Last cruise for awhile.....

im4clowns

well I have my last cruise in less than 2 weeks. this will be my last one for about 1 year. I usually do at least 2 a year. The reason....my DH and I are finally having a baby right before Christmas via a surrogate!!

I have a cruise planned in April 2009 that has been planned for over a year to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I haven't cancelled yet because I have a sister offering to care for our then 4 month old baby girl....just don't know if I can leave for a week. So has anyone cruised and left baby at home?

Congratulations on the addition to your family!

I would say to keep the booking for now, but be sure to absolutely know when the "final payment" date is. I am going to speculate that you are going to decide to cancel BUT go ahead and ride the decision out until you absolutely have to make it.

Congrats again - we are also expecting (our second) on Dec 20, 2008!

Congratulations on your new addition! How sweet! baby-014.gif

I say, you should go, and enjoy a nice little get-away with your husband. After having the first 4 months loving and bonding with your newborn, they will be perfectly fine while you enjoy some ,often-too-little, special moments alone together! Every couple needs a little of that from time to time. We have been married for over 27 years now. We have always made sure that kids had quality time, and we had our quality time too.We are parents, but we started out as a couple first.

Go, have fun, relax, and maybe think about the next one after this as a new family cruise! Best of everything to you both, Jax:)

Just adding to the wait and see vote. DH and I like to do couples only trips away from the kids from time to time but, we wouldn't with a 4 month old. You won't know how you will feel until after your baby is born. EVERYTHING is different after the baby is born! :D You can cruise whenever but your baby will only be 4 months old once--and only for one month ;) .

Congrats on your soon to be little one!

Congratulations to the both of you!! Best wishes for a very healthy baby!

pppiglet....so nice to see I'm not the only completely crazy mom who still schedules vacations so 20 & 24 year old sons can come along....last cruise was the 4 of us on the Granduer in July.

I know for me...I wouldn't have enjoyed a cruise leaving them at that age...but certainly everyone is different! Even at the ages they are now....I enjoy myself more & far rather have them along than leave them at home! You'll know what's right for you by that time.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for the great feedback! My DH says he know he can go with just the two of us...but we have until feb 9th to decide. I definately would take the baby if she was older so that is another option to just postpone for a few months and take my 21 year old neice along as our nanny....best of both world

well...Getting ready to go on the mariner of the seas this weekend! Can't wait. Hope everyone is having a great evening!!

As others have said only you can decide what is best for you, but i'll give you another story to throw into the mix.

When my DD was 9 months old we had a land based vacation planned. We planned everything around her needs, got a room with a kitchen, close to everything, etc. When it was time to book the airfare my MIL said why are you taking her, she won't remember and you two should have the time together. I said no thanks, but DH kept after me. I finally relented and DD stayed with Grandma while we went on our own. Was it hard for me to do, absolutely, but when we got back I thanked her so much. It was just what we needed, and we've continued to do this every couple of years since.

Fast forward about 18 years DD is now away at college. We have a very close relationship and talk almost every day. She is a sulf sufficient well rounded kid and I don't regret it all taking the time for DH and I to spend alone together. If anything is allowed us the time away to regroup and appreciate the kids even more.

Of course, we do take family vacations as well, and my kids love to cruise. When DD graduated from High School she had the choice of what to do and she picked a cruise! Unfortunately the only week she could go DH and DS couldn't so we had a girls only trip :D . It was wonderful!

I will add my congrats to the others'!!!! Babies are a blessing - whether you have them yourself, have them via a surrogate, or just enjoy your friends/family's babies!

I have a son who will be 3 shortly. We had him after 10 years of marriage. I have gone on two trips since he has been born...one when he was 6 months old and one when he was almost 2 and was not permanently traumatized because of it! We will be going on our cruise in November - this will be DH's first big trip without Nicholas...so he has been a little reluctant..but will be happy enough sitting on our balcony and sipping the "drink of the day"...believe me!

I say go on the vacation while you can! Your baby will not remember...you will not feel guilty for not bringing her along (as you would if she were old enough to enjoy the cruise with you)...and you will need a break by then (trust me). Have fun and enjoy - no matter what you decide!

Archived