Should I Book Directly through Carnival?

Chelly

I am fairly new to these boards and the information here is invaluable. I am about to book my first Carnival cruise and wonder what the advantages would be to book directly through Carnival. How do experienced cruisers book? Thanks for your input and could you also tell me what PVP means?

We just booked our first Carnival cruise yesterday directly with them. They were terrific and took the time to answer all of our questions. In the past we have booked cruises with a travel agent but this time we decided to do it ourselves.

I am fairly new to these boards and the information here is invaluable. I am about to book my first Carnival cruise and wonder what the advantages would be to book directly through Carnival. How do experienced cruisers book? Thanks for your input and could you also tell me what PVP means?

I book with a Carnival PVP. A PVP is a Peraonal Vacation Planner. If you book with carnival you can do more online with your reservation. Whoever you book with a PVP or a T/A try to stay with the same person and build a relationship with them

I clearly don't consider myself an "experienced cruiser" since I've only been on 4 and booked for my 5th. But I thought I'd offer you my opinion. I prefer going through Carnival. PVP stands for Personal Vacation Planner. I've gone through a travel agent as well, but I prefer booking it myself through Carnival. I go on line choose the cabin, call in and book what I want. I call into the same PVP to book all our cruises which is nice.

They are very helpful and can answer any questions you have.

Good Luck. Have a great cruise!

PVP is "Personal Vacation Planner", this is what CCL calls their reps. As for booking, I personally use a PVP (same one each cruise), but others use a TA. If you use a TA, any questions prior to the cruise for Carnival will have to go thru the TA, as Carnival will not respond to the individual. For other cruise lines we book, I use a TA as I have not found an individual I like with the line yet.

Our first two cruises we booked with a TA and never received any perks, upgrades or OBC, at all. The third cruise I decided to book directly through Carnival with a PVP. I received an upgrade and OBC that cruise. I have been with that PVP since. Everyone feels differently about it. I would go with what you are most comfortable with.

Prices we get perks we get (from Travel Agent) have always been better.

It pays to shop around. Even though some agencies might offer a cruise for the same price as Carnival does, sometimes there are add-ons that will make the deal sweeter.

For some people who know what they are looking for, are familiar with the different ships and cruiselines, who know about cabin selection, etc, booking directly through Carnival is a good option. Also direct booking is a good option for people who do not know a good travel agency.

However, for someone's first cruise, someone unfamiliar with the many options, types of dining, formal vs casual, preferred staterooms, etc, a good travel agent can provide great education about a cruise and tailor fit someone into the right vacation.

I always use Carnival... they're there 24/7 for any questions.

I got an upgrade at 1.30 am 4 days ago. I saw the reduction online, and called immediately, thinking the reduction might not be there in the morning.

It was sorted.... instantly!!

This is worth more to me than any TA incentive.

Also.... some TA's can't (or won't)get free upgrades or OBC's... and some charge whopping cancellation fees...

All good reasons why I book direct with Carnival.

this obviously is a matter of preferance, some swear by going directly through the cruise line, others like dealing with a travel agent. Even though one person mentioned they never got an upgrade, OBC or anything from the agent but did from Carnival this normally isn't the case. If an OBC was offered via Carnival it would apply regardless of how you book, same with upgrades. The advantage, as has been mentioned of using an agent is there is a better chance of saving a few bucks as they quite often do have blocked booked. this also may entitle you to perks or you may get an agent that likes to say "thank you" to their customers by throwing something in the pot. This isn't always the case I might add.

Nita

I prefer eliminating the 'middle man' (person)? by working directly with the line. IMHO using a TA, PVP or anyone else only adds an unnecessary extra layer into the communication/transaction process, thereby also adding additional potential for miscommunication and screw-ups that I don't need.. ;)

If you have a good relationship with a cruise-oriented travel agent, then I would say use the agent. If not, I would book with the line. The person I deal with at Carnival is very helpful and responsive. She actually remembers who I am! I can't say that about the TA I used previously.

Doc:D

I have always used a travel agent to book. Carnival cannot discount your cruise but an agent can. Who ever said they never got a discount with an agent has the wrong agent. My agent has alway returned my called within 30 minutes even after business hours. I guess it just depends who you use. They have always given me the lower price if Carnival lowers their rates. If I paid my final payment they give me an onboard credit. I could never pay full price for a cruise, that is just crazy in this day.

