children car seats

inkboy95

How old is the kiddie in question? I'm guessing the rules in PR are basically like the US, but honestly, most cabs/buses won't have the seatbelts for a carseat anyhow. We brought a carseat on a cruise when our monster was just a little over 2, and we were quite annoyed that we had to trip over it all week in the room.

Please no flaming, I'm not advocating a Britney Spears move "I'm country" move or anything, just saying what's proven doable for us.

Does anyone know the laws in san juan pr., st thomas usvi and st marteen about children and car seats do we have to bring our own or are the cabs and vans equiped?

Car seat laws in Puerto Rico are as follows: Children 4 to 12 years of age are required to be seated in the back. Children under 4 years of age are required to be placed in a safety seat. Car rentals rent the child seat and are limited in supply. Rental is approximately USD3 to USD4 per day.

Just as here in the USA, cabs and vans will generally NOT be equipped with child safety seats. Providing restraints would be up to the parent of the child.

We have always brought our car seat on cruises, flights, -- all over the world. It really isn't difficult -- we use a bag to cover the seat. We have a big and heavy britax, too. A costco scena or a sunshine radian (considerably lighter with great safety ratings) would be even easier.

We have found the great majority of cabs/vans do have safety belts. We did have some trouble in Costa Rica -- but we just waited for a newer cab and lucked out. If we were unable to find a cab/van -- we would make an exception -- same with buses since they never have safety belts -- but if available we use the seat. On the beach, we just rent an extra beach chair in leave it in the chair! We have even put sunglasses and a hat on it. LOL.

Sure, it can be a pain -- and maybe we look silly. But I don't care. Its my kid's safety that matters most to me. (Not meant to imply that other people who make different choices don't care about their children's safety! -- just stating my personal comfort level. :) )

Archived