17 weeks 'til our cruise........and I had to cancel

bubbles1209

We only had 17 more weeks left 'til our Jan. cruise on Freedom, but yesterday, I had to go ahead, face reality, and cancel it.:( We booked last year before all of the fuel surcharges, and when we booked, both of my

kids had moved out from here and in with their dad. Well, since then, they

have moved back in :D but they will be in school that week, and I don't want to pull them out of school. It's my daughter's Junior year, she's studying for the highest diploma they give out here (college prep with distinction), and as of right now has 100 averages in 4 out of 6 classes. The other 2 are in the high 90's. My son on the other hand, is at the other

end of the spectrum, it's all I can do to get him to turn in his work, he's failing 2 out of 6 classes already in the 4th week of school. I don't believe in pulling them out of school for something I want to do, and I have no family that can stay with them while we go. Soooooooooo I had to cancel.:( I've just been telling myself that I know we are going on another in June of next year and that my wait time just got a little longer, but arggggggggggg I'm sure gonna miss the one we had planned. Yes, I'm cruise addicted, yes, it breaks my heart, but yes, I'm a parent 1st, and they come first. Just need a little support from my CC family I guess, I know you guys will understand.;)

2.gif I feel for you. But, you are correct. I applaud your decision and you have my utmost respect! So many folks put their children last! It is refreshing to see someone put their children first. These are years that you can never get back. You can always book another cruise. Bravo.......and may it all come back to you 10 fold with the best cruise of your life in June!

We only had 17 more weeks left 'til our Jan. cruise on Freedom, but yesterday, I had to go ahead, face reality, and cancel it.:( We booked last year before all of the fuel surcharges, and when we booked, both of my

have moved back in :D but they will be in school that week, and I don't want to pull them out of school. It's my daughter's Junior year, she's studying for the highest diploma they give out here (college prep with distinction), and as of right now has 100 averages in 4 out of 6 classes. The other 2 are in the high 90's. My son on the other hand, is at the other

end of the spectrum, it's all I can do to get him to turn in his work, he's failing 2 out of 6 classes already in the 4th week of school. I don't believe in pulling them out of school for something I want to do, and I have no family that can stay with them while we go. Soooooooooo I had to cancel.:( I've just been telling myself that I know we are going on another in June of next year and that my wait time just got a little longer, but arggggggggggg I'm sure gonna miss the one we had planned. Yes, I'm cruise addicted, yes, it breaks my heart, but yes, I'm a parent 1st, and they come first. Just need a little support from my CC family I guess, I know you guys will understand.;)

thanks for the life story, really needed it. It is only a cruise, you will have other opportunities, sorry for the disappointment

2.gif I feel for you. But, you are correct. I applaud your decision and you have my utmost respect! So many folks put their children last! It is refreshing to see someone put their children first. These are years that you can never get back. You can always book another cruise. Bravo.......and may it all come back to you 10 fold with the best cruise of your life in June!

Years ago we had to cancel a family vacation because my oldest son got invited to a Math and Science competition. Our other 2 children whined for weeks but dh and I felt we did the right thing. Now, 18 years later, our oldest son will graduate from NC State in December with a Doctorate in "Chemical Engineering specializing in Polymer Research". Yes, we all sacrificed but it is always worth it and there have been many cruises and vacations since then.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel

I feel for you and your son ..I guess you have to keep talking to him about the importance of success in school

I went thru a VERY hard time last spring I too had to cancel a cruise because of a situation with my son and his school

Thank g-d .Everything is finally settling down and I did what I had to do and I am waiting for JUSTICE to come about .

I hope the people who tried to hurt him get their just reward!!!!

Chin up ! Look forward to the summer one!!!

Good luck

Michele

thanks for the life story, really needed it. It is only a cruise, you will have other opportunities, sorry for the disappointment

To you it's only a cruise, to me it was something I had my heart set on, and very much looked forward to. It wasn't a life story, it was a couple of reasons why, my life story wouldn't fit on this board. Sorry for the disappointment would have sufficed, and thanks for that part anyway.

They couldn't stay with their dad? In any case, you're making the right decision, and when you do get to cruise, you'll enjoy it that much more!

Nah, they don't want to stay with him. I always said I'd never have to turn them against him, that he would do it himself......and he did. But you're right, I'll enjoy the June one even more.

Nah, they don't want to stay with him. I always said I'd never have to turn them against him, that he would do it himself......and he did. But you're right, I'll enjoy the June one even more.

Wow, that's just a shame! Don't second-guess your decision. You're doing the responsible thing.

Wow, that's just a shame! Don't second-guess your decision. You're doing the responsible thing.

Not second guessing, they come 1st. Just wish we could have worked it out for them to go with us instead of having to cancel. The closest we could come was 1 in Feb. but they would still miss 2 days of school. They don't want to miss any school, nor do I want them to miss any school. So, I guess I have a little longer to work on the tanning bed, or lose that holiday weight I might gain.

You didn't have to reply if you were going to make a hurtful comment like that. Some people do like to tell more than others, when they're hurting. You have a choice not to read and for sure not to respond. Congratulations on your award

Could you take the money you're saving by not going and use it to make the June cruise even more special? Maybe a better room or a better ship or a better itinerary.

