Just In, CruiseShip inroute to house people in Galveston area

Wennfred

the report said a ship was on the way. If that is the case it can't be the conquest because it is still docked in NO. Maybe the ectasy will go strait to galveston. They people from galveston could just stay on it. I know from going through Katrina I would have loved to stay on the ship and be able to get off to work on my house during the day but have a nice room to go to at night. I'm just not sure how they will get the people who don't live in galveston out of there.

Carnival Ecstasy September 11, 2008 Departure

The Carnival Ecstasy cruise that departed on September 11, 2008 will return to New Orleans on Tuesday, September 16 (2:00 PM arrival). Guests will be able to debark on Tuesday or Wednesday. Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.

Yes, so maybe that will be the one left for resident housing.

I can see the Holiday going to Galveston and the Ecstacy going to Mobile. It would make sense as the Ecstacy holds more people and it's been proven already a Fantasy Class ship can go in/out of Mobile. But I would be dissapointed as we booked the Holiday in order to sail her before she leaves. I can also see the Conquest going to NOLA and Cruising from there until Galveston is repaired or until she goes into dry dock in January. But the plain and simple truth is only time will tell...........

Houston Chronicle confirms that it is a Carnival ship, but doesn't specify name or when it will start. Interesting note was that it says it is for "displaced residents."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6002679.html

According to the Galveston Mayor:

""We are also looking to bring a cruise ship into our port for the housing of the people who are here to help with our recovery," Thomas said."

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=&article=4242936

They still want the people left on the island to leave.

My bet is the Splendor...:D

Seriously though, if you think about it the Conquest may make mode sense. It is alrady scheduled for a drydock in January (?) so they can use that ship and then send it for the drydock and bring it out good as new.

I just pray that Galveston can recover (no only because I cruise from there but because it is a great city to visit and have fun at and I am sure that those that live and work there want it to recover and rebuild.)

Maybe this is the time for the Houston Cruise Ship Terminal to open up?

the report said a ship was on the way.

what report? Houston Chronicle says they don't know when it will be there:

The walls of the cruise ship terminal were ripped out by the hurricane and federal dive teams are arriving to survey damage to the harbor, Cahill said.

Dozens of tankers are stacking up at the entrance to the Ship Channel, awaiting a chance to get into the ports of Galveston and Houston.

Thomas said the city secured a Carnival Cruise Lines ship to house displaced residents, but officials don't know when it will arrive because Galveston's harbor has to be cleared of debris.

>>Guests will also be able to remain onboard and sail back to Galveston with the ship. However, we are uncertain about when the Port of Galveston will re-open.<<

As they are letting all passengers wishing to stay on Conquest and taking it back to Galvenston, that would be the ship. They will already have Galvenston residents on it. Would that mean the gov is picking up the bill.

most likely it does....

Nita

I have such mixed emotions about this. Part of it makes me sound selfish.

I hate to see the ships come to help, because last time, Carnival got such grief about it.

The other part of me, is glad that a ship will be provided for the workers who have given up there time, to come and help. As far as the residents of Galveston that did not leave. NO WAY!!

the report said a ship was on the way. If that is the case it can't be the conquest because it is still docked in NO. Maybe the ectasy will go strait to galveston. They people from galveston could just stay on it. I know from going through Katrina I would have loved to stay on the ship and be able to get off to work on my house during the day but have a nice room to go to at night. I'm just not sure how they will get the people who don't live in galveston out of there.

Hey man you made Cruise News with your quote!

Just watched a report from KHOU, a guy went out with the Coast Guard to inspect the ship channel, they saw chairs, furniture and cows in the bay. One of the biggest issues was the buoys have been displaced and need to be put back. The depth of the center of the channel was unchanged, That's good news. They are now fanning out to make sure it is passable

Hundred of container ships are outside the channel waiting for clearance to get in. They estimate a couple of more days.

They did go by the passenger pier in Galvestion, there is some damage to the dock area and one of the gang ways was blown backwards. The cars, sorry folks, they look bad.

They are really trying hard to open the ship channel.

I strongly suggest that one and all read John Heald's Blog today:

http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/lettersept15.jpg

This tells us the actual thinking, as of this morning, of Carnival.

Doc

Here's the link to the blog itself:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/09/15/when-im-back-on-my-feet-again/

Theron

Doubt they are going to need the ships for the residents, almost all the island evacuated. There were about 150 who went to Ball High School (the emergency shelter) and those who are being rescued are being put on buses for Austin. Most of the BOI's who stayed are prepared to tough it out in their houses.

I'm not sure they need them for the workers either. San Luis is the official emergency headquarters, it's built to withstand a 16mm shell (it was the WWII bunker for protecting the coast from enemy attact, it stood up really well to the hurricanes. They have generators up there as well.

So if any ships do show up I'm betting they are for the workers.

Since everyone is contemplating what will happen, it would be my guess that the Conquest will remain in New Orleans and continue the 7 day cruises from there - the Fantasy which is currently in Mobile in drydock would return to New Orleans to do the 4 & 5 day cruises and the Ecstasy would go to Galveston to house relief workers.

The Conquest can be seen from the New Orleans Webcam ( photo is slow to load here).

fullsize.jpg

Out of curiosity, what happens to the staff members who are used to receiving tips as a major part of their income? If the ship houses workers, do you think they still tip the wait staff and stewards?

I think it's great that Carnival is helping (I'm sure they're paid a bundle!) but I wonder if the money still makes it to the staff....

Guy's who do stuff like that are the real heroes

Agreed! Back in the late '90s when there were all the fires in Florida, firefighters came from all over the US to help. I remember driving through Palm Coast, with rows and rows of blackened, ruined houses. One was standing, and written on the front in ash was "This house was saved by ladder crew 23 from Wyoming." It brought tears to my eyes and I will never, ever forget that sight.

Since everyone is contemplating what will happen, it would be my guess that the Conquest will remain in New Orleans and continue the 7 day cruises from there - the Fantasy which is currently in Mobile in drydock would return to New Orleans to do the 4 & 5 day cruises and the Ecstasy would go to Galveston to house relief workers.

The Conquest can be seen from the New Orleans Webcam ( photo is slow to load here).

fullsize.jpg

Let me just throw this out there FWIW. The port of Galveston is in disarray as is the entire area. Carnival is notoriously slow and deliberate in making major moves. They were in coming back to NOLA after Katrina. They really like to test the waters before they commit. I think it will be the same way with the Texas market. All that being said, here goes. Conquest will remain in NOLA indefinitely. Holiday goes to Texas to be a hotel. Ecstasy remains in NOLA indefinitely. Fantasy comes out of drydock and takes over for Holiday getting an early jump on cruising from Mobile. When Holiday gets done with the hotel duty it goes in for it's 60-90 refurb and goes to Spain early. When Galveston gets back up to speed probably in a year, Ecstasy returns but Conquest does not. Triumph still goes to NOLA in 2009 but only doing 4/5 day cruises.

Archived