Currency in Santiago

d man

Will be arriving pre cruise for two nights in Santiago. We plan to use a CC for most purchases, but for certain things (taxi's, etc) will we need pesos or can we use american dollars? Any info will be helpful

Enjoy

d man

Onboard the ship they told us there was no need for Chilean Pesos as they would take US dollars. Wrong!!! Maybe in the strictly tourist and ship excursions, but we could not buy a coke or snack anywhere on our tour. I really wish we would have converted $50 or so just for these incidental type purchases. The airport would take dollars, but did so very reluctantly and only the the convenience type store. It also ended up costing more because they would not give any change and did not seem to know the conversion rate. I would definitely advise getting at least some pesos.

.. but for certain things (taxi's, etc) will we need pesos or can we use american dollars? Any info will be helpful ...

If you use dollars for taxis you'll probably get a fair amount of reluctance from the driver as well as a incredibly bad exchange rate. Just remember, the driver will eventually need to convert your dollars to pesos and this will cost money.

Is there a place at the airport where we can exchange american dollars for peco's?

Thanks

d man

Sure, but if you want a better exchange rate just use the ATM. Find out more about SCL here: http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/english/index.php

BTW - don't forget about the reciprocity fee upon arrival.

Does anybody know the fees for using the ATM.

Thanks

Depends on which ATM you use. MOST in Chile are $2.00 for the CHILEAN fee. Then MOST banks charge for out of network ATM's. I bank with Chase and they charge $3.00 to use my DEBIT card in Chile (other fees to use my CREDIT card, as it is a cash advance). And MOST banks charge a currency conversion fee-usually 3% (but you are also getting the overnight Federal funds conversion rate, based on MILLIONS of dollars converted, so generally a MUCH better conversion rate).

IF you use an ATM, take as much money as you think you will need on your first ATM withdrawal. Chile takes credit cards for hotels, stores, restaurants. Shopping at local markets, taxis and tips are about the only local currency you will need.

Archived