how to build a web site

evgal/nj

i love everyones web sites & would love to make one for our up coming ta 10/23. how do you get started, are there sites that allow you to make & publish the the web sites for free? we've googled free web sites & were suprised when they said you could set them up for free but it was $2-20.00/ mo to publish them.

thanks, karen

Hello!

Google is coming up with new free program called Sites that you might want to check out.

They are closing google page creator which I was using.

You can also check out Yahoo geocities a basic plan is free

or set up a blog through numerous resources that are free.

some require that you have advertising though.

Also, if you have a mac there are programs to use, which some others on this section are using with great success.

I moved my site using godaddy.com and website tonight builder.

We also purchased our own domain name..

Below there's a post I began about googlepages shutting down and many people suggested alternative hosting sites besides godaddy that you might be interested in checking out.

Feel free to check out my website, I have no experience and am self taught. It began about 9 months ago, I went live in March and added a stat counter then, there's been over 13,000 hits.

We will never do advertising ads because it is designed as our personal journal, just like I hand wrote and then lent it to you read and flip through the photo albums..

but then I think after 13,000 hits what if each time someone gave 10 cents...that's a nice travel fund we would have! :D

If you have any questions just let me know...

K.

ourpassportstamps.com

quote=evgal/nj;16277314]i love everyones web sites & would love to make one for our up coming ta 10/23. how do you get started, are there sites that allow you to make & publish the the web sites for free? we've googled free web sites & were suprised when they said you could set them up for free but it was $2-20.00/ mo to publish them.

thanks, karen

When I looked into setting up our own web site I decided that I did not want to be bothered with 'free' sites because you always end up having very restrictive web pages and the annoying ads. I wanted something that I could create, add new pages with layouts that I thought appropriate for the pictures and narrative I wanted to combine.

So, with some help of a 'computer friend', I looked into several companies that offer the 'publication service', the server that will put your web pages on the internet. One of those is a company called 1and1. Go to http://order.1and1.com for details.

Essentially you need to select a ‘domain’ or a web site title that has not yet been selected. With our unusual last name ***** that was not a problem, but you may encounter problems if you select names that are commonly used. This search is free.

Once you have a domain (I think I had to pay a small fee of five dollars or so), you then have to subscribe to the publication of your web pages. For this I pay about 40 dollars per year. When you think about it, that is not outrageous because it requires computer systems that can store mega tons of information and make it available on the internet. Someone has to pay for that. Most customers of 1and1 are probably businesses, but they will take any ones money. I decided to go this route because it is a nice way to save details of our projects, trips, etc. Our friends and relatives can see this 'show' at their leisure and it is a fun way to communicate at Christmas time.

Of course, before you can publish pages you have to create them. For this I use a software program called Dreamweaver. You can see examples of what can be done with this by going to our web site. There are several options that I have not yet used including adding sound, movie clips, etc.

If you like more information about all of this let me know or contact one of the server companies.

Archived