Isn't the miracle the ship....

Kerry78

that tipped to the side or something? I seem to recall a couple of reviews on CC that I read where this happened. It said that the ship tipped to the side and some of the cabins went under water and the pool water all dumped out. It said people were walking around wearing life jackets for the rest of the cruise they were so scared. They also said it was due to some malfunction, but they had fixed it? I read this LAST year when I was getting ready to cruise the Legend. Now that I am cruising the miracle, I have been having dreams about this!

Does anyone know if that really happened? If its ever happened again to any other ship? Im so excited to go on Sunday, but Im kind of getting jitters now that I cruise with my son!

THANKS!!!

I have seen nothing about Miracle tipping and I googled it. I know the Crown Princess did tip a bit a couple of years ago (15 degree roll-hardly enough to tip it all the way over). But, there hasn't been an incident where the cabins went under water as far as I know or remember especially since to do that the roll would have to be a lot more than 15 degrees. 90 degrees would be the ship on it's side. These ships are built to stay upright. Pool water has been know to slosh or even pour out with a hard enough lean, but, not empty. To completely empty you'd have to almost tip completely upside down. If you're concerned google "cruise ship rolled tipped" and you'll get the story about the Crown Princess. It's extremely rare for something like that to happen.

Don't worry about it Kerry. Every navy and cruise ship has a gage on board that looks like a clock but it has a red zone on both left and right sides. In the middle of the gage is a dial that moves right or left depending on how the ship sways. Now should that dial move to the red zone, that means the smoke stack has entered the water. ................ That is not good! That means the ship will continue the sway and will end up upside down.

The good news is when the dial enters the red zone, the captain will make an announcement some thing like this "The dial has entered the red zone and I suggest all passengers make arrangements to abondoned the ship. Please do not panic as there are plenty of life preservers on board for your convenience. Just remember, up is down and down is up. See you at the pier"

Don't worry about it Kerry. Every navy and cruise ship has a gage on board that looks like a clock but it has a red zone on both left and right sides. In the middle of the gage is a dial that moves right or left depending on how the ship sways. Now should that dial move to the red zone, that means the smoke stack has entered the water. ................ That is not good! That means the ship will continue the sway and will end up upside down.

The good news is when the dial enters the red zone, the captain will make an announcement some thing like this "The dial has entered the red zone and I suggest all passengers make arrangements to abondoned the ship. Please do not panic as there are plenty of life preservers on board for your convenience. Just remember, up is down and down is up. See you at the pier"

Oh STOP!! I was reading your post seriously at first!!! LMAO!

All kidding aside, they do have that gage on every ship. I use to watch it in Damage Control when I was in the navy. By the way it never got to the red zone and that is why I am still here. There were a couple of times, however, where I had my doubts.

I was on the Tropicale once where one of the engines broke down and the ship did lean to one side. They can do that by filling ballast tanks. It was done to give the other engines more power.

I'm sure this is NOT the incident you are referring to because it wasn't very serious and wouldn't have been news worthy but when we were on the Miracle it did list a bit shortly after sailing. We were standing by the elevators when suddenly the ship listed for about 15 seconds. We didn't lose our balance or anything but it sure felt weird. A short time later the teenage girls that were with us but had been by one of the pools during the list said that a lot of water came sloshing out of the pool at the time which ran over their feet and caused one of the girls to stumble and her legs were all wet. She had jeans on because it was cold that day so she had to change her clothes. I heard that some bottles fell at some of the bars but that was it. No one was hurt. I think the cause of the list was the ship making a very sharp turn. We went up on deck right afterward and you could see in the ships wake where we made a sharp turn.

CLASSIC!!!!!

Kerry - I'm on the Miracle with you - I have a gut feeling all will be just fine!

If you are on a carnival ship you get a $25.00 OBC and 10% off your next cruise if the ship goes down

Yes but you have to wear one of those filthy life jackets mentioned in the other current thread :D.

I heard one old lady that was on the Lusitania was able to sail on Cunard for life for free... :cool: She did not really take advantage of it.

Tom in Long Beach

I heard one old lady that was on the Lusitania was able to sail on Cunard for life for free... :cool: She did not really take advantage of it.

Sounds alot like my cruise back in '85 on the Achille Lauro. MSC (formerly Flotta Lauro Line) gave me free cruise for life. Things were greatly improved on the next one I took. The Poesia didn't get hijacked... we just had a little "run in" with Costa Classica. But hey... we clearly had the right of way!

I haven't given up on Italian cruising just yet though. Next year I think I'll book on the Andrea Doria. I've heard good things about her.

It happened on a celebrity ship years ago also.. no biggie..

The CD was telling us that several people lined up for the lifeboat..

with jackets on..

When he asked why they were doing this.. they told him they had a "feeling" they would be evacuated.. The CD asked- What made them think that little boat could handle the rough seas better than this big ship?

He had to convince them to return to their 'cruise'...

lol

Sounds alot like my cruise back in '85 on the Achille Lauro. MSC (formerly Flotta Lauro Line) gave me free cruise for life. Things were greatly improved on the next one I took. The Poesia didn't get hijacked... we just had a little "run in" with Costa Classica. But hey... we clearly had the right of way!

I haven't given up on Italian cruising just yet though. Next year I think I'll book on the Andrea Doria. I've heard good things about her.

Were you really on the Achille Lauro? Wasnt this the ship that was attacked by terrorists, that killed Leon Klinghauffer?

Archived