Uniworld Castles Along the Rhine or Rhine Discovery

cruiser kathy

I am looking at either taking a cruise early in November or a Christmas Cruise early December. I sailed on Uniworld's River Empress a few years ago Budapest to Amsterdam and loved every minute.

The two itineraries I am looking at for early November are:

UNIWORLD, CASTLES ALONG THE RHINE - RIVER AMBASSADOR - Basel, Breisach (Colmar), Strasbroug, Speyer, Rudesheim, Koblenz, Cologne ending in Amsterdam.

UNIWORLD RHINE DISCOVERY - RIVER COUNTESS - Neuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Mitenberg, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg, ending in Basel.

What does everyone recommend? I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

We have only been on three river cruises. The second was Amsterdam to Basel. The first was Wurzburg to the Rhine, then to Koblenz and up the Mosel to Trier. The third was Black Sea below Bucharest to Budapest. We found very little of interest between Strasbourg and Basel. Mountains are five or ten miles to the east, and that was about it. Basel is OK, but we stayed only one night before going to Zermatt to board the Glacier Express for a trip to St. Moritz. The train was great, if you have the extra time for it, but I would not travel the Rhine all the way for Basel only.

The best part of the Rhine is that between the Main River and Koblenz, by far. The Mosel is interesting all the way.

As an old Roman city, Trier is interesting, worth a night's stay. I think the rail from there to Frankfort airport is good. We rented a car to stop and see old German friends close to Ramstein, and then to pick up a leased car at the Frankfort airport, so I cannot be certain about the train to the airport, but I think it is good. I do know that the train goes into the airport terminal.

I hope I have not confused things, but thought I should give my impression.

Bob :cool:

Archived