What to tell a newbie going on their 1st cruise?

Avril

My Mom and I are taking my Aunt on her 1st ever cruise on the Freedom in May 2009. :D I was just wondering, what should I tell her/show her about the Freedom, Carnival and/or cruising in general? I've tried to tell her about Embarkation and Muster Drill and I've shown her a couple of videos of the Freedom that I found on youtube. I want to give her a good idea of what to expect but not give away all the surprises/secrets. Should I show her the "Fun Ship Film" from the last time I was on Freedom or is that giving away too much? Any ideas? What would you tell a newbie before you got to the ship and set sail?

Thanks!! :D

Take twice as much money and half as much clothes. Leave her cares and troubles behind at the pier. Roll with the punches when things aren't perfect. Most likely you will not see these people again so have fun. I think she may like seeing your Funship film. I know I would.

My best advice is: don't let small inconveniences annoy her. No cruise is perfect but they are so wonderful, you can't let little things ruin your trip. I hope your Mom's first cruise exceeds all her expectations.

I would show her the film to help with the excitement. As you know, the grandeur of the cruise can NOT be captured on film.:D

Take what you want from the boards, are opinons are just that.If you want to have a great time you will.If you are a picky person and nit pick at the littlest thing then don't expect to get much fun out of your vacation.

We will offer you suggestions, money saving tips, tipping opinions( some very strong views on this one), and just about any other information we can but remember we are all individuals with individual experiences and views and may not agree with each others.

A cruise is everything you make it to be..make the best out of it and have a great time!

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!! :D

Take twice as much money and half as much clothes. Leave her cares and troubles behind at the pier. Roll with the punches when things aren't perfect. Most likely you will not see these people again so have fun. I think she may like seeing your Funship film. I know I would.

Agreed 100% but for some reason, didn't think of it myself. I think I will show her the film sometime when she's over. We're having so much fun planning this cruise!! :D

My best advice is: don't let small inconveniences annoy her. No cruise is perfect but they are so wonderful, you can't let little things ruin your trip. I hope your Mom's first cruise exceeds all her expectations.

I would show her the film to help with the excitement. As you know, the grandeur of the cruise can NOT be captured on film.:D

Very true, We've already had a small inconveniance. :( We were booked on the Miracle 8 Day Eastern Caribbean from New York. However, Mom adn I were on a cruise and came back to find that Carnival had totaly changed the itinerary to something that might take 6 days but certainly not 8. :mad: We switched to the 8 Day Western out of Fort Lauderdale. None of us are upset (anymore) and it won't ruin the cruise.

By the way, it's my Aunt who's the newbie. My Mom has been on almost as many cruises as I have.

You're absolutly right, the grandeur of cruising can't be caught on any film, Fun Ship or not!! :D

You all have done all you have to and know all your have to for your cruise. Your booked and are just waiting to board the ship. Once on board just go with the flow and you will have the time of your life. Don't bother about the small things just have the best time of your lives. How can you not your on a cruise ship?

I actually am in the same boat. Well a different boat but...lol

I am planning a cruise for myself and 4 of my friends who have never been on a cruise before. I have told them the same thing fellow posters have mentioned. And to take there ginger pills 2 days ahead of time for sea sickness prevention. You just never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Pungo, and would add: don't try and do everything in the Capers. Not that you could if you wanted, but sticking to a tight schedule is not very relaxing (IMHO).

And most important of all, HAVE FUN!!! She will love it, I'm sure.

Happy cruising!

Each cruise is adventure.... Take the good with the bad, just as life.. Take lots of pictures... Talk to your dinning room table guest and get their stories of their Familys and Cruises. You will have stories to tell your friends and family. Each Cruise is different and enjoy everthing the ship and the ports have to offer..... You will love it

Post your Comments, for us to enjoy

See you on the ocean

Leedm

I have introduced several friends & family to cruising. I just give them the web address for Cruise Critic & tell them how to find the Roll Call and turn them loose!

I also give gifts of the odd things to pack like a lanyard, highlighter, post-its, rum runners, travel size goodies, etc. everyone I've taken cruising loved it and have either cruised again or really want to.

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a goody bag to mail to my sister for our upcoming cruise.

I have introduced several friends & family to cruising. I just give them the web address for Cruise Critic & tell them how to find the Roll Call and turn them loose!

I also give gifts of the odd things to pack like a lanyard, highlighter, post-its, rum runners, travel size goodies, etc. everyone I've taken cruising loved it and have either cruised again or really want to.

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a goody bag to mail to my sister for our upcoming cruise.

That's a FABULOUS idea! :D

My Mom and I are taking my Aunt on her 1st ever cruise on the Freedom in May 2009. :D I was just wondering, what should I tell her/show her about the Freedom, Carnival and/or cruising in general? I've tried to tell her about Embarkation and Muster Drill and I've shown her a couple of videos of the Freedom that I found on youtube. I want to give her a good idea of what to expect but not give away all the surprises/secrets. Should I show her the "Fun Ship Film" from the last time I was on Freedom or is that giving away too much? Any ideas? What would you tell a newbie before you got to the ship and set sail?

Thanks!! :D

Hi! My sis and I are going on the Freedom in March 09 for our birthdays. I've tried telling her a little of what to expect from what little I know and what I've found on here. I'm thinkin of goin shopping to put together "cruise" stuff ie.travel size goodies etc and plan our "attire" and I think that alone will get her psyched about the trip! (We are really "girly" girls and like to look cute!) Where did you get the "Fun Ship Film" cause we would love to see it?! Its her first cruise too and we are too excited! What excursions are you guys planning? Any tips or suggestions since you've been on the Freedom b4? Thanks for your help! :D

In the dining room.........order as many appetizers and main courses that you want to..........................I was amazed at how many people did not know that they could do that. We love our seafood, everynight we had and appetizer from the menu and a shrimp cocktail. On prime rib night, I also ordered the panko crusted tiger shrimp. On lobster night, we all had 3 lobster tails. The night they had escargot, my husband had 3 servings and my daughters each had 2, I had one and a shrimp cocktail.

We had late seating, so usually around 4 or 5 pm we would be hungry. We would go to the Lido restaurant and have a dessert with a nice hot cup of Lipton tea ( that made my day as it is the only tea I drink) which was enough to hold us till 8:15 for the late seating. Then after 2 appetizers, salad, and the main course, we would not have room for dessert. Then we would go to the show and by 11 pm or so, we'd be hungary again and go to the Lido for another dessert or a burger, two nights we just went back to our cabin and ordered room service.

Eat every two hours and you will never get seasick................

Have a great time ! Eat drink and be merry ! ! ! ! !

dondonma

foxboro ma

Archived