Is ordering multiple entrees, appetizers & desserts really necessary?

nycruise

Once we went to the Horizon Court in the late afternoon, took one regular plate and selected some cookies, grapes, cheese and crackers. The plate was not piled sky high (and we were sharing it). When we entered the elevator, a woman looked at our plate and said loudly to her friends "That's so tacky!"

We were embarrassed, but just wanted a snack with our balcony wine.

I guess we are also low rent kind of people.DH and I are planning on ordering at least 2 lobster tails while we are cruiseing.LOL

And as far as the woman goes it was not any of her business anyways and I would have said something to her as well.:D It is your vacation do as you wish.As long as you are not harming anyone else then why should they care.

Necessary? Of course not. Then again, cruising itself is not a necessary part of life. It's a privilege and a luxury. To me, one of the attractive aspects of a cruise is the ability to sample some dishes that I would not ordinarily order at a land-based restaurant. It's not a matter of downing vast quantities of anything in sight (although I admit that I have witnessed that on rare occasion). I think it's a bit extreme to generalize and call it "low rent".

one could ask, if ordering something with a bazillion calories in it vs. something on the "left hand side of the menu" is really something that should be anyone's business other than your own, too. I could order a very healthy meal (but probably won't) and look down at your item from every course including "heart attack on a plate" and a dessert that has over 50 grams of fat and probably wonder about your eating habits (but I won't). Same could be said for a vegetarian watching someone else eat prime rib or a filet or something else.

Judge not....lest ye be judged.

I LOVE being "low rent". On our last cruise we, (myself, my DH, SIL, and BIL) decided to be placed at a table for 10, because we wanted to meet some other people (We had PC Dining). We did not even have to ask for the extra plates of food. All the waiter heard was "I wonder what this tastes like?" and we ended up with 6 plates of entrees at our end of the table, for the four of us. The other people at the table were shocked. I don't know if it was because they brought all that food or because the four of us ate all of it. Anyway, at the end we also had to sample a variety of desserts. When the others found out you "could actually do that!", they had no problem doing the same. I am not going to tell you how many plates of desserts were eaten that night, but as I said before, I LOVE BEING LOW RENT. For the amount I am paying for this cruise, you had better believe I am going to get my full calorie count by the time I leave for home.

bon appetite! (yum yum)

------------------------------

March 27/05 - Star Princess - Get me to the cruise on time!

Once we went to the Horizon Court in the late afternoon, took one regular plate and selected some cookies, grapes, cheese and crackers. The plate was not piled sky high (and we were sharing it). When we entered the elevator, a woman looked at our plate and said loudly to her friends "That's so tacky!"

We were embarrassed, but just wanted a snack with our balcony wine.

My FIL's main duty while on board is to bring back "cocktail hour" snacks from the Horizon Court.

We always do traditional late dining and enjoy a little something to tide us over.

As far the bxxxxy woman in the elevator....I would have told her that my poor daughter is recovering from sea sickness and finally felt like she could nibble on something and keep it down.

Or maybe I would have told her to just shut up and mind her own business.

I'm simply amazed at how RUDE some people can be.

She should have been the one that was embarrassed...not you, Cat!

LOW RENT DISTRICT???

I must live there because when it comes to cruising & eating (especially Lobster... cruisingfreak!),I will pound them with the best,always trying to break my personal cruise record of 13 tails.

We usually always order 2-4 appetizers each (you should see what my 5 foot 2 inch,100 lb. wife can put away,you'd be amazed!) plus salad and soup before our entree(s) so if that's low rent,bring it on!

catdancer,

We've been known to bring a cheese/fruit plate to our room to enjoy with our afternoon wine too.I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and would have told that lady in the elevator off pronto!

I have been so spoiled by choices on the cruise menu that I sometimes spill over into "non-cruise" territory. When one of my favorite "land" restaurants had 2 different soups that sounded wonderful, I ordered both. Boy, did I get looks! It's not that I ordered everything on the menu -- I just couldn't decide and wanted to try both. Sure glad most fellow passengers don't give me those kind of looks when I decide to taste multiple items from the menu. Luckily I have reached a point in my life where the looks don't bother me much!

