Beach question

Mommy40

Hello,

I haven't been to Barbados in over 15 years so I really need to be updated. Last time I was there was on a cruise and we went to a beach for the day. It was one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. BUT, there were police on horseback on the beach with guns and they told us not to leave our stuff and go in the water without one of us watching it. Is this still the case or is it safer now? I am traveling as an only adult with some kids, (teenagers and a 10 year old) I really would like to make this a beach day but am a little worried. Any help would be appreciated.

We've lived on the island in the NA winters for almost 20 years and I am unable to remember police on horseback with weapons.

Regardless, Barbados is like any other Caribbean island: You don't go to isolated beaches by yourself and you don't leave your stuff on the beach while you're in the water.

The crime rate in Barbados is quite low by any standard. Many islands that are much smaller, including two that are U.S. territories, have a higher crime rate.

Please enjoy and not to worry. :) :) :)

Thanks for your reply. I know I was on a Celebrity cruise and it was a ship excursion that took us to a hotel beach. Maybe it was a fluke and there was a problem there that day or something. The ship doesnt seem to be offering just a beach day which is what I would like to do.

Any suggestions?

Barbados has some wonderful beaches. The west coast beaches are close to the ship and are calm and tranquil.

Mullins beach, Barbados

mullins2.JPG

As are the south coast beaches (most of the time).

Accra beach, Barbados at dusk

accra2.JPG

But our East and SE coast beaches take the cake...but be careful swimming, just relax and enjoy the beauty!

Crane beach, Barbados

crane5.jpg

The west coast beaches are a short walk or a US$5-10 taxi ride away from the pier. South coast are a US$10-15 taxi ride away and SE coast (Crane) is perhaps US$13-20 away.

I encourage you to be bold and taxi to one of our wonderful beaches and keep the money in your pocket that you would have given to the cruise line.

We won't let anything happen to you, we want you to have a super time and return for a longer stay.

My best wishes for a wonderful holiday on my favorite island! :) :)

What beautiful pictures! So is it walkable or would you recommend a taxi?

I assume they have chairs to rent etc.? I really do appreciate all your help. I am not trying to offend it's just that it is me by myself with two teenage girls and a 10 year old so I am a little leery. I travel quite a bit with the kids alone but haven't been here in so long I just want to make sure I am being smart.

Barbados, we are arriving on Barbados on Nov. 1 (on the Sea Princess) and are planning on renting a condo or house for a week. We are going to be diving with a dive shop group near the Hilton.

Could you please let us know what area would be the best to rent in? I don't want to be too far from the dive group. We would like to be clost to, or on a beach. We are planning on using VRBO for the rental.

Thank-you, JoAnn

Sorry for hijacking this topic.

Mommy40.....With the group that you have, I'd stay on the West coast beaches. Closer, safer, calmer. Cabing-it is the best. Take 1/2 hour and read some of the Barbados threads here, you may be pleased......

Wendy...All beaches are free in Barbados. It would appear that many are private, but there is always a public access point. Chair rentals cost unless you're staying at a resort on the beach....

JoAnn, are you talking November, 2008 or 2009?

This is perhaps a little late for a superior room, but there should be a few medium-to-lower rooms. November is our 'shoulder season' and things get booked quickly.

I am unable to recommend a particular establishment, but you should be looking for a condo on our SW to S coast, e.g., in the area of 'The Gap'. This is in the area of the Hilton.

Please remember, Barbados is a small island easily transversed, so don't be too particular in the area....What is important is that you move quickly to find your spot.

You'll enjoy the diving here, we first came to Barbados to dive the Stavronikita and never really left.

ENJOY! :)

Barbados - thanks for posting the great pictures. My husband and I will be in Barbados in November (2008) for the day. We are experienced snorkelers would love to do some snorkeling while in Barbados. Are there any recommendations that you could make for great snorkeling from shore. I had heard about Batts Rock beach but the pictures I saw didn't really look like great snorkeling. Thank you! :)

Jessie

The best snorkeling from shore is at Folkstone park. Perhaps 15 minutes North of the pier. I'm a very critical snorkeler, so I would rate the shore snorkeling here as a 5-6 on a scale of 1-10. Barbados offers a 7-8 rating on offshore snorkeling. Little Cayman or the Grenadines it isn't, but it holds it's own with the other islands.

Beach names to Google on the West coast: Paynes; Accra; Mullins; Folkstone; Heywoods, Sandy, Fitts, Brandons and Batts.

