Docking in Christchurch - Would we make it?

OldJerseycruiser

We would like to go on a Jetboat excursion here. The company would pick us up at the Lyttelton Visitor Centre at 8.30hrs, but the Diamond Princess is not due to dock until 8.00hrs. I know there is a port shuttle into Lyttelton, but would we have any realistic chance of being at the pick up point, as we have no idea of how long it takes for the ship to get clearance at this port. Any thoughts from past cruisers or locals please!

Don't know your cruise dates but every Diamond Princess arrival in 2008-09 is shown on Port of Lyttelton website as docking at 6am. This is the time Priness has booked in with the authorities to dock and while it is only an estimate, I think it likely that the 8am shown on your cruise itinerary is the time that Princess expects to be able to debark people.

Assuming you get to Christchurch (we didn't as bad weather prevented Sun Princess leaving Dunedin/Port Chalmers the previous evening), there should be no problems in your making an 8:30am tour pickup. I would however take the precaution before booking of checking with the tour operator that they will wait for passengers at the pick up point if things are a little delayed.

Cheers

Bob

We would like to go on a Jetboat excursion here. The company would pick us up at the Lyttelton Visitor Centre at 8.30hrs, but the Diamond Princess is not due to dock until 8.00hrs. I know there is a port shuttle into Lyttelton, but would we have any realistic chance of being at the pick up point, as we have no idea of how long it takes for the ship to get clearance at this port. Any thoughts from past cruisers or locals please!

I was wondering what tour operator you are looking at? Do they have a website? I would be interested in this option as well!

Thanks!!

Archived