother took one that I liked: http://family.webshots.com/photo/2169835200038019474UCLlRf - this was right before it got ripped from my head by the wind, luckily DH caught it and it survived haha.

My veil cost almost as much as my dress, I think they are ridiculously overpriced.

I liked my "blowing in the wind" veil pictures too....

I wore one and didn't regret it at all. Yes, it blew around a bit (ok, a lot! ;)) but we thought it was funny. My coordinator darted around us during the cermony and tucked it into my cap sleeve a bit so that it would stay out of my face. She had to rescue my husband, who tried and failed. :) The veil also made some good photos.

If you're on the fence, I would suggest buying one. If you decide not to wear it, you take it off and problem solved. If you decide "Oh..I DO want one", you're SOL if you don't have one with you. Just make sure you have a hairdo that would be practical with removing the veil.

I'm going through the same dilemma. I'm strongly leaning towards no veil and a large flower in my hair instead. I know it's supposed to make me feel like a "bride" but whenever I put one on I only think it looks like mosquito netting! I like the idea of getting a simple one and making the decision at the last minute. We'll see!

Well I am glad to see that Im not the only one struggling with this question. I guess I am probably going to with wearing a veil. I just dont want to regret not wearing one down the road. It seems like most of you have worn one and have not regreted. I think I am going to look into something short and simple and probably one layer since the actual wedding is on the beach. But I'm always up for more suggestions. Good Luck everyone with their decisions.

I am wearing going to wear a veil. I don't know, but for me, the veil makes me feel like a bride. I have to say that some of my favorite pictures that I have seen of beach weddings, had a veil blowing slightly in the wind. Just remember, you can always take it off! There is no rule that says you have to keep it on.:D

Barbie

I had the same issue being a first time bride at age 50~!~

I did choose the veil at my husbands urging. I thought I would remove it for the reception, but i did not and it looked good and not silly like I thought it would.

I bought it at veilshop.com where I build my own on their website for about 1/3 the cost of a bridal shop. I took it to my final gown fitting and the shop pressed it along with the gown.

• 2 weeks later...

I was definitely sure that I did not want a veil...that was...until after my dress came in (6 months after I ordered it)!!

We were getting married in St. Lucia and I thought that I would FOR SURE want flowers in my hair. However, I did change my mind for a few reasons:

-I knew that my husband and I would have to travel to the lawyer's office the morning of (in St. Lucia) and then go back to the ship to get ready...and I was not sure how long I would have. (And good thing that I was prepared to hurry - I had less than 30 minutes to do my hair, makeup, and get into my gown!!!)

-I am very simple...I did not want to have my hair "done"...I wanted to curl it myself and pull it back and go. I thought that a veil would be the perfect thing for the sake of simplicity...to help hide any imperfections. Also, if my hair got messed up from wind, humidity, etc...I could just pull it back up and put my veil back in without any kind of a problem.

-It is the only day in my whole life that I would get to wear one...and it really did make me feel even more like a bride.

I am not trying to sway your decision...just letting you know what my thoughts were. I never thought about any of that at first.

Also, the ladies at my dress shop said that only about 50% of brides wear veils today...

Good luck and congrats!! :D

We didn't have a destination wedding, but I had a short veil. It stopped just below my bra line. My veil orginially was attached to a tiara. I had the veil removed from the tiara and put on a comb. I then had the choice to take it off after we left the church. I did take it out, everyone was hugging me and kept pulling on it, they didn't realize they were pulling on it. I agree veils are very expensive and to have them altered, like I did, that just adds to the cost. Congrats!!!

Henepup

Archived