Your first cruise ship

We're such newbies! Our first cruise was in August, 2001. We did Alaska, northbound from Vancouver, on the Sea Princess. It got us hooked, for sure.

About 8 months later, we sailed the Rotterdam on a fantastic 10-day Canada/New England cruise. We saw something in Holland America's product that was a cut above ... and we really liked it. Some things are the same, but sadly some things aren't what they once were.

For the rookies!;)

Ship+Photo+Sea+Princess.jpg

Sea Princess (1998-present) Built in 1998 for Princess Cruise Line

Ship+Photo+Rotterdam.jpg

Rotterdam VI (1997-present) Built in 1997 for Holland America Line

We had an interesting experience in Alaska.

We were on Sitmar's Fairsky in 1984 and the Nieuw Amsterdam was docked next to us. We discovered that if you showed your Fairsky cabin key, they let you board and visit Nieuw Amsterdam. So we went aboard and enjoyed walking around on her.

.....never would happen today...

Back in the 80's we were allowed to visit the ships... saw the Nieuw Amsterdam and visited the Noordam III in LA a copule times after I sailed her. We also got to socialize with crew & officers (hey, I was only 23!!!! and having a good time...) and got all kinds of behind the scenes tours and access to areas we never would be allowed to see today. :)

I'd love to see that brochure. That's great:) !

It's pretty 80's lol!!! I had it signed by many of the officers & staff on the final voyage of Noordam III in 2004. They couldn't believe I still had it after all those years... I still have the full menu set too. :)

Was on the Carnival Destiny. Did we get hooked? I would say so! We have been on 17 cruises in the last 5 years, and have 4 more booked. We have been on 5 different cruise lines. Do I have an addiction? Yes, I do, and I love it! :D :eek: :D

Ship+Photo+Carnival+Destiny.jpg

Carnival Destiny (1996-present)

My first cruise was on the SS United States. I was 12.

My Dad was military and had been stationed in Germany. We left New York and the "free" movie the first night out was the Titanic (or at least the old/original version).

Then we ran into a nor'easter. I remember that the outside doors were chained shut to keep everyone off the outside decks. My sister and I enjoyed the pool - down below then - we thought it was fun swimming as the deep end became ankle depth when the water sloshed out into the changing areas. Of course, our fun was ruined when the pool was closed.

I must admit that ordering the "olive tray" is still a memory. We visited a restaurant in Nags Head a couple of years ago that has the old bar and several menus (my mom tossed them after keeping them many years) and, although I don't remember the bar, I do remember the menus. No hamburgers, but do remember that one child had one delivered by silver tray to the stateroom. I also remember my Mom tossing the unwanted desserts out the port hole (she didn't want to hurt the waiter's feelings).

We retuned of MSTS in June 1961 (just before the wall went up) and had a smooth crossing. Must admit, do seem to sleep better with a bit of tossing and turning.

ss United States (1952-present) Built in 1952 for the United States Lines. While the United States was at Newport News for her annual overhaul in 1969, her owners decided to take her out of service and she was laid up at Newport News. A few years later, she was moved to Norfolk, Va. Since then, ownership has been passed between several companies. In 2003, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) purchased the ship from the estate of Edward Cantor when she was put up for auction after his death with the stated intent of fully restoring her to a service role in their newly-announced American-flagged Hawaiian passenger service called NCL America. The ship is currently berthed in Philadelphia until a decision is made about her fate.

Ship+Photo+SS+United+States.jpg

It's pretty 80's lol!!! I had it signed by many of the officers & staff on the final voyage of Noordam III in 2004. They couldn't believe I still had it after all those years... I still have the full menu set too. :)

I have a few sets of menus too but I think the oldest one is from 1999. I hated the first cruise I took in 1984. Couldn't wait to get off. I wonder if it didn't have something to do with meeting my now ex husband a few months before and missing him terribly. Fast forward to 1999 and divorced :D I took my next cruise. I was hooked at the point and have never looked back.

I have a few sets of menus too but I think the oldest one is from 1999. I hated the first cruise I took in 1984. Couldn't wait to get off. I wonder if it didn't have something to do with meeting my now ex husband a few months before and missing him terribly. Fast forward to 1999 and divorced :D I took my next cruise. I was hooked at the point and have never looked back.

