Carb friendly dressing/stuffing

mellow

Quick question. I was thinking about Thanksgiving and how to keep the meal special but still within WOE. Yes, I know everyone is shocked that any of us would be thinking about food..... :o

Anyway, I realized one of my favorites of our traditional Thanksgiving meal is the stuffing. Before, I have always just passed the dish on by when I was "being good" and loaded my plate up if I was "being bad". But since I am now trying to incorporate healthy eating everyday whenever possible while still maintaining a quality of life, I started wondering if there was a way to make the stuffing carb friendly.

Looking at my receipe ingredients, it looks like the bread crumbs/croutons are really the only bad carbs there. So back to my "quick" :rolleyes: question. Has anyone made stuffing with good whole wheat bread crumbs or croutons (if there is such a thing as 100% whole wheat croutons)? And if you have, did you make any other alterations in the receipe to account for the whole wheat versus white bread? And even more important, how did it taste. I keep thinking that with turkey drippings, carrots, celery, onions, eggs, sage, etc that the bread change wouldn't make too much difference?

Sorry about the long post for such a short questions but "to the point" is NOT my strongsuit..........

• 3 weeks later...

Why not make your own croutons with the carb conscious breads? Wonder Lite (in regular and wheat) tastes pretty good. Aunt Millie's does several carb watcher versions (white, oat bran, whole wheat, etc.). Even good old Pepperidge Farms has several out. The only main players I haven't seen with this one are Sunbeam and Baker's Inn. That and remember that the equivalent of 2 slices would then be about 15g of carbs. We're going to try that this thanksgiving and I think it'll work just fine (and I'll just add a little more sage and other spices to add to the flavor).

Another idea would be to add some wild or brown rice to the stuffing. I'm not a big stuffing fan but I've seen some recipes here and there for wild rice stuffing that had bread, rice, nuts and dried cranberries. I saw it on a foodnetwork show a few weeks back but can't remember which one.

Tami

Thanks guys. Joy, that was my plan - to use whole wheat, low carb bread for croutons but just wondered if anyone had tried it and knew how it tasted. :)

Tami, that sounds good too. Will have to see if I can search and find the how to. :)

The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough has a recipe for wild rice stuffing, plus lots of great advice about holiday and special occasion meals. She has an incredible pumpkin mousse that you could use as a pumpkin pie filling with a low carb pie crust.

I've switched to South Beach, so I can't eat it anymore.:(

Archived