LAX Marriot-and train station

cuterlmt

If you are talking about the downtown LA train station, then I would guess not, as LAX and downtown LA are many miles apart. I believe the Marriott just shuttles between the airport and the hotel, or possibly even a small area surrounding the hotel. When we stayed there after our wedding, it was because we had an early morning flight the next day, and they shuttled us to our terminal.

Unfortunately, Amtrak's system tends to be confusing and misleading as they use airport codes. As far as I know, there isn't a train station near the airport.

Cruisin' Chick is right. LA Union Station is nowhere near the airport, and while Amtrak does use destination code LAX, it just denotes "Los Angeles", not LAX, the airport. There is an Amtrak Thruway bus stop in Inglewood, which is closer to the airport, but there is no way I would book there. You don't want to get dropped off at a bus stop in Inglewood.

However, there is regular "Flyaway" bus service between Union Station and LAX. That is probably your best bet. Then just take the shuttle from the airport to your hotel.

http://www.lawa.org/lax/LAXFlyAway-Union.html

BTW -- There are Hertz and Budget rental counters in Union Station. However, there are some restrictions, such as hours (open until 6 pm on weekdays, only open until like 2pm weekends) and policies (Hertz doesn't do one way rentals from Union Station) that can make it difficult.

Actually, I take that back about Inglewood. It is not a regular station, but will only be active on October 11, 2008 for a special celebration. So there is nothing to use there.

I had gone on Amtrak.com tonight too to see if there was a station near the airport and saw that notice about the celebration. If you're arriving by train, either check into the thruway service to San Pedro or book a private shuttle service.

I would definitely arrive at least a day early. Another reason I was checking the amtrak website was because I wanted to see what they were saying about that tragic collusion which happened Friday about 4 to 5 miles away from where I live. Those on the Starlight and Surfliner are going to travel Van Nuys to Santa Barbara via bus.

Thanks guys.

I'm having trouble deciding between:

1) getting transport from the train to the LAX Marriot (I need to check with supershuttle) and staying at the LAX Marriot and renting a car there and getting the transportation via princess on the day of our cruise to the port; or

2) taking the thruway bus to San Pedro (the one by the pier) and staying at the crowne plaza and renting a car there, and getting transportation via the free shuttle to the cruise port; or

3) renting a car from the union station and staying in a hotel and getting transportation to the cruise port, depending on where we stay.

Now you've thrown another possibility in the mix - which is to get from Union Station to LAX and get transportation from there to Marriot LAX.

I want to make this as easy as possible. We'll have luggage that we don't want to have to lug around much, and we want convenience and don't want to waste too much time.

Does anyone know which rental car agency is out of LAX Marriot?

According to the Marriott website, there is a complementary shuttle between the airport and the LAX Marriott. So if your objective is to stay there, taking the Flyaway bus from Union Station to LAX and the hotel shuttle is a reasonable plan.

However, I can't find a compelling reason to stay there, other than the fact it is the hotel with a pre-cruise deal and transport with Princess.

Personally, I think your best bet is to stay at the Crowne Plaza. It is the simplest of the available options. You could take Thruway, arrange a shuttle or cab, or rent a car.

If you rent at Union Station, be aware of that Hertz doesn't allow one-way rentals to other locations, even other local Los Angeles locations, from there. Budget does, but the closest return locations to San Pedro are in Long Beach.

Another rental option is Enterprise, which is the firm that has the rental desk at the Crowne Plaza. They have two downtown LA locations ("Downtown" and "Pershing Square" -- which is smack in the middle of downtown) that would most likely pick you up at Union Station, although their weekend hours are limited. While their website can't book one way rentals, they do allow one-ways with "restrictions", so you could call and find out.

If you can arrange a one-way rental from downtown LA to the Crowne Plaza with Enterprise, I think that is an option that fulfills all you requirements in terms of minimal fuss and transfer, as well as being quicker than the Thruway bus. Some of this depends on the day you are arriving and the train you are arriving on, because the Enterprise downtown locations close at 2 pm on weekends. So if you are arriving on a weekday, no worries. If you arriving on a late train on a weekend, not so good. In terms of a GUARANTEE of getting to San Pedro, the Thruway would be the best bet, because Amtrak will get you to San Pedro regardless of when the train gets in. However, you must get your desination changed from Los Angeles to San Pedro and get re-ticketed before you leave. They won't guarantee a connection that isn't pre-booked.

Also in terms of guarantees, the Flyaway bus runs 24 hours a day (every 1/2 hour 5am to 1am, every hour 1 am to 5 am). So getting to the LAX Marriott is pretty much of a lock as well.

What train are you coming in on? That does impact which options are better than others.

thank you. that information is very helpful and what I was looking for.

When I looked at Hertz online, it seemed to let you drop off the car at Lomita (someone had suggested that earlier from a different pick up place), but it sounds like it doesn't really let you do that. We arrive on Friday morning via the Southwest chief, so we should be ok as far as timing and getting a rental car.

The biggest objective is getting a rental car, a place to spend the night, and making it as easy as possible!!

Thanks!!!

Yeah, Hertz has a location at Lomita, but they just don't allow one-way rentals from their Union Station location (don't know why, they do from the other downtown LA locations). I've run up against that restriction a couple of times. In any case Lomita is like 5-7 miles from downtown San Pedro where you need to be.

The SW Chief has a fairly good on time record and gets in early in the morning anyway, so I would not worry about getting in in time to pick up a car on a Friday. Definitely tell them you are coming in on Amtrak though, and get the rental location's direct phone number, so if the train is somewhat late you can call them and let them know so they don't give your car away.

Also, FYI, Pershing Square is 2 subway stops from Union Station, so even if pick up was an issue for Enterprise, it would be pretty easy to get there anyway.

Good luck, and have fun.

Archived