Beach names to Google on the South coast: Miami; Maxwell; Needhams; Rockley (Accra)

Beach names to Google on the SE and East coast: Bathsheba; Cattlewash; Bath; Ragged Point; Tent; Crane.

I'm sure that I have missed some but this will give you a start. Remember: West coast is close to the ship and calm. South coast 15-20 minutes from the ship and not quite as calm (generally). East coast: beautiful but hazardous swimming.

Enjoy! :)

Barbados - thanks again for the great information. We are critical snorkelers as well. I had read about Folkstone Park - just a couple questions... Is this also a nice beach? I know typically good snorkeling spots don't always have nice beaches, but just wondering. Also, I think I read somewhere that you can take a bus there? Is this true? and is there any problems getting back to the ship from there?

I have also been doing a lot of reading about snorkeling with the turtles which sounds great but most of the tours I've looked into don't seem like they're necessarily for the "serious" snorkeler. We would be more concerned about doing a lot of good snorkeling rather than unlimited rum punch and a 5-star lunch, you know what I mean. Do you know of any good tour operators that would do more of a good snorkeling excursion? I think I also read that you can find tour operators at Folkstone that will take you out to the turtle area, as swimming out there may be dangerous.

Thanks again! :)

Due to the forum restrictions I am unable to recommend any particular tour operator. However, if you spend an hour on the various threads, you’ll have a good feeling……

There are tour operators that cater to the serious snorkeler, you will just have to dig a little. You really just want to snorkel over the ship wrecks in Carlisle Bay (200 or 400, I can’t remember….but a bunch)…..You will find people at Folkstone and other beaches to take you out for a nominal fee, but Folkstone is the closest to Dottins Reef, and that’s where the fish hang out.

I wouldn’t swim out, regardless of what you’ve heard.

The beach itself at Folkstone is poor and rocky, but above and below it is fine.

Due to the forum restrictions I am unable to recommend any particular tour operator. However, if you spend an hour on the various threads, you’ll have a good feeling……

There are tour operators that cater to the serious snorkeler, you will just have to dig a little. You really just want to snorkel over the ship wrecks in Carlisle Bay (200 or 400, I can’t remember….but a bunch)…..You will find people at Folkstone and other beaches to take you out for a nominal fee, but Folkstone is the closest to Dottins Reef, and that’s where the fish hang out.

The beach itself at Folkstone is poor and rocky, but above and below it is fine.

Great thank you again Barbados, Do you know if buses run to Folkstone during the day and if so, what the cost is?

I will do some research on the tour operators that do the turtle excursion.

:)

Yes, busses and ZRs run often up Spring Garden Hwy (the main N-S road on the west coast).

Busses are US$.75/ea and the ZR vans are US$1.00/ea.

Catch them near the roundabout after you leave the Gatehouse (exit of the dock facility).

Tell the driver that you want to get off at Folkstone and he'll pull over there for you and let you know that you have arrived. The busses that you want say 'out of town'. Just ask anyone and they'll be glad to help.

Mr. Barbados,

My husband and I will be crusing into Barbados on February 18. To that end, we would like to spend a lot of time on the beach. Any one that is a must see and very relaxing? Also, what are some of the "must see" sights of Barbados that we should tell the taxi driver we would like to see. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Counting the days to our visit to your island!

Nancy

Barbados - thanks again for the information. We are trying to figure out where Folkstone Park is.... is it near Holetown? It looks like there are boats in the water at the top and bottom of this picture, just trying to figure out where we need to be.

ry%3D320

Also, how is the snorkeling at Brighton Beach? From the aerial shots it looks like there is decent bottom there.

Thanks again! :)

The area directly to the left of the 'Holetown' marker with the white 'breakers' is Folkstone. If you call-up Holetown in Google Earth (I think that's what you did), there are a few click-on pix of the beach and area.

I don't know about Brighton Beach, never snorkeled of dove there, but I suspect that it isn't as good as a shore-snorkel from Folkstone, or a boat-snorkel.

Many people are unaware that, with prior reservations, you can snorkel along with a dive boat for as cheaply as US$20 for a couple of hours! And they go to the good spots! There are a few dynamite spots up north over the wrecks.

Google 'dive Barbados' and you will find many.....sorry, but I am unable to recommend one, but they're all quite good, rest assured.

Have a great time and take a chance! ;)

Archived