Usually at the beginning of the cruise, we notice people at our table just order one of each course. Then, as the cruise progresses, they order multiple appys, deserts, main courses (esp. lobster). I think they follow our lead!;)

this is why I like cruising with friends...we know what our habits are dining wise and no one blinks if someone orders two desserts...hell, we usually wind up sharing everything anyway LOL

It's just food not brain surgery people. If ordering a dessert along with a scoop of ice cream makes me low rent, then so be it.

quote originally posted by cruisingfreak:

"One time in the Horizon Court,I ate 11 lamb chops,in one sitting.Does that count for low rent district?LOL!"

Not only are you in the low rent district,you're the neighborhood president!

I envy you.I love lamb chops,they must have been killer!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hey catdancers, re: the lady that said it was tacky of you to bring stuff to your cabin. Since you had a fairly light plate of stuff, you could have told her it was dinner for both of you, and asked her what SHE was having???? :)

We always bring stuff back to the cabin from Horizon Court. Usually, DH goes up in the morning and gets breakfast for us and brings it down........he gets plenty of "looks" but it doesn't bother him. Sometimes it is hard to find a seat in the buffet at meal time, and hey, if we have a balcony, we enjoy having breakfast there. We consider that our "Personal Choice" breakfast. We have been known to go up before bedtime and get a couple of cookies, too. So, while we dont usually order "extra" in the dining room, we do get our share of the Horizon Court. Sometimes we even get a sandwich and bring it to our cabin............when we get tired of, or don't feel like having stuff on the Room Service menu. AND, know what? We're going to keep right on doing that..................

Thanks, nycruise for giving us something different to talk about! :D

When it comes to cruising, food has always been a selling point. The more the better. And while it seems that the lines may be cutting corners in other areas, as long as they encourage folks to eat it'll still be a claim to fame. Funny, unless you won a cruise or received one as a gift, everyone paid something cross the gangplank. Enjoy the ride. Low rent to me is the resreving of chairs but thats another thread. nycruiser, you want to start that one up? As far as the "class act" in the elevator, its folks that enjoy being crabby and like to make themselves feel better for being so. They should find another vacation of choice.

here's my thing.......what's eaten is really none of your business. As someone else pointed out, we all paid to take that cruise (unless it was a gift or what have you) and part of the fare covers food. So for every person who eats 2 entrees....there's one person who doesn't even make it into the dining room.

And if someone wants to be so low brow as to comment on someone else's eating habits, then I think that speaks volumes about the person making the snarky comment.

[quote name='kruisey']When one reaches 6 score years plus eight.........one of the joys left is looking forward to a great plate of nosh and a lovely desert.Thank goodness our stomachs don't age like the outside of the body and still makes its demands.......ones always got TUMS after the meal after all !!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
Wow - you are looking good for 128 years old!

[quote name='cruiserforlife']quote originally posted by cruisingfreak:

"One time in the Horizon Court,I ate 11 lamb chops,in one sitting.Does that count for low rent district?LOL!"

Not only are you in the low rent district,you're the neighborhood president!

I envy you.I love lamb chops,they must have been killer!

CONGRATULATIONS!!![/QUOTE]

They were the best baby lamb chops ever.

Congrats on the 13 lobster tails. What a great record to break!!!

Minette

I thought you were supposed to order from the "night's feature" menu AND from the "always available" menu just to be polite. That is why I tell the waiter at the start of our cruise that my wife and I want shrimp cocktail and to share a fettucine alfedo each night as a side in addition to whatever else we order. Yes, I have also gotten two entrees in addition to this--swordfish and shrimp in fire sauce on our cruise just last week. Yummmmm.

Not to be too petty about all this, but I do find it humorous to be lectured by a New Yorker on manners. Not surprised...just humored.

BP

Archived