Can you explain to this cruiser

cruizinwithkids

I just responded! In my mind it does no good just berating the OP. I really think that the cruise lines are somewhat at fault. Far too often I go to see what cabins are available for particular sailings, and I see HCs shown. I really believe that these cabins should be held back, and only offered to people who can demonstrate real need.

I hope that I can help educate a few people on these Boards.

Cheers!

Annette

I just responded! In my mind it does no good just berating the OP. I really think that the cruise lines are somewhat at fault. Far too often I go to see what cabins are available for particular sailings, and I see HCs shown. I really believe that these cabins should be held back, and only offered to people who can demonstrate real need.

I hope that I can help educate a few people on these Boards.

Cheers!

Annette

Yes, the cruise lines are at fault. However, I think the OP is also at fault and needs to be told that what he is doing is wrong.

Amen to educating AB's.

Cheers back at ya, Linda :D

It's not been my experience that the cruise lines are at fault. I've taken 4 cruises, 2 different lines, and am about to take a 5th cruise, a different line from the first four (so Princess, Carnival, and now NCL)...

and EVERY time I've been asked, either by the travel agent (and I've used different agents), or the cruise line itself, for PROOF of disability, and need for an accessible cabin.

I use a wheelchair, and have been in a wheelchair since before I started cruising. While they haven't asked what my disability is, they HAVE asked why I need the cabin, before they'll confirm my reservation. And then assure me that they've noted that I have a disability and won't be in danger of being bumped.

I always book way early...and, as I told the offensive poster, I often end up paying more for the cabin because I'm not able to take advantage of last-minute deals or price-cuts, nor can I hope for the "upsell fairy" to come, as I NEED that cabin (as do most of you who post here.)

At any rate -- I wonder if it's the TA's that are really at fault...booking those cabins for their non-disabled clients, knowing they are bigger...and telling the cruise line that the client is disabled?

I've really not heard of anyone non-disabled being bumped from the cabin, and know from personal experience that calling the cruise line and asking for an accessible cabin, even months out, will get you a "no" if they're all booked. I don't think there's any real checking that goes on once the cabin is booked. It's booked by someone presumed to be handicapped, it would be the last cabin they'd consider "bouncing" someone from, and so they look elsewhere. In other words, a sort of "guarantee".

I've stated my case over there...but don't know that it'll do much good. The poster is an experienced cruiser, arrogant in his position.

I have also added to the post.

I feel this sort of thing is just so wrong, getting HC cabin just because they are bigger!

And then to have the gall to brag about it! Really annoying.

We didn't change any minds, certainly not the original poster and his supporter (who does at least wait until a month out..or so she claims..before booking an HC cabin...) but maybe we did cause some of the others to think a bit.

Archived