Ike, C&E, and sad, water-logged cars

figs

OK, now that all the info seems to be "known": How many of you would change your minds re: Conquest and Ecstasy sailings? When Ike was approaching (but long before the evac period ended), several posters were saying how much of a bad idea a cruise seemed, when the port was in harm's way. Many other posters said that was silly, that they'd totally go without even worrying, etc.

Now that we know that the passengers have to figure out how to get from a new port to their homes, deal with the stress and hassle of not knowing what was gonna happen to them for a few days, have destroyed cars sitting in the next state over, may have missed work, etc.....how do you feel now?

I'm not sayin' it's all bad---they didn't get hurt in the storm, extra days on a vacation can't ever be too awful, etc. I'm just sayin' that if it was me, there's no way I would have gotten on those ships. The loss of my car, my plans to get home, and my peace of mind would have been way too much of a cost. What about you guys?

OK, now that all the info seems to be "known": How many of you would change your minds re: Conquest and Ecstasy sailings? When Ike was approaching (but long before the evac period ended), several posters were saying how much of a bad idea a cruise seemed, when the port was in harm's way. Many other posters said that was silly, that they'd totally go without even worrying, etc.

Now that we know that the passengers have to figure out how to get from a new port to their homes, deal with the stress and hassle of not knowing what was gonna happen to them for a few days, have destroyed cars sitting in the next state over, may have missed work, etc.....how do you feel now?

I'm not sayin' it's all bad---they didn't get hurt in the storm, extra days on a vacation can't ever be too awful, etc. I'm just sayin' that if it was me, there's no way I would have gotten on those ships. The loss of my car, my plans to get home, and my peace of mind would have been way too much of a cost. What about you guys?

I always take the gamble

withl cruising in Hurricane season.. I deal with the punches as I would get them..

I always take the gamble

withl cruising in Hurricane season.. I deal with the punches as I would get them..

Oh, I'm not talking about hurricane season! I'm talking about getting onboard, knowing that you're leaving a really bad situation behind you. I'm cruising Oct 11th, I'm taking the bet, too. But if there was a hurricane bearing down on Norfolk, you better believe I, personally, would stay safe at home a few hundred miles away instead of heading to the port for my cruise. I guess my point is not about hurricane season, but about hurricanes, period. Haha, a good way to put it---I don't gamble with a sure thing.

I stayed quiet when the topic kept coming up about traveling and leaving on the cruises that were scheduled to leave while the hurricane was supposed to be approaching. My first thoughts were that since I've never experienced a hurricane maybe my imagination had the scenerio much worse than it really is. There was this nagging feeling of relief that I did not have to actually make a choice since I wasn't going on a cruise myself. I always buy insurance and honestly can see wanting to cancel if the cruise I was scheduled to go on was in an area where evacuations were occuring. I'm not one to panic easily but I'd have a very hard time going into an area being evacuated. I'd expect that perhaps those in charge had good reason for issuing the evacuation order. I could also see myself stuck in the middle of it all because the ship I was supposed to be on was delayed getting back leaving me in Galveston wishing I had stayed home and was safe. If I had to drive to the port I would have wanted to find alternate transportation for fear that I'd have no way home after. I can't imagine being on a cruise and worrying about my vehicle.

The bottom line for me is that my vacations are a time for me to relax and I couldn't relax if I had to worry about getting stuck in Galveston, having to evacuate the area myself and my vehicle being totalled while I was gone. Now I could on the other hand deal with having my ports re-routed, being delayed in returning and having to re-schedule my air back home. Those are things I could deal with.

To tell the truth I really didn't think about it. I went on the Inspiration out of Tampa, and tropical storm Fay was comming. I parked my car in Tampa on the second level in the parking garage. It never crossed my mind. You have to think positive about things.

I agree with crazed - it would be difficult to enjoy your vacation if you were constantly worried about whether or not a hurricane was going to hit where you parked your car.

Yes, I have insurance for my vehicle, but still.... I don't think I would have taken the chance. I would have sadly cancelled my vacation and stayed home.

I also have kids, and I wouldn't want them worrying about me unnecessarily out there in the middle of the ocean while there was a hurricane churning.

I wouldve gone. We drive to the ports so driving home from somewhere else wouldnt have mattered. Of course we got 7 inches of rain from Ike yesterday all the way up here in Illinois but no damage etc so I personally WOULDNT have been worried about our home. I also usually leave our car at the hotels not at the port plus it would be my hubbys work acar anyways, so I would still go :)

I sailed on the Holiday right in front of Gustav. I live in southern MS and had the eye of Katrina come over the top of us. I would rather be on the ship than have to sit through another hurricane. As far as the home, there is nothing I could have done being here or not being here. I did make sure we parked on the upper part of the parking garage just in case there was a tidal surge.

That may be one of the things that Galveston will want to look at is elevated parking. New Orleans based the design of their new terminal off the one from Mobile. They put screens up in the openings to prevent flying debris from damaging people's vehicles.

Dave

I would have went in a heartbeat and I would have driven to the port. My car would have been at harbor house hotel or port parking so I guess Id be gettin off in louisana flying home and buying a new car tommorow. I've been lookinh at the new Ford flex anyways.

Archived