I have always used a travel agent to book. Carnival cannot discount your cruise but an agent can. Who ever said they never got a discount with an agent has the wrong agent. My agent has alway returned my called within 30 minutes even after business hours. I guess it just depends who you use. They have always given me the lower price if Carnival lowers their rates. If I paid my final payment they give me an onboard credit. I could never pay full price for a cruise, that is just crazy in this day.

My sentiments exactly. Nice post

We're about to board for our 6th cruise. I have always used the same travel agent. What I generally do is look at the cruise line website first and see what their prices are. Then I call her and she what she has to offer. This time she did a group booking and got us a great deal with a $100 on board credit. I have to say, however, that a group booking creates holy H*** when you have a problem and need to speak to the cruiseline because they won't talk to you. Any other booking I've done through her they have always spoken to me. We just had to cancel a couple going with us because of a medical situation and we are having no trouble getting the refund paperwork through Carnival, her and the insurance company. Also with this group booking Carnival went ahead and started assigning cabins. They didn't give her a list of cabin numbers and let her fill everyone in. What a fiasco it was to get things switched around so we could have 3 cabins all together!!! Will never ever do a group booking again. Had to beg to get our cabins together and beg carnival to give up a cabin that wasn't in our group booking to do so.

Our very first cruise was on the Pride when she was brand new and we were upgrade to a junior suite!!! Every week our agent was calling saying they wanted to upgrade us. We started out on the main deck, then got offered higher in the ship, then an extended balcony, then the suite. Gosh, I thought maybe they'd put us in the penthouse suite:D but alas that didn't happen.

Just check around and keep asking folks here for assistance. These boards are great!

Great answers. Thank you everyone!! The last time I cruised was six years ago and used a cruise broker to get best price. In 2002 I don't think passengers were routinely booking directly through cruise lines. But, times have changed. I'd really like to book the Liberty 2009 transatlantic cruise from Rome. My only concern is after sailing on Celebrity and Princess several times, I am worried that Carnival will be noisy and crowded. I must book an inside cabin due to budget considerations so can't escape to balconey. I am loving these forums. People here are so willing to help and clearly have a passion for cruising. The positive spirit is so contagious. I am already excited about a cruise I haven't yet booked that is over a year away. Guess I'm changing with the times myself!!!

I have used a broker the last four cruises...gotten upgrades every time and treats such as a bottle of champagne, photos, glasses.

This time I went to the Carnival site and the price for the balcony on our sailing was the exact same as the broker but the broker offered free insurance or gratuties so we went with the broker.

Missygirl

Just booked 7 day Carribean for early Dec with a travel agent. Worked out to $240 less for the 2 of us than Carnival with Past Passenger, Senior etc. People need to do what they feel comfortable doing. If price is important than shop around. As for future decreases TA usually can get an onboard credit. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I use my TA, but look at what everyone else is offering and get my TA to match their price. She always has and sometimes has beat their price:)

I do want to stress something here, not all agents can match prices you get from on line or from other agents. We can do our best, we can guarantee good service but we can not always match. Don't I wish we could.

NIta

Since my second cruise, I always book directly with Carnival. It's just easier that way, eliminating the "middle man", Carnival won't talk to you about your reservation or any problems if you have booked through a TA. My second cruise was booked through an online TA and I had to change something and it just seemed more of a hassle with the back and forth through the TA and them having to contact Carnival for me. I have had two PVPS, both of which left Carnival, when I called I was told they no longer worked there. So now, I just call 1-888-Carnival and always get great service. I just got a great deal on my Imagination cruise through them --called after midnight!! The guy I dealt with was extremely nice and helpful. Also two days ago, I saw that the price had dropped on my Destiny Thanksgiving cruise, so I called and they gave me a credit of $80.pp and it was very simple. No TA's for me.

I do want to stress something here, not all agents can match prices you get from on line or from other agents. We can do our best, we can guarantee good service but we can not always match. Don't I wish we could.

NIta

Curious as to why not?

IF you are only going to cruise on Carnival, FOREVER. And never take a cruise on another line, you MIGHT use a PVP. If some other line is a remote possibility, why not start NOW to build a relationship with a TA that can help with any line. Plus MEET or BEAT the cruiseline prices, EVERYTIME, WITHOUT FAIL!

Dan

NIta

ALL agents CAN match the cruiseline prices, ALWAYS. They may not be willing or able to match other TA's prices, online or otherwise. But they can match Carnival's prices. That's not saying that a really dumb TA always would march Carnival's prices, its saying that they always could if they wished.

Dan

Archived