Kona snorkeling - Body Glove vs Hula Kai vs Capt Zodiac

kayo kruiser

We'll be on PofA in November and want to book a snorkelling tour for the Kona port.

I originally was going to go with the Hula Kai's 9:30 am excursion which takes you farthest south, into some remote spots, etc. BUT I found out that particular excursion won't be available on the day we're in Kona because its running the Fairwinds itinerary to the Capt. Cook monument that day (Fairwinds is in "dry dock" for a period of time in November).

Then, I got a Hawaii Entertainment Book and see that the Body Gloves Kona snorkel adventure has a 2 for 1 coupon - thus, saving $120!!!

Now, I've read that the Captain Zodiac tour is the most adventurous, highly recommended for Kona.

I've struggling as to what to do - which of the 3 should we go with????

Any suggestions?

• Administrators
We'll be on PofA in November and want to book a snorkelling tour for the Kona port.

I originally was going to go with the Hula Kai's 9:30 am excursion which takes you farthest south, into some remote spots, etc. BUT I found out that particular excursion won't be available on the day we're in Kona because its running the Fairwinds itinerary to the Capt. Cook monument that day (Fairwinds is in "dry dock" for a period of time in November).

Then, I got a Hawaii Entertainment Book and see that the Body Gloves Kona snorkel adventure has a 2 for 1 coupon - thus, saving $120!!!

Now, I've read that the Captain Zodiac tour is the most adventurous, highly recommended for Kona.

I've struggling as to what to do - which of the 3 should we go with????

Any suggestions?

Where do you want to snorkel? :) Body Glove goes to Pawai, and I've seen some good reviews of them here. They furnish services to the cruiselines that stop at Kona, so are clearly reputable. As you say, you have an E-Book coupon, but be sure you can use it -- companies who furnish excursions for the cruiseline are usually prohibited by contract from booking independent travelers on days the ships are in port, as the cruiseline has reserved all their capacity (that's why Captain Zodiac is exclusively a ship excursion on NCLA).

Both Captain Zodiac and Fair Wind/Hula Kai (same company) in your case will go to Kealakekua Bay since as you mention normally the Hula Kai doesn't snorkel there, just stops for a little history discussion, but it will be covering the FW's drydock.

Relating how I resolved this for our trip, here's how I narrowed our snorkel choices at Kona. First -- where to snorkel? I read and read, and chose Kealakekua Bay for several reasons, including its historic value -- not just the place Captain Cook landed and was later killed, but also the fact that it's the ancient burial place for the ali'i (Hawaiian royalty) -- as well as the consistent reports of excellent-to-phenomenal snorkeling there.

Second -- what kind of boat? Zodiac boats (Captain Zodiac or Sea Quest) or a catamaran were the choices. We are a mid-40's couple, with some mobility and arthritis issues, plus I am very fair skinned and really NEED a shade option on outdoor activities, so we decided on the catamaran. Twenty years ago we probably would have chosen the zodiacs and loved it -- it just wasn't going to work for us now. That decision was totally correct for us, which we learned as soon as we arrived at K Bay:

Zodiacs on site at Kealakekua Bay:

2907387990101795198S425x425Q85.jpg

Back end of Fair Wind on site at Kealakekua Bay

2946721650101795198S425x425Q85.jpg

The Hula Kai (taken as she blew our doors off on her way southbound):

2770655230101795198S425x425Q85.jpg

Overall, for us we wanted the shade, indoor plumbing, barbeque lunch, stairs for easy water entry/exit, and varying flotation devices offered by Fair Wind. Younger, more adventurous types would no doubt have had a marvelous time bouncing off the wave tops in the rubber raft, climbing the ladder back into the boat, peeing where the fishies do (;)) and so on.

So I can't "recommend" for you -- but hopefully this info and the photos will give you some help in deciding what will work for your particular party. :) Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Michell - Great post! Agree with all you wrote. We've been on Fairwind several times and love it. Last visit we wanted to go on the Hula Kai but it doesn't usually go out every day and wouldn't you know, the day we were there it didn't! Loved your picture of the Hula Kai speeding by. We had the same experience when that boat was new and they were on a coastal cruise to decide just where they would eventually take passengers. My daughter and SIL took the Hula Kai once and loved it - more of an "adventure" than the Fairwind because of its speed, very comfortable they said. We hope to take the Hula Kai someday, but the Zodiacs are just too bumpy and awkward to get in and out of for us. We would not take Body Glove as we love K Bay for snorkeling, history, and the beauty of the place. Bar-b-que lunch also a plus. We'd jump at the chance to take the Hula Kai. Aloha!

My recommendation would be Capt. Zodiac. I've done the catamaran thing, so I wanted to try something different. It was fantastic! I'm 58 and I was traveling with my 14 yr-old DD. We both consider it one of the top 3 things we did on our 2 weeks in Hawaii.

I'd read a great many posts that noted it was a bumpy rider, but I figured that when I go to Disney World, I go for the Rockin' Roller Coaster ... not the ferry boats, so I had to give this a try and I'm glad I did. If you want a full report, check out post number 16 at the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821097

Thanks for the recommendations. TreasureQuest: I really enjoyed reading your post from your adventure on Captain Zodiac. MichellP: great pictures!

Not sure yet what we'll do. I called Body Glove and they said they'd honour the 2 for 1 Entertainment coupon. I think, however, I'd prefer the K Bay/Capt. Cook monument location for snorkelling.

Having worked for Body Glove for two years and now working for Sea Hawaii Rafting (zodiac company that goes to Kealakekua Bay) I would highly recommend going to Kealakekua Bay. Being that it is our marine sanctuary and number 1 snorkeling spot in the state of Hawaii its well worth the trip. Whether you get there via Fairwind (very good option as well) or a zodiac you will not be disappointed.

Archived