I'm not Carnival cruiser and you may be on the newest, nicest, ship in the best room, but you know what I mean. I do know about cruising with kids:) and the complications.

Could you take the money you're saving by not going and use it to make the June cruise even more special? Maybe a better room or a better ship or a better itinerary.

I'm not Carnival cruiser and you may be on the newest, nicest, ship in the best room, but you know what I mean. I do know about cruising with kids:) and the complications.

I'm taking the money we're saving and doing a shorter, land based vacation for their Feb. break, and using what's left to make her prom even more special. Anything left after that goes for our next cruise. We've about decided on the Glory for June, we are taking a friend from work and her husband with us, and I really want her to see St. Thomas. That one's pretty much decided, we're waiting for the military friends & family promotion to come up to book that one.

I'm taking the money we're saving and doing a shorter, land based vacation for their Feb. break, and using what's left to make her prom even more special. Anything left after that goes for our next cruise. We've about decided on the Glory for June, we are taking a friend from work and her husband with us, and I really want her to see St. Thomas. That one's pretty much decided, we're waiting for the military friends & family promotion to come up to book that one.

Your kids are lucky;)

Hi Neighbor,

Sorry you had to cancel. I know you are disappointed. I sure would be. It sounds like you have life's priorities straight. Childrens needs come first.

You have made good alternative plans: enjoy them!

I am a slightly similar situation going on - trying to decide if I can book a cruise or not. Both of my parents have recently died. My girls (both grown) bio-father recently died also. I want to be on a cruise this Christmas. However, this being their first Christmas without a lot of family, I will not go unless they all can go with us. DD1 and her new hubby can join us. DD2 (single) lives in Atlanta and is not sure if she can get vacation from work for the cruise. If she can, hubby and I will take them all with us. If not, we will all stay home, and have Christmas here. DD2, may be grown and 'on her own' but I will not leave her alone to celebrate Christmas with no family.

we just recently cancelled our feb. truimph cruise.....DS1 and his wife are expecting there 1st child our first grandchild....

i didnt cancel for months ...then we decided that if all DS's and there wifes couldnt go then none of us would go.....

I too am like you....know i made the right descion but am still sad about it....

now we will have to wait at least 2 years for our next cruise......

we did the glory this feb....(review link below) and we had a blast......

have fun on you june cruise...

You didn't have to reply if you were going to make a hurtful comment like that. Some people do like to tell more than others, when they're hurting. You have a choice not to read and for sure not to respond. Congratulations on your award

I do agree with you, some people have to post negative comments or they are not happy campers.

Why, who knows???

To the op I am sorry that you had to cancel your cruise, but glad that you are a great mom.

We've had to cancel a couple too 100% due to kid issues in our house. I am thankful that I am not so selfish that I would do it anyway at the cost of my family. The ocean and ships are going to be there for a long time to come. I only get one chance with the kids. Good for you for recognizing what is important in life :)

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel. We always used to take our kids out of school to travel, but that was when they were younger. Now we go on Spring Break or during any school holiday. Here our kids can earn exemptions from exams if they have less than 6 missed classes - great incentive. It is amazing how much work they miss in just one week of middle or high school. Good decision to cancel, but I do feel for you:( .

We have 3 kids in 2nd and 4th grades, and we pulled them out of school for the week. My wife is a Teacher at their school, and we made arrangements to get All their assignments for the week that they will miss. They are so excited to go on their 1st cruise, that they sat down and finished everything in 1 day! They will be caught up with the rest of their classmates, but will have unexcused absences for the days they miss. We don't worry about that b/c they otherwise always have perfect attendance. This trip has been planned to reward myself and my "Little Nurses" that took care of me after having Bilateral Knee Surgery! (that is when you have both knees replaced at the same time!) So say what you will.....to each his/her own. I know my kids and Family not anyone here, and we plan to have FUN TOGETHER! Wish you the best on you cruise!:)

We have 3 kids in 2nd and 4th grades, and we pulled them out of school for the week. My wife is a Teacher at their school, and we made arrangements to get All their assignments for the week that they will miss. They are so excited to go on their 1st cruise, that they sat down and finished everything in 1 day! They will be caught up with the rest of their classmates, but will have unexcused absences for the days they miss. We don't worry about that b/c they otherwise always have perfect attendance. This trip has been planned to reward myself and my "Little Nurses" that took care of me after having Bilateral Knee Surgery! (that is when you have both knees replaced at the same time!) So say what you will.....to each his/her own. I know my kids and Family not anyone here, and we plan to have FUN TOGETHER! Wish you the best on you cruise!:)

I'm not exactly sure what this has to do with the OP??????? You have a 2nd and 4th grader, the OP has a JUNIOR in high school going for an advanced diploma and while she didn't indicate what grade her son was in, he is FAILING 2 of classes. Your children have absolutely nothing to do with why the OP cancelled. When your kids are MUCH older and perhaps have the same scenario as the OP, I'd be interested to hear if you'd REALLY pull them out of school then.

Archived