GCT Black Sea

Gatorlady

I would like some feed back about the GCT E. Europe to the Black Sea and the extensions...Transylvania and Prague. We have done 4 other river trips but just want to check this one out. I know that the scenery will not be like the Rhine but is it still a good trip?

Gatorlady I took this trip with GCT 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. The Danube is not as scenery out that way as is the Rhine or Mosel Rivers but going through the Iron Gate Lock was worth seeing. I took the pre trip to Sinaia in Transylvania which was very interesting. The cruise also allowed me to see some of the old Eastern Bloc Countries that I had never been too. One thing I enjoyed was GCT hired a train to take everyone from Bucharest to Constanta on the Black Sea to meet the ship The River Aria. I am not sure if they still do that now or what else has changed on the trip. I do remember it was in July and very hot on some of the stops and the Hotel New Montana in Sinaia did not have AC as they said it usually never gets that hot there. I enjoyed the trip as it was so different from any of the other places I had been to in Europe. Of course the dollar was worth a lot more back then.

I also took this trip 3 years ago. We took the pre-trip in Prague and enjoyed our stay there. I've heard that the Transylvania was a good extension,too, but didn't take it. Granted the river isn't as scenic, but there were some interesting sights along the way especially the Iron Gates area. It was neat seeing all those EAstern Europe countries that had been behind the Iron Curtain for so many years. The train ride from Constanta to Bucharest was very nice, but looks like they are using a bus for that leg of the trip now. I'm glad I took that trip, but it's not one that I'd care to repeat.

Bucharest is an interesting city. We took a Uniworld cruise from there to Budapest a few years ago. We stayed two nights on our own at the Intercontinental in Bucharest, then two nights included in the cruise, at the Marriott. We liked the Intercontinental much better. If you can stay on an upper floor, you will have a great view of the city. The Intercontinental is also downtown, so the museums, etc. are walkable.

I would bet your Transylvania tour takes you to "Dracula's" castle. It is interesting but debatable as to whether is was really Dracula's.

The History Channel has Dracula as the founder of Bucharest.

Our trip to Constanta was by bus.

Everyone should visit Prague at least once.

Budapest has good opera at the State Opera House.

Bob :rolleyes:

Took this trip 2 years ago and did both the pre -trip in Prague and the post in Transylvania and enjoyed both very much. The river part may not be as scenic, but the countries visited were fascinating. This was an educational trip for me. Unfortunately, the side trip to Holloko we enjoyed so much is not offered and the train ride from Black Sea to Bucharest is not being done, but I would still include the trip as a great experience. Prague was a very interesting walking city. Our hotel was not downtown, but was only a short, easy subway ride away.

I would like some feed back about the GCT E. Europe to the Black Sea and the extensions...Transylvania and Prague. We have done 4 other river trips but just want to check this one out. I know that the scenery will not be like the Rhine but is it still a good trip?

Check out my report on this board. We were on Vantage, but I believe the itinerary is the same. We actually started in Budapest, so didn't do Prague, but have been there previously. We stayed in Romania for 2 days after the cruise was over and went to Transylvania. Arranged a private guide/driver for 4 persons. Would highly recommend this over the 4 day trip the cruise co. offered. You are correct about the scenery. The only really pretty part is the cruise through the Iron Gates. This area is very interesting, though, due to the fact that they have only been free of Communist rule for 19 yrs. and they're trying very hard to build their tourism.

Archived