Sorry to hear it wasn't good... I got hooked back then but never got the opportunity again until 1999. I finally talked my husband into going, and he loved it - he was resistant because he thought he'd be bored, lol...

Have the menus and programs and tickets dating back to 1969. The who bunch take up a wall of file cabinets.

If I were industrious, Id scan them and put them online.

What a difference 40 years makes.

Now that would really be interesting to see. Next time you are bored you know what your project will be:D :D .

Sorry to hear it wasn't good... I got hooked back then but never got the opportunity again until 1999. I finally talked my husband into going, and he loved it - he was resistant because he thought he'd be bored, lol...

The cruise was way too long in 1984 for a first one. It was 14 days to Mexico. There were things I liked but it was just way too long and I was sick with a cold and seasick. Now I think 14 days isn't long enough:D . I can't wait to go on my 26 day in Nov:) .

what is interesting about the menus is, and most were from 18 to 21 day cruises, items never repeated.

The covers are works of art. Especially the FRANCE.

And there was a list of FREE activities a mile long.

Of course, the cruise price was much higher in dollars back then compared to now.

This is a great thread, and thanks for the GREAT photos of some classic ships!

Relative newby here -- first cruise October 2000 on NCL Majesty -- this was when they were going from traditional to "freestyle" and while they had open seating, there was still "parades" in the dining room -- very odd... When we arrived at the pier in Boston we thought that ship was SO BIG!!

Yes, we were completely hooked after that -- sailed a few more Majesty cruises before going to a "BIG" ship --and haven't looked back! 15 cruises under our belts and #16 in about 41 days!

My first cruise was in 1971 on the MV Freeport. Four girls in an inside cabin trying to do hair, makeup and get dressed in prom gowns. :eek:

Yes, my school chartered the ship for our senior prom. I guess the parents felt good knowing we were captive. My high school was in Ft. Lauderdale so it was easy to sail from Miami.

Mariner, I'm still waiting for a dining room experience to match the Victoria. Some have come close, but none equal. It was great fun in the storm with so few people in the dining room. Remember one night when we couldn't make up our mind what to eat, they brought us a taste of everything on the menu--lobster, steak, etc.

Can't go back, though. Looking forward to our first experience on the Maasdam

1978. Princess "Island Princess" sister ship to "The LOVE boat" The cruise was to Alaska out of VanCouver and back TO VanCouver. Sail away was during our dinner; so my then 14 year old daughter and I raced up to see the sail away. We sailed under the VERY tall bridge and saw a man jump off the bridge and plummet into the water. We were horrified.

Busy years in between that cruise and the next; graduations/ work schedules/ more graduations /weddings and birth's of grandchildren.

We found Holland America shortly after I retired from public library service. Dick retired 2 years later and we were off and running -the bug bit-and never left. "Nieuw Amsterdam" the OLD "Noordam" "Rotterdam" "Zaandam" "Volendam" "Veendam" - and our favorite ship "Amsterdam" [ although we've loved them all]

We sail out again in a bit less than a week on the "Amsterdam" for Asia and the south Pacific. It feels like "coming home" ;)

IslandPrincess04.jpgIsland Venture (1971-present) completed in 1971 for Flagship Cruises (Norway). She was sold to P&O, for their recently acquired Princess subsidiary, in 1974. Renamed Island Venture in the Princess fleet, she served with them from 1974-2000. She was then sold to Korean interests as the Hyundai Pungak. In 2003 she was acquired by UK-based Voyages of Discovery, who renamed her Discovery.

Ship+Photo+DISCOVERY.jpg

John,

My first cruise ever was on the Ocean Monarch in '62...as a college student....College Week Cruise to Bermuda! I have a photo I found online of the Ocean Monarch...but still haven't figured out how to post anything more than a thumbnail.

So, please, double-click to enlarge:

205587034_OceanMonarch2.jpg.4990df8ab6fe5ba647b4dc77992fec21.jpg

1821533662_OceanMonarch.jpg.9163ab9f7106ca2db2ca0680b1ed537d.jpg